i need help with bryan may's killer queen guitar solo tone. it sounds really thick and smooth and full but you cant really hear the all the fuzz of the distortion

i use a agile al-3100
boss ds-1 pedal
and some 30watt lyon amp (its acutally really good, better then some of the vox amps i played)
i hate to bring you bad news, but you won't be able to get that tone with your gear. There's a reason why his guitar has all those effects
ok can you tell me how i can get that tone? my dad has a huge collection of amps, pedals and guitars
Brian May self modded his amps and effects, thus making his tone hard to duplicate. Try setting your amp at Bass 6 Mid 8 Treble 10 gain 6 and using a coin for a pick. Brian uses an English sixpence which are no longer made but a US dime is roughly the same weight and size.

Edit to add:

If your dad has a treble boost pedal that would help too.
Last edited by ofdwolf at May 11, 2008,
There's no fuzz and not a lot of distortion either - it's just a Vox AC30 cranked with the aforementioned treble boost and a phaser.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by ofdwolf
Brian May self modded his amps and effects, thus making his tone hard to duplicate his sound. Try setting your amp at Bass 6 Mid 8 Treble 10 gain 6 and using a coin for a pick. Brian uses an English sixpence which are no longer made but a US dime is roughly the same weight and size.

Edit to add:

If your dad has a treble boost pedal that would help too.

I was going to say, a treble boost would get you a good chunk of the way there. Still, the reason the Killer Queen solo sounds so amazing is because there's a bajillion guitar tracks, you're not going to be able to pull it off exactly.
Almost everything about Brain May's tone is very unique; his guitar is home made with Burns Tri-sonic pickups, he often used a home-made tube amp cranked to overdrive and helped with a treble booster and played with a now out-of-circulation coin. To be honest I have no idea how close you can get with your gear.

Edit: Oh and the layers of harmonies and/or double tracking that Queen used a hell of a lot.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Mockingbird452
Isn't there a Brian May Vox combo? I'd try that out.

The only knob is a volume.

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/acseries/ac30bm.asp

Yeah but it's based on his own Vox AC30, not the Deacey which he used on a load of recordings as well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
yeah the deacey is what he used on most of the older tracks such as killer queen if I remember right. His effects in his guitar are very important as well. the may AC30 i think is done being made and had only a limited run. and it was well over 2000 dollars. Try an AC30 cranked with treble booster and the may digitech pedal. that's your best shot.

May was one of the most (if not the most) unique guitar player. That's why everyone loves him.
Thanks for the advice.. i just found out... my dad bought one of the bryan may ac30 amps at a pawn shop last mounth!! im going to go try it out... i cant believe i never realised this..
Lol
Quote by 666_Pounder
If you don't have enough for tube get a Roland Cube.

Equipment:
Fender Squire Fat Strat Affinity series
Some cheap amp....
Quote by thisismyacc
Thanks for the advice.. i just found out... my dad bought one of the bryan may ac30 amps at a pawn shop last mounth!! im going to go try it out... i cant believe i never realised this..

i smell bull****...your just bigging yourself up saying things like that to gain other peoples respect
Tried using a sixpence as a guitar pick some time ago,tried using it for a while but just couldn't get on with it,ended up buying a modified one
from www.brianmayguitar.co.uk/index.php/product/sixpence-guitar-pick/
and it's absolutely fantastic,not sure how long i will have it for though as i tend to lose my picks!
Necro
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!