After doing extensive research, I ordered a Peavey Valveking Royal 8 practice amp about a month ago. It seemed to be highly regarded among the UG crowd however I am not sure I am satisfied. I was expecting better tone although I'm not sure I got that. I am happy that I no longer have to play through my old Frontman 25r, however, I really wanted a tone similar to the Peavey Classic 30 my guitar teacher has or his "tubeking" amp that I play through when I am at lessons with him. I can't find the "tubeking" anywhere on the net. Should I have gone with a different amp?

I tried out the Fender Champion 600 and the tone is much better (not to mention that my local shop said they would sell it to me for 180$) however, the max volume on it is much lower than what the VK can push.

As of now all I need is an amp that can get loud enough to play with a drummer, which the VK can do. I want better tone though. Should I simply look into replacing the speakers and amp tubes or should I look at a whole new amp? I liked that the VK had master volume and gain control as well as tone but if something like the blackheart or epi VJ would be better, let me know. I am willing to step my budget up a bit I guess. I would say no more than $300 but I could perhaps be talked into more. I was wanting to save cash for a bass and bass amp, but if need be, those can wait. As a note I play a lot of blues (SRV, BB King, Albert Collins, etc.) and a lot of rock (RHCP, Strokes, Clapton, LZ, etc.). I currently play primarily through a lite ash tele however I want something that a nice LP or other dual humbucker guitar would sound good through.
~Nick
No two threads man, no two threads.
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
what's wrong with the tone exactly? Too thin, too muddy, etc?
I know alot of people think that they don't do squat, but BBE Sonic Stomps are nice for breathing new life into cheap amps like the VK or my own peavey classic.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Ya it just doesn't have that bright whole tone that other tube amps give me. I don't know how to describe it but it just isn't there. I have been told to swap out the tubes first and then try the speaker. I really like that it has features such as master volume, gain, and a headphones jack, however tone is THE most important thing.
^Really? I guess you have to toy with it a bit.
exactly my point, it's a very debatable pedal because it works so differently in different ri gs.
Try swapping out tubes, and maybe the speaker.
On my CBB, it makes it stink, but with my peavey classic, the tone just comes more alive.

Maybe an EQ or something too? I dunno.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
^Really? I guess you have to toy with it a bit.
exactly my point, it's a very debatable pedal because it works so differently in different ri gs.
Try swapping out tubes, and maybe the speaker.
On my CBB, it makes it stink, but with my peavey classic, the tone just comes more alive.

Maybe an EQ or something too? I dunno.

Yea had the 882I rack model.. It took the pillow out form infront of the speakers and tightened and cleaned things up like advertised. At first i loved it but the more I listened to it the more i could tell it was processed. Even could be heard in sound clips. About 6 people were like man something sounds almost digital...

Also heard that only the 462 model works well with 6505's, so they are really finicky about which amp there used on and which model is used with what amp...
Well, the stomp is the perfect little thing to make my peavey classic's tone more of a voxey flavor to it.

But, you're right, it can sound processed if not dialed in right/used in the wrong rig
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Well, the stomp is the perfect little thing to make my peavey classic's tone more of a voxey flavor to it.

But, you're right, it can sound processed if not dialed in right/used in the wrong rig

Yup exactly right, sounded great my Randall but with the VK even at process on like 1 you could hear it....