Hey

I'm getting a B.C. Rich Warlock this weekend, and i've decided i'd like to change the pickups after reading some bad reviews on them. I think i've narrowed it down to 3 choices.

1. SD Blackouts

2. Sd Livewire Dave Mustaine sigs

3. Dimarzio X2N and and maybe an evo for the neck?

I play high gain stuff, so cleans aren't an issue

i'm open to any other suggestions as well
Quote by Kensai

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
Last edited by Retardwitguitar at May 11, 2008,
All of those are amazing. If you want a more classic sound, go for the Mustaine ones. If you like Death and want a Chuck Schuldiner-esque sound, go for the X2N (or the new D-Activator X model), and if you want something more like a more organic EMG with crunchier mids and a tougher EQ, go with the Blackouts.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Retardwitguitar
Hey

I'm getting a B.C. Rich Warlock this weekend, and i've decided i'd like to change the pickups after reading some bad reviews on them. I think i've narrowed it down to 3 choices.

1. SD Blackouts

2. Sd Livewire Dave Mustaine sigs

3. Dimarzio X2N and and maybe an evo for the neck?

I play high gain stuff, so cleans aren't an issue

i'm open to any other suggestions as well

Honest answer?

Buy a better guitar, but buy a better amp first.

Pickups are the least of your worries - buying a new strap is probably going to be more useful.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Honest answer?

Buy a better guitar, but buy a better amp first.

Pickups are the least of your worries - buying a new strap is probably going to be more useful.

+1

If you can afford to spunk that much money on new pickups, why did you buy a guitar with crap pickups to begin with?

Put the money towards a decent amp, and actually TRY the pickups in your new guitar before judging them.
oh, i haven't updated the gear in my profile.
I have a Carvin MTS3200 now, i sold the triggerman.

The guitar i'm buying is an old NJ series Warlock, and i'm getting it used for $200 with a case
Quote by Kensai

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
Quote by Retardwitguitar

The guitar i'm buying is an old NJ series Warlock, and i'm getting it used for $200 with a case

Ah, fairy snuff.

In that case, I recommend EMGs @ 18V! Either two 81s, or an 81 and a 60.. the secondhand market is always flooded with them, selling at decent prices, so you can't lose.
i don't know, i was trying to stay away from EMG's, im not a fan.

I haven't heard any with the 18 v mod though, so I'll look into that
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Retardwitguitar
i don't know, i was trying to stay away from EMG's, im not a fan.

I haven't heard any with the 18 v mod though, so I'll look into that

Well, I've not heard (apart from the SD soundclips) or tried the Blackouts, but word on the street is that 18V EMGs and AHBs are very similar - same kind of headroom, similar clarity, and organic character. They turn out pretty much the same as the old Livewire Metal! models, which were rebranded and redesigned as the AHB-1/2 'Blackout' models.

Anyway, I'm sure that people can provide clips if you ask nicely. I would, but I don't have a decent enough mic to do anything justice.

Edit: You could always try getting hold of an old Livewire Metal! set, as they're near-identical to the Blackouts. They were always kind of obscure, and never got the attention they deserved, so prices are reasonable.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at May 12, 2008,
i found a livewire metal set on musiciansfriend

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-LWHMETS-LiveWire-Metal-Pickup-Set?sku=300266

are those the ones you're talking about, or are they a reissue or something?

edit: just noticed it has a classic for the neck
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Retardwitguitar

How old? I have an NJ Ironbird from 1989...solid guitar. I'd say put a Dimarzio D-Sonic or Steve's Special in the bridge and a Breed in the neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Retardwitguitar
i found a livewire metal set on musiciansfriend

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-LWHMETS-LiveWire-Metal-Pickup-Set?sku=300266

are those the ones you're talking about, or are they a reissue or something?

edit: just noticed it has a classic for the neck

Sorry, I got mixed up.

AHB-1 Blackouts are the new Livewires.
AHB-2 Blackouts Metal are the new Livewire Metal. http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/blackouts_metal/

I think that Thomann.de sell the AHB-2 sets, if that helps.
Quote by steven seagull
How old? I have an NJ Ironbird from 1989...solid guitar. I'd say put a Dimarzio D-Sonic or Steve's Special in the bridge and a Breed in the neck.

i think the guy said it was from 87 or so
Quote by Kensai

after watching some videos, i think i might go with the livewires

any opinions on them? Should i go with the Dave Mustaines or the Metal/Classic set?
Quote by Kensai