Alright.

Now, I've had an electric guitar I got from a friend like 5 months ago, and I got a amp for christmas. I've just recently really started to play it, and I'm just curious: am I to old too play the guitar?

Now, I "think" I'm getting better. I mean, I just want to be all like.. playing super fast solos like everyone else and the such. I never really noticed my interest in guitars untill around august last year. Otherwise I probably would of started much younger. I don't plan on getting lessons, for the simple fact that I don't got alot of money really. And didn't all of the guitar legends self teach themselves how to play anyways?

I don't know.. I'm just a little worried that I'll never be as good as alot of the people I see on YouTube and such. No matter how much I practice. And for practice, I'm not really even trying to play songs, just trying to play in like... a rythm. But I can play the chorus of "The beast and the Harlot" by Avenged Sevenfold barely, and I seem to be getting better as the days go by. I try and spend just about my entire day with the guitar. I've just about almost given up gaming all in it's self just to pursue my practicing.

Anyways, I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot. I'll be 18 this coming friday, and I'm just wondering if I should keep on practicing is all. :|
It's never too late.

I started when I was 20 (7 years ago), and I'm playing paying gigs nearly every weekend solid until the end of this year.

I know you don't plan on getting lessons, but I'll advise you do anyway. Even just a month of lessons would help greatly.

The biggest thing is practicing properly and having a clear direction, and knowing what you need to do, and how you need to do it to get there. Some kind of structure.

It's not to say you can't be a good guitarist without them, it's just a lot harder. There are however plenty of articles on here and the rest of the net that should help a lot also.

But again, motivation, a clear goal and knowledge how to achieve it will get you far. After my first year of playing I was a better guitar player than many of my friends, all of which had been playing at least 5-10 years.
i started when i was 20 also

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave
I dont wanna die, Im a god, why cant I live on?
When the life giver dies, all around is laid to waste.
And in my last hour,
Im a slave to the power of death

Member Of The Jagermeister Fan Club
Brotha, it's never too late.

Rock out with your you know what out. You might have to work a little harder to defeat some muscle memory issues, but you can totally do it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
More stuff...

Practicing all day is excessive. Playing all day is not.

You need to just have some fun with it while you're at it or you'll burn out in a hurry, not to mention you learn just as much from screwing around with your guitar as you do practicing.

It's beneficial to practice in 10-30 minute increments, your muscle memory develops more in the time you're not playing than when you are. It's strange, but it's true. Over practicing something tends to make it sloppy because people get sick of the repetition, and lose focus. Your brain needs time to digest what you're telling it to do.

When you are practicing, you really really really must use a metronome, and you must slow it down to a speed where you can play it 99% perfectly. If you have to play Beast and Harlot at 1/4 it's actual speed to play it perfectly, then that's what you've got to do. Speed is a byproduct of accuracy. Meaning, you'll get faster if you play slower with more accuracy, than if you play faster with less accuracy.

So basically just increase the speed slowly until you can play it full speed. It may take an entire week to move up 1 single click on a metronome, but think about it this way. It seems like a long time, but if you move up 1 click every week, even every 2 weeks, then by the end of a year you'll be faster than the metronome

Personally I take maybe 9 different things I want to improve at, maybe exercises a part of a song, a specific technique, and do each for 10-20 minutes. That totals 1.5 hours to 3 hours throughout the whole day, with noodling imrpov, song writing and stuff like that between it.

Take that kind of mindset and you'll end up on youtube in a few years time, and nobody will know any different.
You sound dedicated. More dedicated than me. I've been playing about 18 months, and I didn't start until I was 22.

Just make sure you're doing correct practice, and you'll advance quickly.
its not too late, just dont lose interest in guitar and try to pick it up later on, then it might be too late
i thought starting at age 15 was too late.. one year later im 16 and i feel i learned a whole lot in 1 year....
Wow! I wasn't expecting to get alot of replies so fast!

First off, thanks for all the support! I thought everyone who played the guitar started at a really young age =O.

Icronic, my way of practicing is.. well, I'm just mostly screwing around. Just trying to make sounds, "having fun" , and trying to play in rythm. The only thing I constantly practice is my hammer ons and pull offs. And I really don't get how people can decend in frets so flawlessly. I find it extremely difficult. But I'm really good on hammer ons! So when I practice, I'm having fun about 85% of the time. And I'll see about lessons. Not sure how thats going to work though "right now". I'm trying to save up for a better guitar. I'm not sure what they're called exactly, but this guitar has just one knob for changing the distortion, and I really don't like the sound of it that much. It's decent, but not what I really want.

TO everyone else, thanks for the support :3. And, I'll make sure I don't do that Woody! I've been messing around with my Guitar for the past week for atleast an hour a day, making sure I get just a little shreddage in, if anything.
Quote by Kaihato
Icronic, my way of practicing is.. well, I'm just mostly screwing around. Just trying to make sounds, "having fun" , and trying to play in rythm. The only thing I constantly practice is my hammer ons and pull offs. And I really don't get how people can decend in frets so flawlessly. I find it extremely difficult. But I'm really good on hammer ons! So when I practice, I'm having fun about 85% of the time. ...........

It's funny but I had the exact opposite problem when I was learning, I could do pull offs well, but my hammer-ons were sloppy as hell. Playing as much Joe Satriani as I could find solved that problem in a hurry though. It'll come naturally after a while, you won't even know it happened, just boom... suddenly you can play stuff you couldn't before.

