So I want to tune to drop B#. i have les paul and my strings are guaged (11,16,24w,32,42,54). Will I be able to without having them be super lose
Drop C (there's no reason to call it B# here) is CGCFAD. That string gauge should be just dandy.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
If you're tuning down, you would use the flat name of the note, so you would call it drop Db rather than drop C#. However, in this case, B# is enharmonic to C, so call it drop C.
Yeah man, call it Drop C. Same notes, much simpler name imo. but yeah, those strings are perfect.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Drop C (there's no reason to call it B# here) is CGCFAD. That string gauge should be just dandy.

+1
They should be fine........... \m/ Rock on!!!
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
^ aye, I've got my old shit guitar tuned to drop C and to do it I changed over to 11's and swapped out my low string for a lower one... I think it was 56 in fact, though I can't remember

edited because I put the wrong gauge
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at May 11, 2008,
the tuning is not drop c. It's Drop B sorry for the mix up. The tuning I meant is B,F#,B,E,G#,C#
11s should still be alright, but they might be a bit on the thin side. If they don't work for you, 12s should.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Try it and see?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Nah man, get at least 12's for Drop B. Even now (I have 12 gauge) they're a little lose on my guitar on the extremely rare occasions that I down-tune. I'd say 13.
Thanks. There not normal 11s. There a 7 string set that are 9-52 but i got rid of the 9. Will these be better than plain 11s
Quote by Shiptoni
Thanks. There not normal 11s. There a 7 string set that are 9-52 but i got rid of the 9. Will these be better than plain 11s

The .11's I use are gauges .11-.70, and are excellent for drop tuning.
11s would be a bit dodgey for that low, i use 11s for d standard which is perfect imo, you might need 12's or even 13s seeing as your dropping another 3 semitones
I've got 11-54 on my guitar which is permanently in drop B, and I would say yeah its a little bit loose, think I'll change to 12-56 at least when the time comes. Hope that helps
My band's guitarist sometimes tunes down to A with 9's and it works fine. We play in C and he uses those 9's all the time. It just depends on the guitar measurements, string brand, and your personal preference.
Quote by 6_6_6_1_syn
My band's guitarist sometimes tunes down to A with 9's and it works fine. We play in C and he uses those 9's all the time. It just depends on the guitar measurements, string brand, and your personal preference.

That probably sounds like garbage.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
Theres something similar about all the bands that tune down that low...

Is a B# like a Cb?
Many people know how to play the guitar and know nothing about how to set one up. Read this http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/intonation.htm and then think about why you simply cant just change your tuning. Why do you think pros have differnt guitars for differnt tunings. If you want to do this you should have your guitar set up for this not simply tune down. I noticed in your sig you have several so perhaps you should either try to do it yourself after reading how or have a music shop set you up in your desired new tuning.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED

When people say it sounds like garbage they are probably hearing someone who tuned down without seting up like i said in the above post. If you take a guitar that was carefully tweaked to be in standard tuning and lower a string 2 whole notes then expect chords to have good intonation over the neck your crazy. Crank up more distortion and pretend it sounds good or set it up for that and it will sound good. Its not garbage its garbage setups. If you dont know how it works learn how before ****ing with it. That is good advice for your car as well.
Quote by demonofthenight
Is a B# like a Cb?
No. There is no note between B and C. B#=C and Cb=B.

Quote by chll
there's no such thing as b# and Fb
*Very badly wants to use the "O Rly" owl*

If there is no Fb, correctly spell the Eb Phrygian scale. Likewise, if there is no B#, correctly spell the C# harmonic minor scale.

While Fb and B# are enharmonic to E and C respectively, their functions are different and in some cases, such as the scales listed above, Fb and B# are the proper names, not E and C.