Ok, so out of the blue, my friend asked me to teach her to play guitar. I was SO not expecting this, but i told her i would. So what would be some good starter things for her to learn? Because the stuff thats easy to me isn't very easy to beginners.......so yeah. Anythign in particular i should teach her?

Thanks for any help guys.

(btw, i know the importance of theory, i just don't want to shove additional studying in her face at the moment, i will teach her theory)

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Just start with what you learned. Chords. Bar Chords. Mary had a little lamb. Whatever. Theory can come later. If it helps.

And try not to thnk of whatever is in ur pants. Stay professional
I've learned that you should definitely start off with exactly how to hold the pick, and exactly where to hold your finger down on a fret. We guitarist/bassists know how to do it right off the bat by instinct, but I've tried teaching a few people, and it's not easy to show, but it's definitely where you need to start. Because I've noticed, while teaching people, that they're not doing it right and it's possibly hindering their ability to play. And then you need to show them how to hold basic chords and such, compared to just one string at a time.
start off with songs on one string (usually the high e ), then move on to 2 (ode to joy), start teaching her chords this whole while. then just advance from there.
Yo maybe she just wants to get you alone and she doesnt even give a damn about guitar...
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I suggest you select the least popular of the woman-creatures, and fart directly in her face.
You can teach her simple power chord songs like All The Small Things (Blink-182) or something by the Ramones.
Yo maybe she just wants to get you alone and she doesnt even give a damn about guitar...

Just start with what you learned. Chords. Bar Chords. Mary had a little lamb. Whatever. Theory can come later. If it helps.

And try not to thnk of whatever is in ur pants. Stay professional

lol, yeah. no complaints here if its true

but yeah, that was the problem.....i don't know many chords as it is......im more of the guy that started off playing the fast intricate crap....and didn't really bother with chords when i started...so i only know like five or six......so any recommendations? Some easier chords for her? (she has smallish hands btw)

EDIT: i was thinking a simple blues progression, like E-A-B, and a simple riff to play over it, because thats what my teacher taught me to stretch my fingers...and this girl listens to everything..and i Mean EVERYTHING. From rap to black metal you name it she listens to it, so theres no limit there. recommend away my friends!

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Last edited by valennic at May 11, 2008,
ok, i was thinking chromatics, anythign else for her to start on?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Make sure you keep her interested right from the start by having her learn some songs that she wants to learn and are good for a beginner. After that, it's a good segue into theory; you can explain to her the theory behind what she's doing and it should help in that way as well.
Ok, thanks guys!

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112