i currently own a line 6 spider 3 75 watt combo amp and i'm going to trade it in for a line 6 spider 3 150 watt head (btw i like line 6 because of all the effects i can mess around with)...i don't wanna go for a line 6 cabinet because i know for sure those things fail in the long run...

i play mostly heavy stuff and sometimes melodic things too...

what kind of cabinet should i buy for my line 6 spider 3 head?

i want something loud yet affordable, somewhere under $500
I doubt the Line 6 will just one day fail...

I've heard some great things about Avatar, they're supposed to be the best bang for your buck in cabs.
You can find used Mesas for 500 all day long. Look around and don't buy ****. You can find good deals on all types of gear. VHT, Mesa, etc.
You can buy a tube amp and a processor for all the effects...just putting it in there
Carvin X100B cab, Avatar (but they can't withstand touring), and maybe the Line 6 Spider Valve cab (the thing that sucks about regular Line 6 cabs is the speakers, but the Spider Valve cabs have Celestion V30s.)
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
dont buy a Randall cab. they have good cabs but not for 500$. Yeah try Avatar, they make really good stuff. Ive played a few, they arent bad at all. But the Line 6 cab is good too...i own it.
hmmm, i'm going to look around with your suggestions...the main reason i need a cabinet is because my band wants to start playing gigs and shows...

i need one cause i'm not sure if my 75 watt amp is loud enough...would it be?

and what about a marshall cabinet...would that be good with a line 6 head?
You're worried about the CAB not being good?

Lol. Don't kid yourself. Don't get a Spider half stack. It's just a waste of money and space. In fact, you shouldn't buy a half stack in the first place. Nobody really needs one. Get yourself a tube amp if you play in a band, or a GOOD solid state/hybrid if you don't. If you really do like the Spiders then AT LEAST go for a Spider Valve. It will give you MUCH better tone and you would still have all the fancy effects.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee
Don't get a Spider half stack. It's just a waste of money and space. In fact, you shouldn't buy a half stack in the first place. Nobody really needs one. Get yourself a tube amp if you play in a band...

+1

Your plan is a terrible one. The Spider is NOT a gigging amp. It will not cut thru the mix well live, and will sound shrill and thin -I mean that in a bad way.

Cut the cord with built-in effects on a SS amp, and get yourself a nice tube combo. A 50W 1x12 will sound significantly louder than your current amp, and the tone only gets better as it gets louder - as opposed to SS amps which break up in a way that makes the human ear hurt.

Figure out what effects you use/need the most, and buy individual stompboxes. Each pedal will offer a better effect than that which is built into the Spider, too.

With the trade-in value of your current amp, and the $500 you have for a cab, you can probably get yourself a real nice amp and a couple effects pedals. Now is the time to make a move to grown up gear.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
+1

Your plan is a terrible one. The Spider is NOT a gigging amp. It will not cut thru the mix well live, and will sound shrill and thin -I mean that in a bad way.

Cut the cord with built-in effects on a SS amp, and get yourself a nice tube combo. A 50W 1x12 will sound significantly louder than your current amp, and the tone only gets better as it gets louder - as opposed to SS amps which break up in a way that makes the human ear hurt.

Figure out what effects you use/need the most, and buy individual stompboxes. Each pedal will offer a better effect than that which is built into the Spider, too.

With the trade-in value of your current amp, and the $500 you have for a cab, you can probably get yourself a real nice amp and a couple effects pedals. Now is the time to make a move to grown up gear.

