So one day i was bored and saw all these phone numbers on the wall (My dad works from home). So I picked a string and played the frets that coresponded to the numbers (the same as tab). I got some pretty cool stuff out of it. HAs anyone else ever done this? Do you consider it cheating?
It's not cheating; it's fine.

I've taken a lot of exams on scantron sheets. I've often thought about assigning a letter (answer) to a string and then each question would be the fret number.
i've done it too just for fun. some of it turned out sounding pretty slick, some of it sounded awful and some of it was in the second category but with some distortion and pinches and chugging in between sounded really cool.
Quote by Blackvelvet
So one day i was bored and saw all these phone numbers on the wall (My dad works from home). So I picked a string and played the frets that coresponded to the numbers (the same as tab). I got some pretty cool stuff out of it. HAs anyone else ever done this? Do you consider it cheating?

no its not cheating. what ever helps man. david bowie used to write songs by cutting out words and phrases out of magazines and then putting them together in different orders. its not that its cheating or you have a lack of creativity, its just a different way of doing things.
"Cheating"?!

Sounds bloody creative to me. I'm gonna try one with my ex's number, which is (honestly) a very particular phone number which has the right fret numbers to make a tune out of.

That is such a genius idea man.

Edit - Yep, I just ended up writing something I wouldn't have in a million years otherwise! Ace.
Last edited by Jackolas at May 12, 2008,
i was doing that with the serial #'s on my guitars the other day! i'm gonna try that w/ some phone #s now
____________________ ___________________
..............................................I have epic fail.........................................

That seems like a pretty awesome idea, thank you for finally giving me a use for my phone book

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
Quote by kyrreca
In fact, Ritchie Blackmore's phone number is 035036503530.

Yes, and Kerry King's is 0000000000
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
this is great! brilliant idea
Quote by Crimzin3
The Myth: Mesa amps were given to us by God, and sound as such.
The Truth: True. God is the CEO and Jesus does QC at Mesa...yup.

i do this with phone numbers, house numbers, serial numbers on my guitar, if i see words with no letters past G i play them . . . and sometimes when i am bored i make music by choosing options with dice or spinning things, anything that helps you get new ideas is great, as in, no man is an island, you cant just think up everything yourself.
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Holy ****!!

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Just used the serial number on the back off my guitar-

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Quote by Dillona
NME: OMFG DEY HAZ TIGHT JEENZ N MESSY HAIRZ!

LETS COVER THEM IN OUR MAGAZINE FOR THE NEXT THREE MONTHS! .

Metallica 08.07.07