After doing extensive research, I ordered a Peavey Valveking Royal 8 practice amp about a month ago. It seemed to be highly regarded among the UG crowd however I am not sure I am satisfied. I was expecting better tone although I'm not sure I got that. I am happy that I no longer have to play through my old Frontman 25r, however, I really wanted a tone similar to the Peavey Classic 30 my guitar teacher has or his "tubeking" amp that I play through when I am at lessons with him. I can't find the "tubeking" anywhere on the net. Should I have gone with a different amp?

I tried out the Fender Champion 600 and the tone is much better (not to mention that my local shop said they would sell it to me for 180$) however, the max volume on it is much lower than what the VK can push.

As of now all I need is an amp that can get loud enough to play with a drummer, which the VK can do. I want better tone though. Should I simply look into replacing the speakers and amp tubes or should I look at a whole new amp? I liked that the VK had master volume and gain control as well as tone but if something like the blackheart or epi VJ would be better, let me know. I am willing to step my budget up a bit I guess. I would say no more than $300 but I could perhaps be talked into more. I was wanting to save cash for a bass and bass amp, but if need be, those can wait. As a note I play a lot of blues (SRV, BB King, Albert Collins, etc.) and a lot of rock (RHCP, Strokes, Clapton, LZ, etc.). I currently play primarily through a lite ash tele however I want something that a nice LP or other dual humbucker guitar would sound good through.
~Nick
The VK should be perfect for you. Try an Ibanez TS-808 through it. That'll make it all good.

And btw... you posted this twice...
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Shoulda gone for the Blackheart imo..
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
dude. just wait a little bit and keep playing it. you havent broken in the speakers and the tubes yet!
im just starting to break in my tubes and speakers in my halfstack and its been 5 months!
so just be patient!
Tube amps take a some time and lots of playing to get the tubes and speakers broke in. Your teachers probably had the amp he uses for a long time and done alot of playing on it. A tubescreamer or OD can make alot of difference in a tube amp.
I don't think 'breaking in' the speaker or tubes (?) is an issue here. If you can get an external speaker you'll notice a huge improvement, though I think Weber and possibly Eminence make decent drivers in 8" size. Quality valves will make an audible improvement but not a vast one compared to changing the speaker. Maybe a JJ or Svetlana EL84, and a NOS Mullard or Philips JAN preamp valve.

Also get yourself a Digitech Bad Monkey (or OD pedal of your choice if you've got plenty of cash), which will get you some great overdriven sounds. The Bad Monkey gets my vote as there's nothing else that sounds as good unless you spend 2 or 3 times more, money which could be better used to upgrade the amp as detailed above.

An personally I prefer the Royal 8 to the Champ, it's less fizzy and boxy sounding.
If you're looking for an amp that can compete with a drummer...The Royal 8 is NOT going to cut it.

You'll need at least 15 watts. A little more if you want cleans.

Here's a solution: You like your guitar teacher's Peavey Classic 30's tone? Go and buy a used one. Plenty of clean headroom, does all the tones you need. Used ones can go for as low as 300-400 bucks.
Aren't the Tube Kings clones of Fender Bassmen?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by forsaknazrael
If you're looking for an amp that can compete with a drummer...The Royal 8 is NOT going to cut it.

You'll need at least 15 watts. A little more if you want cleans.

Here's a solution: You like your guitar teacher's Peavey Classic 30's tone? Go and buy a used one. Plenty of clean headroom, does all the tones you need. Used ones can go for as low as 300-400 bucks.

+1
they asre not that expensive online. Another choice is the Palomino v16. When Guitar Center has sales, they go for 280 bucks!
If you're trying to play with a drummer, I'd really suggest more than 5 watts. I like the idea of just buying a Classic 30, if that's what you like.