Poll: ..........
Poll Options
View poll results: ..........
Yes, you should continue to read
34 94%
No, just focus on playing
2 6%
Voters: 36.
My teacher has given me the option of whether I want to continue to read sheet music or not. I'm not sure if I want too. I was a bit surprised that he gave me this option seeing how hard he was on my friend about it(he never studied it anyway tho and now doesn't take lessons). I think he may see a lot of potential in me. Lately I have been using the blues scales very nicely and am getting pretty good at them. I'm also getting faster and faster speed wise. I've been playing/taking lessons for 10 months. What should I do here?
Yes.

It doesn't hurt, and it can help a hell of a lot. I see absolutely no reason not to.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
continue to read music
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
keep up the note reading, it will only be better for you in the long run. it will make learning the theory easier and transposing for other instruments.
I had to stop reading music because of difficulties with my eyes, and I manage without it.

I still think however that the experience can only be beneficial.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
It's only going to provide benefits later in life. Once you have that knowledge and skill just apply creativity and you will be well on your way
It didn't appear useful to me for the first 2 years that I played. But, as you elvolve, like most artists do, it will become incredibly useful when you get to a point where you need/want to communicate with other musicians on or off the guitar. Put it like this, you've got the chance to learn the language now, and it will prevent from getting in a room with a band, or your freinds, or others, and not having a clue what anyone of them are saying. Your choice!
EDIT: With reading music comes alot of other theoretical pars to music, and you can take songs or pieces, and rework them for guitar, or vice versa.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
music is a language, i can't see a single problem with learning to read the language as well as "speak" it. besides if you can sight read and play as you do that, you can consider yourself talented as not many people can do that (well not many guitarists at least) and its definitely something to put on your musicians resume, especially if you want to work with a more advanced band or do studio gigs.
Quote by NYGiantsFanFTW
My teacher has given me the option of whether I want to continue to read sheet music or not. I'm not sure if I want too. I was a bit surprised that he gave me this option seeing how hard he was on my friend about it(he never studied it anyway tho and now doesn't take lessons). I think he may see a lot of potential in me. Lately I have been using the blues scales very nicely and am getting pretty good at them. I'm also getting faster and faster speed wise. I've been playing/taking lessons for 10 months. What should I do here?

well the real question is... will you be like your friend and not study it, and stop taking lessons?

The few times I gave students that option was always based on the fact that they would do good with the songs they like, but would do horrible with reading and I got tired of bugging them to practice it.

If thats not your situation, and you actually want to read.... keep doing it, especially if you plan on studying theory.
100% say yes

OWNED
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Hendrix didn't read music. Are you hendrix?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Hendrix didn't read music. Are you hendrix?

Hendrix was also an amazing musical prodigy. Are you?

Either way, I hate dealing with all these guitar players that learn everything from tabs, and then if I want them to learn something, they get confused when I throw sheet music in front of them. Or it takes them 30 minutes to figure out 32 bars because they never actually sit down with sheet music on a regular enough basis to be able to practically play.
Hendrix was also an amazing musical prodigy. Are you?
No. Gee, you got me there!
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums