Ok so that one shred lick towards the crazy train solo that is all on the high E, does anyone know it is picked or if it is trills?

-14-17-14-17-14-17---16-19-16-19-16-19 17-21-17-21-17-21

not exactly how the tab has it but thats the positions im talking about.
I believe it's actually tapped.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

all you gotta do is hit the pick against the high note
" i saw these 2 girls kiss and i i got all horny and stuff"
Quote by blueriver
Ok so that one shred lick towards the crazy train solo that is all on the high E, does anyone know it is picked or if it is trills?

-14-17-14-17-14-17---16-19-16-19-16-19 17-21-17-21-17-21

not exactly how the tab has it but thats the positions im talking about.

If you mean during the solo, There are some picked notes in there as, but mostly its trilled.
I actually pick-tap it, I find it's much easier and gives the same dynamic sound. I believe it's meant to be played regularly though, as in picked.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
I actually pick-tap it, I find it's much easier and gives the same dynamic sound. I believe it's meant to be played regularly though, as in picked.

well you can do that if you want. Randy Rhoads played that as trills though. He did not pick every note. If your doing your own thing, play it how you want of-course, but if your trying to sound authentic, learn to play like the original artist.
Trill it first......then play it however you want. If your learning a song...learn it the way its actually played, then add you own spice to it.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

^ he is right. Ive seen randy play this on youtube. I play it this way but its hard for me to get the speed so sometimes i pick tap it. I went to see this awsome ozzy tribute band "believer" and i was just in a small bar so i got right in front of the guitarist he didnt pick tap anything it was all hammer on pull offs and sounded awsome. The live version on the tribute is easier to play along to than the studio version.
Quote by Bearguitarman
Originally Randy plays it with hammer-on, pull-offs. If you can't play that, you can use tapping, but in this case i can reccomend the metronome.

exactly he "trills" it. which uses hammer ons and pull offs.
Quote by GuitarMunky
exactly he "trills" it. which uses hammer ons and pull offs.

I hate to be so pedantic but that's a lie so I'm going to anyway.

It's technically more correct to say it's legato. A trill is just quickly alternating between two notes; it doesn't have to be legato phrased it just happens to be most of the time because that's generally easier than picking it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

It's technically more correct to say it's legato. A trill is just quickly alternating between two notes;

it does that (quickly alternating between two notes).... then it moves up and does it again.... then moves up and does it again. Then their is a legato lick... another trill..... another legato lick.... and on to the bend.

he is basically trilling... and moving it around, with some slight variation.
^ He was basically making the guitar his bitch beacuse he was a damn genious lol. I want to try the Mr. Crowley solo but i havent even perfected crazy train yet. Mr. Crowley is one of my favorite rhoads solos.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
^ He was basically making the guitar his bitch beacuse he was a damn genious lol. I want to try the Mr. Crowley solo but i havent even perfected crazy train yet. Mr. Crowley is one of my favorite rhoads solos.

yeah thats one of my favorites as well. Randy was an awesome player!!
Quote by GuitarMunky
it does that (quickly alternating between two notes).... then it moves up and does it again.... then moves up and does it again. Then their is a legato lick... another trill..... another legato lick.... and on to the bend.

he is basically trilling... and moving it around, with some slight variation.

Yes but in terms of technique the word "trill" means nothing in particular; it's just two notes repeated, you can pick a trill so you'd have to say it's legato not just a trill.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Yes but in terms of technique the word "trill" means nothing in particular; it's just two notes repeated, you can pick a trill so you'd have to say it's legato not just a trill.

its a trill thats done with legato then ok ?

which is the way they are most commonly done on guitar as far as I know.

"On the guitar, a trill is a series of hammer-ons and pull-offs"
-Wiki

I didnt mention what I assumed to be common knowledge. That a trill on the guitar implies hammer ons and pull offs between 2 notes. (although I suppose you could pick them)

I used the word trill because thats what best describes whats going on. Legato just means playing smooth...... Trill specifically means going back and forth between 2 notes.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 12, 2008,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I hate to be so pedantic but that's a lie so I'm going to anyway.

It's technically more correct to say it's legato. A trill is just quickly alternating between two notes; it doesn't have to be legato phrased it just happens to be most of the time because that's generally easier than picking it.

