Why do you guys hate dimebuckers so much?
Ibanez RG3EXQM1 (Drop D/Standard)
Paul Reed Smith Custom SE Semi-Hollow (Drop B, A#)
Marshall MG50DFX
Boss TU-2 > Dunlop Crybaby From Hell > MXR Phase 90 > Sansamp GT2 > Boss DD-3 > Boss BF-3
never used one but the general consensus round here is that they sound like crap
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
They are very, very muddy. And generally, being that muddy isn't a good thing.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
They sound thin, are overpriced, Dimebag didn't even use it, you can get the Bill Lawrence 500XL which is the actual pickup that Dime used, and its cheaper, and sounds better.
i love mine, it's teh sound i was after for that particular guitar, and when i switch to my middle single coil and the bridge, i get a really twangy sound, so im' happy with it, but it's not for everybody
and it's not overpriced, it's the same as any other pickup really (at least at my guitar store, but the owner gives me everything cheap)
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
I have one that came stock on my Dean, and I think its pretty good. Not very muddy at all, and its a really trebly tone, a lot like Dime's. Cleans aren't really that great on it though, they crunch even if you have a good clean setting, because its very trebly and high output. You could check out my youtube page if you want to hear my tone, its in my sig. And for the people saying Dime didn't use them, he did at then tail end of his carreer, when he switched back to Dean. They were on his Dime-o-flague and the one with the flames on it.
Well yeah obviously he didn't use it, its a TRIBUTE pickup. I just thought it was MADE to sound like Dime.
Ibanez RG3EXQM1 (Drop D/Standard)
Paul Reed Smith Custom SE Semi-Hollow (Drop B, A#)
Marshall MG50DFX
Boss TU-2 > Dunlop Crybaby From Hell > MXR Phase 90 > Sansamp GT2 > Boss DD-3 > Boss BF-3
it's really not a bad pickup. That being said I prefer it in the neck position. It sounds like a super hot single coil
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by ChrisCutler
Well yeah obviously he didn't use it, its a TRIBUTE pickup. I just thought it was MADE to sound like Dime.

This is not....the greatest pickup in the world, no. This is just a tribute.

And the peculiar thing is this my friends:
the pickup Dime used on that fateful night it didn't actually sound
anything like this pickup!

It's not particularly good, it's not particularly versatile and there's better pickups for your money.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

hahaha sigged
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Quote by steven seagull
This is not....the greatest pickup in the world, no. This is just a tribute.

You win.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
**Fail**

The Pickup IS NOT A TRIBUTE PICKUP.... And yes he actually was using the pickup the night he was shot....

Bill Lawrence couldnt do the output they needed for Dimes Signature guitars. So they went to Seymour Duncan with Dime. Dime himself handed them his XL and said make me this pickup but i also want it to sound like this. He oversaw the whole project. And used them in Damageplan... 5 out of 7 guitars actually had Dimebuckers that he used in the band Damageplan...

Guitars Used in Damageplan....

Washburn Dime3ST "Main Black" Top
Body:Mahogany

Neck:Mahogany / Rosewood 22F

Joint:Set-Neck

Pickup
F:Seymour Duncan '59
R:Bill Lawrence L-500XL

Bridge:Schaller Floyd Rose Tremolo System

Washburn Dime3ST "New Conf" Top
Body:Figured Maple top / Mahogany Back

Neck:Mahogany / Ebony 22F

Pickup
R:Seymour Duncan Dimebucker/SH-13

Washburn Dime3STSL "Slime Bolt" Top

Neck:Mahogany / Ebony 24F

Pickup
F:Seymour Duncan Little '59

Washburn Dime3 "Paul Stanley" Top
Body:Figured Maple & Mirror top / Mahogany Back

Pickup

Bridge:Floyd Rose Original Tremolo System

Washburn Dime3ST "Burnt Black" Top

Pickup

Washburn DimeST Pro "Carlos" Top

Neck:Mahogany / Rosewood 22F

Pickup

Washburn Dime3ST "Old Conf" Top

Pickup
R:Seymour Bill Lawrence L-500XL

Now with that said yes there are alot better pickups out there especially for the price but if you want to pay for a pickup designed and used by Dime then there ya go...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at May 12, 2008,
They sound horrifically bad, insanely trebly and piercing with no bottom end, overly hot, they don't clean up, they're muddy as hell, and the one on my mate's DXMG is microphonic to the nth degree.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Dimebucker - £75
L500XL - I got for £32.34 ($50)

This pickup is incredibly diverse in comparison to the Dimebucker, because obviously the original one wasn't designed for Dimebag and the following onslaught of shredding and harmonics.... its a blues pickup! Designed to be very tight at the top for bright, clean, blues/country/classic rock'n'roll. Lot's of lovely southern stuff.... it just so happens that Dimebag realised that if you add insane amounts of gain to it... small children cry.
All the professional reviews I have read have been positive, but I haven't tried them myself.
One issue is the amount of treble, which if you ever heard dimes tone its drenched with highs and that signature buzzsaw tone. Also if you have ever played one of the randalls he used there is a tone of low end you have to fight with, one reason he used 15's in his rig.. The man knew what he liked and designed it around that. Thats pretty much the gist of it...
Quote by GregBillHill
Dimebucker - £75
L500XL - I got for £32.34 ($50)

This pickup is incredibly diverse in comparison to the Dimebucker, because obviously the original one wasn't designed for Dimebag and the following onslaught of shredding and harmonics.... its a blues pickup! Designed to be very tight at the top for bright, clean, blues/country/classic rock'n'roll. Lot's of lovely southern stuff.... it just so happens that Dimebag realised that if you add insane amounts of gain to it... small children cry.

ok, now i'm intrigued by the L500XL because most of my humbuckers tend to make the high end harsh. then again, all my guitars have the stock pickups, as far as i know...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
trebely. Not for everyone. GREAT for shred and the harmonics are insane.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
I just sold a guitar with one. The first thing the buyer said was... "I was expecting more out of a $95 pup upgrade. It doesn't have anymore output than the SD designed neck pup". My response was... "yep. I agree".
Overly trebly and horrible. It's muddy and can only really be used for one single genre of music, downtuned doom metal, and even then there are better. My friend's is very cold sounding, thin almost, with a stupid amount of output and is heavily microphonic. It sounds worse than his stock EMG-HZ. There is no versatility and it doesn't clean up. It's horribly overpriced and as a result of all this, hated by all.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.