Right, I'm building a speaker cabinet, and I have some black grilled speaker cloth to cover the speakers. However, I wish to paint this a different colour.

What would be the best method/type of paint to give a good result that won't just come off when it's rubbed?
Quote by Mathamology
Right, I'm building a speaker cabinet, and I have some black grilled speaker cloth to cover the speakers. However, I wish to paint this a different colour.

What would be the best method/type of paint to give a good result that won't just come off when it's rubbed?
bad plan.

grille cloth is usually synthetic so it probably won't take dye well, if at all.
paint will clog the weave, defeating the purpose.

buy grille cloth the colour that you want for this one
and save the black for when you need black.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
i tried this and it does not work. painting the cloth to some degree closes the pores in the open weave. it makes the speaker sound muffled... and this is with just enough small coats to change the color. i really do suggest going out and buying either reall grille cloth or some other kind of acousticly transparent material.
^ Fair enough guys, cheers for the heads up on that. I'll see what I can find.

EDIT: What about painting tolex then? I have some 'buffalo skin' covering, so if I can't paint the speaker cloth for acoustic reasons, I'd quite like to paint the cabinet itself.
Last edited by Mathamology at May 12, 2008,
For the tolex you can try that bonding stuff used for car interiors. Its not the same as the stuff for plastic. Regular paint will flake off really quick.
Its called MolecuBond paint its for vinyl car interiors. Doorpanels, dashes, seat etc. Its more flexable than the paint used on plastic bumpers. I used it on the interior of VW truck. It hasnt come off in almost 10 years. Not to easy to find sometimes you could try on the internet. It would work for the tolex dont know how it would do for speaker cloth.
I've thought about this too.

How would one go about getting your cab to look like this:

Quote by Aziraphale
I've thought about this too.

How would one go about getting your cab to look like this:

Custom made cloths ?

Edit: I do realise that the quote was unnecesary
Last edited by Evil_Magician at May 13, 2008,
Quote by Evil_Magician
Custom made cloths ?

Edit: I do realise that the quote was unnecesary

Naturally, what I meant was how to do it.
Silk screening might work not sure what it takes to make speaker cloth transparent. Ive seen many speakers with heavy foam on em.
By custom made I meant that instead of using black threads (or whatever they use) they used coloured ones and made a picture . Probably just programed the machine to do that.
(in the factory)

I doubt that you could do it by yourself.