Yes, but give him a break - there was really no need to do this. A trill is generally implied to be legato with an attack on the first note; that's why, in every piece of music I've ever seen that contains a trill, all the notes after the first one are slurred together to indicate that it's to be played legato.
Quote by GuitarMunky
I used the word trill because thats what best describes whats going on.

Yes. You did exactly that.
Quote by GuitarMunky
its a trill thats done with legato then ok ?

which is the way they are most commonly done on guitar as far as I know.

"On the guitar, a trill is a series of hammer-ons and pull-offs"
-Wiki

I didnt mention what I assumed to be common knowledge. That a trill on the guitar implies hammer ons and pull offs between 2 notes. (although I suppose you could pick them)

I used the word trill because thats what best describes whats going on. Legato just means playing smooth...... Trill specifically means going back and forth between 2 notes.

Quoting wiki doesn't mean a whole lot to me; that could have been written by anybody.

To me a trill doesn't imply legato, a trill implies two quickly alternating notes, the legato/not side of things is optional but even if it's picked it's still a trill is it not? Even if a trill does imply legato it doesn't have to be.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I always thought that bit was like a hybrid tapping/trill riff - alternating the left and right hands on the same note to trill it faster and sliding to shift positions.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I always thought that bit was like a hybrid tapping/trill riff - alternating the left and right hands on the same note to trill it faster and sliding to shift positions.

That'd probably make it a lot easier, though Randy just played with one hand. Depending on the TS's legato technique this could work very nicely.
Quote by steven seagull

I thought that at 1 point as well, but I've recently learned it, and its just a standard trill being moved from position to position. it is triple tracked though.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Quoting wiki doesn't mean a whole lot to me; that could have been written by anybody.

To me a trill doesn't imply legato, a trill implies two quickly alternating notes, the legato/not side of things is optional but even if it's picked it's still a trill is it not? Even if a trill does imply legato it doesn't have to be.

Like I said I used the term that best describes whats going on...... a trill
thats what he was doing, so thats the term I used.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 12, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
I thought that at 1 point as well, but I've recently learned it, and its just a standard trill being moved from position to position. it is triple tracked though.

Regarding this, I'm always amazed at how precise Randy was in tracking parts like that. I always have trouble getting something like that to sound the exact same each time.
Quote by :-D
Regarding this, I'm always amazed at how precise Randy was in tracking parts like that. I always have trouble getting something like that to sound the exact same each time.

he was amazing for sure, and knew his solos well.
Quote by GuitarMunky
he was amazing for sure, and knew his solos well.

Just to go entirely off-topic for a post here, what's your favorite solo of his? Everyone I've ever asked always says Crazy Train.
Just to go entirely off-topic for a post here, what's your favorite solo of his? Everyone I've ever asked always says Crazy Train.

Id say Mr Crowley, especially the outro. Then again maybe Revelation Mother Earth.

Practically anything on those 2 Ozzy albums really. They are all brilliant IMO.
meant to be played hammer ons and pulloffs, not tapping or picking.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Thanks guys, now to work on the timing >.< Btw i agree mr. crowley is a good solo from randy. He did over the mountain as well yeah?
Quote by blueriver
Thanks guys, now to work on the timing >.< Btw i agree mr. crowley is a good solo from randy. He did over the mountain as well yeah?

I think he did......correct me if Im wrong please.

And seeing as how were on the subject of Randy's solos; my favorite has always been Mr. Crowley. I always loved Dee though....beautiful song, you guys know he wrote that for his mother?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

it is "trilled," so to speak, not tapped.

here's a lesson: a trill is technically a hammer/pull off alternation of a note and a half step above that note. ex) 12trill13, not 14trill17. But like others said, randy hammer/pulls those set of notes.
Quote by randyrhoadsv

here's a lesson: a trill is technically a hammer/pull off alternation of a note and a half step above that note. ex) 12trill13, not 14trill17. But like others said, randy hammer/pulls those set of notes.

it doesnt have to be a half step to be considered a trill. its possible to "trill" between 14 and 17. The term isnt any way out of place here, if anything it best describes what Randy did.
Quote by randyrhoadsv

Actually, that "lesson" is entirely incorrect, sorry.
Actually, that "lesson" is entirely incorrect, sorry.

how so? in classical terms a trill is alternating between 2 adjacent notes.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by Night_Lights
how so? in classical terms a trill is alternating between 2 adjacent notes.

Yes, but we're not referring to classical music and/or terminology here. Outside of that context it's really never interpreted as two adjacent notes.