And if you ever feel really discouraged try a different style of music for a while.

It's funny, but I'm mainly a blues/classic rock kind of guy, but I spent about a year working my ass off on as much shred and metal as I could find and it did amazing things for my blues playing. Oddly enough practicing blues does awesome things for my shredding. It's bizzare how completely different styles can really improve thing's that seemingly have no connection.
Nah it's never too late. But you made me feel better for thinking I should have started playing earlier, like 13 or 14.

I started playing when I was 16 and I'll be 17 this Friday. Happy B-day by the way.
Quote by icronic
It's funny but I had the exact opposite problem when I was learning, I could do pull offs well, but my hammer-ons were sloppy as hell. Playing as much Joe Satriani as I could find solved that problem in a hurry though. It'll come naturally after a while, you won't even know it happened, just boom... suddenly you can play stuff you couldn't before.

And if you ever feel really discouraged try a different style of music for a while.

It's funny, but I'm mainly a blues/classic rock kind of guy, but I spent about a year working my ass off on as much shred and metal as I could find and it did amazing things for my blues playing. Oddly enough practicing blues does awesome things for my shredding. It's bizzare how completely different styles can really improve thing's that seemingly have no connection.

I see. Interesting .

By any chance, is there an article on this website that can show how to do pull-offs? I have a feeling I maybe doing it wrong or something. Or maybe I'm just not pulling off hard enough. heheh :P.

Quote by podliver
Nah it's never too late. But you made me feel better for thinking I should have started playing earlier, like 13 or 14.

I started playing when I was 16 and I'll be 17 this Friday. Happy B-day by the way.

Thanks! Right back at ya, buddy.
Psh, no, you can start at anytime. And you shouldn't play because you want to be as good as *insert guitarist here*, you should play because you want to, and for a hobby.

When I started out, I was just playing easy tabs and stuff too, but then I just started watching/hearing other techniques. Then once I found out what they were called, I found lesson online (youtube has pretty much any technique or anything you need really). And try and challenge yourself a little bit, but not too much.
Do you like Bagpipes?

Good for you

Quote by postmortem2006
Perfect metal stereotype;

If you have long hair, apparently your music goes RAGHHHHHRAGHRARGHRARGHHHHHHH.

Quote by strings.of.fury
Psh, no, you can start at anytime. And you shouldn't play because you want to be as good as *insert guitarist here*, you should play because you want to, and for a hobby.

When I started out, I was just playing easy tabs and stuff too, but then I just started watching/hearing other techniques. Then once I found out what they were called, I found lesson online (youtube has pretty much any technique or anything you need really). And try and challenge yourself a little bit, but not too much.

;o.

Oh, and trust me. I totally want to play because I want too . I want to be all like, making epic techno riffs and such.
Not to late, it never is. Start playing, you wont regret it, you will regret it if you dont though.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
im pretty sure theres alot of people who are famous, or in great bands that didnt start until they were 21. i saw it in a thread in MT ages ago.
|-----| Gear |-----|

Ibanez RG(cnt remember)
Marshall MG30DFX
Line 6 Guitar Port

YOUTUBE PR0NZZ
This is probably one of the most frequent asked things on guitar and bass basics. The only time you shouldnt learn guitar is when it hurts you so much to play that it's not even worth it.

Or if you're just playing to look cool.

Other then that, it's all fair game and though you might learn a little slower as you get older, I'm sure an 18 year old will have no problem learning.
By the way, making techno riffs would be pretty hard and would be a pretty big investment into pedals.
Ruffdog, Les Paul is 92. (Or somewhere around that age) and still plays gigs. You're fine. Haha.
i know a guy who started at 17 or 18 (not sure) and he is one of the best guitarist i have ever met
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Started at 25, been playing 2 years...never too late man.
In the Valley of Vung
Thanks for all the support guys.

This thread has really motivated me even more to play the guitar.
That's good ^.^

It's not really about how long you've played guitar, but how you practice and how much you practice. If someone had no soul and could practice 10 hours of Theory,Scales,exercises, and important techniques. Within a year they would be able to play like crazy. Just, they wouldn't have any emotion and probably hate guitar.
I'm 43 and just got back into playing the guitar again after a 20 year break. Started when I was 14
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
WTF is this "am I too old" shyt coming from 17-21 year olds???

Seriously.

How could being 18 be to old to learn ANYTHING???

Gimmie a break.

That said, you need focused practice sessions. Twiddling away to your favorite songs is not good practice. The boring basic shyt is what you need to have a solid foundation so you can add whatever on top of it.

BTW I was 33 when I started and I dont feel like Im learning slow at all. My problem is time, since I have a crazy commute, work 40 hours, wife, kids and a house to maintain.
Quote by Axe Murderer
WTF is this "am I too old" shyt coming from 17-21 year olds???

Seriously.

How could being 18 be to old to learn ANYTHING???

Gimmie a break.

That said, you need focused practice sessions. Twiddling away to your favorite songs is not good practice. The boring basic shyt is what you need to have a solid foundation so you can add whatever on top of it.

BTW I was 33 when I started and I dont feel like Im learning slow at all. My problem is time, since I have a crazy commute, work 40 hours, wife, kids and a house to maintain.

lol

I'm sorry to hear you've not the time to play as much as ya want.