Please help me with my Squier strat modification. I want to replace one of the single coil pickups with a humbucker. It already has places for humbuckers carved out and does not need to be routed. I looked online and found an article that said if it already has places for humbuckers cut out then it is as simple as snipping the single coil pickup and removing it and replacing it with the humbucker and soildering in the humbucker wire in the same spot that the single coil pickup was soildered.

And then mounting the humbucker in place.

My question is won't I have to modify the switch to accomidate the humbucker with my 2 single coil pickups, or will I be able to leave the switch (standard 5 pt switch) the way it is?

If I can leave it the way it is and it will still work safely then I would prefer to do that and I will look into modifying or buying a different switch later. Right now I only want to make sure that I can install the humbucker (Bridge position) easily without making modifications to the switch. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at May 12, 2008,
Nope, you don't need to change the pickup switch.
But you'll need to get a new pickguard that has room for the humbucker, or route your stock pickguard.
Quote by sfsknight07
dude...you would be better of just buying a new guitar if its a cheap squier.

Thanks for the advice, but I can do without that kind. I have other guitars.

But I have this Squier that plays pretty nice and was one of my first guitars, but the pickups aren't that good and I have a few humbuckers and thought I would try one in the bridge position. I just don't know if I can change out a single coil with a humbucker without having to mod the switch also.
~JP~
Quote by Andrusho
Nope, you don't need to change the pickup switch.
But you'll need to get a new pickguard that has room for the humbucker, or route your stock pickguard.

Thanks, so all I have to do is snip the wires to the single coil and sod them to the humbucker and the switch should work.

But I've got 2wires attached to the single coil (all the single coils each have 2 wires connected to them) and only 1 wire attaches to my humbucker.

So I open up the humbucker and sod the hot to the humbucker, and what about the 2nd wire??? Is the second wire a ground wire that I can just ground out?

I'm wondering because I want the switch to work right, but more importantly I want my amp to keep on working right if you know what I mean.

Has anybody actually done this before??? Help!!!
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at May 11, 2008,
The single coils have a hot and a ground and the humbucker does to. Many singles they use individual unshielded wires. The humbucker has a braided shield you have to unravel it to expose the inner hot lead then its just like the other pickups.
Thanks for the help, I knew you guys were out there. . . this is starting to make sense. I hope it makes a difference. . . find out tomorrow. I don't care what anybody says, Squier are good guitars when you find the right one.
~JP~