So, I have a crate VC-50. It's a beautiful and amazing amp, but just sounds so classic rock. I play metal. I can't sell the amp to buy a new one, so I'm going to try to get some pedals to get the perfect tone from it. Here's what I'm looking at:

Overdrive/Distortion
Compressor/Sustainer
10-Band Equalizer

I'm also going to be using a phaser and noise gate, but just to give it a more full sound. I was wondering if this would be able to produce a good metal sound? And would my amp need to be on a dirty channel to accomplish that, or can I leave it on clean?
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II [Heavily Modded]
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
before you buy those pedals, try this:
roll back your mids and boost your treble and bass frequencies. this gives you a nice scooped sound. i had a little ****ty practice amp and this did the trick for me. but if you want to keep your mids, only more distortion, don't get an overdrive. i got one and it is just a booster. i would suggest getting a dostortion like the MXR distortion + or the Distortion III. the ten band EQ would probably work well too. MXR makes a great one. so does Boss.
My amps all tube though...so wouldn't overdrive be better?
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II [Heavily Modded]
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Quote by Afyum
My amps all tube though...so wouldn't overdrive be better?

either or. the main difference is the amount of distortion. you can still cranck back ta distortion pedal for a more subtle overdrive. the best for pushing an already distorted amp into shred territory, i find, is the MXR Distortion+
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.