Page 1 of 5
So this would be my first build, its changed a lot from the V I initially planned on.

Alder wings w/ maple neck
Neck-thru
string-thru

that looks niceee more pics plz when u get the time
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
ill moar pix after i sand it down a little better

the joint on the wood on one of the wings its a little not so good, should i just filler it?
Quote by tjfishrocker
What wood are you using?

Alder wings w/ maple neck

Check the first post.

BTW, nice build so far, i'm loving the headstock shape.
www.myspace.com/nirvana_rox_ryda_j

Quote by Ovenman
Women don't sh*t.
There's no toilet in the kitchen.

Quote by Yan Yan
!

This thread was made back when i had my old 06 account.

loving that headstock, looking good up to now.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Double cuts look sweet. Any plans on hardware or electronics?
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
I like. It's very Scott Ian.
Can't wait to see the clean edges
EDIT: Can I inquire as to where to bought the neck thru blank if you did buy it?
Last edited by 3lusiv3 at May 12, 2008,
Quote by Green_Jelly
Double cuts look sweet. Any plans on hardware or electronics?

I've got some black hardware, and planning on covering a duncan custom and duncan jazz with gold covers to match the gold security locks i accidentally bought :P: ...

which brings up another question
i bought this and i was wondering if i needed the studs with it too. At the time of purchase i figured that they'd include them if i needed them so i didnt get any.

Quote by 3lusiv3
Can I inquire as to where to bought the neck thru blank if you did buy it?

http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=SERVE&G=1&sku=3181&ITEM=catalog/sku.html&CURRENCY=USD
You can also get a similar neck at carvin, for anyone who wants to know. it's also cheaper.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
im almost finished sanding the edges, just gotta do some minor stuff

im planning on making the upper horn a little skinnier
hey, how hard is that to do? I'm planning on doing something similar to this this summer, so how hard is it- easy to put together or damn near impossible?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
you will need studs with that bridge, so if it didn't come with them you should order some. also, if the joint on one of the wings isn't great, you can use filler, but make sure it isn't so bad that you're worried about strength. the last thing you want is half of your guitar falling off in the middle of a show
re going to deepen the bottom cutaway for better access
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by oneblackened
hey, how hard is that to do? I'm planning on doing something similar to this this summer, so how hard is it- easy to put together or damn near impossible?

From what i did, its pretty easy. All it is pretty much is glue and cut. Make sure you've got a thin enough bandsaw blade that it'll allow you cut the body pretty well (unlike mine )

Quote by rednwhiteblues
you will need studs with that bridge, so if it didn't come with them you should order some. also, if the joint on one of the wings isn't great, you can use filler, but make sure it isn't so bad that you're worried about strength. the last thing you want is half of your guitar falling off in the middle of a show

ahh thanks. The joint is miniscule so I guess I'll be ok with filler.

i plan to carve it like so

(black is carving line, red is pickguard)
^ i have to say i certainly do agree with this man. no pickguard , or do like a raised gibson style one if you must.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
This is looking very cool!

I agree with what people have said about the carve - a full carve would look excellent. It's your build though!

Anyway, did anyone else notice the emo core of the wood?

Sir, your guitar has a heart:

your guitar but i agree with what people have said, you should either do a full carve or no carve at all. imo it'll just look weird if you do what you want to do now, like someone cut a carved top gibson and a flat top fender with a pickguard in half and put them together in that guitar.

Is the pickguard to cover up the electronics? 'cos you might want to think about a rear-routed guitar if that's the case.

Just a couple of suggestions, i mean do what you want mate.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Full carve with no pickguard.

Can you really compare

With THIS beauty...

Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
or even an ovation ultra gp
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Thanks guys, I'll consider a full carve.
One of the reasons I decided on a pickguard was for its overall simplicity of it

Big question though...
Tools to carve?
keep building. maybe it'll end up being better than ours:P keep an eye on where you place the bridge when you do. if the measurements are a BIT off, you're done. Any parental help with this build? Always the best kind of help.
2005 MIA Fender Telecaster
Dunlop Hendrix Wah Sig.
Ibanez T-808
Fulltone OCD
Big Muff Pi w/Tone Wicker
Fulltone Mini DejaVibe
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Catalinbread Sagrado Poblano Boost
50W Kustom Defender
Well there are several methods to carve, u can route "levels" or steps down/ across and then sand, i've seen that done before, then theres chizels and sanding files...
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
wha HAPPENED!?
2005 MIA Fender Telecaster
Dunlop Hendrix Wah Sig.
Ibanez T-808
Fulltone OCD
Big Muff Pi w/Tone Wicker
Fulltone Mini DejaVibe
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Catalinbread Sagrado Poblano Boost
50W Kustom Defender
Quote by MoonageDaydream
Full carve with no pickguard.

Can you really compare

With THIS beauty...

I actually prefer the Jr.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
during my two month hiatus ive sice sanded down the back, and thats about it

ill start it up a bit again in a couple weeks... darnned summer school

EDIT: actually i too like the Jr. It gives off a certain vibe only acquirable without a carve.
i might try and do a 'best of both worlds' approach and carve right up to where the pickguard will be
Last edited by overgronE at Jul 23, 2008,
I've started shaping the heel and pretty much finished the edges.

Question,
How deep do the pickup/electronics routs go? and will a drill press and chisel suffice?
Quote by overgronE
during my two month hiatus ive sice sanded down the back, and thats about it

ill start it up a bit again in a couple weeks... darnned summer school

EDIT: actually i too like the Jr. It gives off a certain vibe only acquirable without a carve.
i might try and do a 'best of both worlds' approach and carve right up to where the pickguard will be

erm, isn't that what you were going to do in the first place?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
^ not really, what I meant was a full carve and then the pickguard will meet the carving line kind of thing

EDIT: some pics

edges almost done

heel shaped up
Last edited by overgronE at Aug 3, 2008,
Hurray for drill press!

Ive gotta make the cavities deeper (and cleaner), but so far so good. I've made some dents in the top, but nothing that cant be concealed with a nice carve.
The upper horn is a little on the chubby side, so I've gotta thin it out a bit. Any tips on how, besides just regularly sanding?
sanding drum ftw
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Looking good! More progress... NOw! ALso... keep yourself out of summer school. I went there to take health to get it out of the way.... and it sucked. Worth paying attention and getting a D rather than failing.
Pfffft, I wouldnt fail. Summer school was a personal choice. I wanted to get my next year English out of the way to free up some space for a better course.

Anyways...
Another day, another dent(s)

I won't be doing much for a bit because I've yet to order those bridge studs.
The bridge pickup cover is pretty tall and would probably interfere with the strings. Is it worth sanding it down somehow, or should I just get a new one?
This would looks SO cool semi-hollow and with a quilt maple cap stained in a deep purple with a maple-colored racing stripe across the middle... But so far it's also pretty kickass!
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Page 1 of 5