that is all extremely true, you have to get away from line 6 to get good authentic tones( their cabinets might be ok i just really wouldn't know). besides, like slats said, you can get gear that is real(you know, like the stuff line 6 copies). you can get an amp like the orange tiny terror, or one the blackhearts they got for 15 or 30 watts, and peavey also makes some fairly low wattage heads for cheap. then you can get an avatar 2x12 for about about 400 bucks, you can even get one with the same dimensions as an orange and order any combination of speakers with them(v30 and a g12h would be nice). this would cost about $1000 and would be a very nice setup.
Hell, you could get a used mesa combo in that price range. I got my f-30 for 580 forest green tolex and all.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by gumbilicious
that is all extremely true, you have to get away from line 6 to get good authentic tones( their cabinets might be ok i just really wouldn't know). besides, like slats said, you can get gear that is real(you know, like the stuff line 6 copies). you can get an amp like the orange tiny terror, or one the blackhearts they got for 15 or 30 watts, and peavey also makes some fairly low wattage heads for cheap. then you can get an avatar 2x12 for about about 400 bucks, you can even get one with the same dimensions as an orange and order any combination of speakers with them(v30 and a g12h would be nice). this would cost about $1000 and would be a very nice setup.

I have a Spider III and I can get authentic tones.

The key with Line 6 is to not judge them by your five-minute GC test drive. If you spend some time tweaking them, you can get some very very usable tones. Sure it doesn't have tubes (something that, to most UGers, disqualifies any amp from being worth anything) but I know that Line 6 does a great job with what they do.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard

The key with Line 6 is to not judge them by your five-minute GC test drive. If you spend some time tweaking them, you can get some very very usable tones. Sure it doesn't have tubes (something that, to most UGers, disqualifies any amp from being worth anything) but I know that Line 6 does a great job with what they do.

I respect that you want to defend your amp in very unfriendly territory, but I suspect that you really haven't compared it to higher quality amplifiers - not unlike our threadstarter, here.

The Spiders are cheap digital amps, and sound it. The longer you have them and/or the louder you play them, the worse they get.

Line 6's higher end offerings are something else. While not for me, I understand their appeal. But anyone looking to spend heavily on a large Spider would be wise to look elsewhere. It's an amp that will need to be replaced -probably sooner rather than later- and will not hold any value at all. Another reason buying a rig in components (head, cab, pedals) allows you to grow at your own pace, and replace/add items as you can afford them. When you outgrow the Spider (and you will, unless you just give up playing guitar), you're left with nothing to build on.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Believe me, you WILL outgrow your Spider and be unhappy with it. With the budget you have you could get a good amp and some effects to go with it. Please don't waste your money on a bigger Spider.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by slatsmania
I respect that you want to defend your amp in very unfriendly territory, but I suspect that you really haven't compared it to higher quality amplifiers - not unlike our threadstarter, here.

The Spiders are cheap digital amps, and sound it. The longer you have them and/or the louder you play them, the worse they get.

Line 6's higher end offerings are something else. While not for me, I understand their appeal. But anyone looking to spend heavily on a large Spider would be wise to look elsewhere. It's an amp that will need to be replaced -probably sooner rather than later- and will not hold any value at all. Another reason buying a rig in components (head, cab, pedals) allows you to grow at your own pace, and replace/add items as you can afford them. When you outgrow the Spider (and you will, unless you just give up playing guitar), you're left with nothing to build on.

I totally agree about buying a rig in components to be a superior thing to do...if you have lots of money. And yes, I have played my share of tube amps. I think they're awesome. And I in no way saying that Spiders are the best amps out there. But for starting out with not a lot of cash, buying a decent tube amp plus 4-6 pedals just isn't as practical.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden

please don't take me as being hostile, i think line 6 does alot of good at a certain stage of beginning and a certain price range, but if the idea is to upgrade an amp then line 6 is just not a good choice. while you may be able to get tones out of line 6, to my ear they just might not sound so good and they definitely don't sound authentic. like i can walk into a bar and before i take 2 steps into it can hear the guitarist playing with something that either sounds like an old fender amp(or jcm800 or vox ac30, so on), or is a real old fender amp(or jcm800 or vox ac30, so on). i believe line 6 helps get you an idea of what you would like to play with, but when it comes to upgrading with them i think you should just kinda figure what your favorite settings are, try out the real amps and then see what one wins and buy it.

if you are still set on getting a cabinet for the spider, then go after some avatars, pick your style, fill it with a V30 and a G12H-30 and it will go fine with any ol amp you buy, that 2x12 should go for under $500 USD.