I am going to buy an electric guitar after playing for a while on a Lyon (bough it to see if I liked to play guitar, now I'm hooked) As you all know this guitar can only get you so far, so I am looking for a new guitar. Either a Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS or an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I have seen many vids and reviews comparing them and listening to many sounds. My question is I know that the Fender has that bluesy, warm, bright sound as opposed to the epiphone, deep, dark, ballsy, sound. The thing is I am looking to play Pink Floyd, RCHP, Led Zep, and Santana. I really can't decide which would be the best. The reason I like the HSS is because it has one humbucker and two single coil pickups. Will this give me a deep rich sound like the Epiphone. By the way I know that the amp has a lot to do with the sound, what is a good amp preferably a small portable 5-10 watt amp.

Thanks
Whoa that was fast thanks for the through explanation. lol I also forgot what are ways to maintain more sustain for any guitar in general?
Most of the bands you mentioned have a strat playing guitarist, and the humbucker at the bridge will be really versatile. The american deluxe strat is a much higher quality guitar too
It won't give you the dark ballsy tone that the epi will, but the fender strat will be better quality. The CokeRox guy doesn't know what he's talking about. The HSS setup will give you some good rock tones, and wil do Jimmy Page, but wont really do santana too well. If you play mainly santana and zeppelin, I'd get the epi, but if you just play bits here and there, then I'd get the strat. Remember it'd be better quality too.
yea that is kinda what I was thinking... it's a Fender... top notch quality. Oh it's this stratStrat HSS Yeah I wish I could justify on a $1,000 axe. Any things I should watch out for with these guitars?
Yeah, if you're gonna get a high-end epiphone and a Fender HSS strat, they're both good guitars, but a big investment (Strat is like 1000 USD). A budget would be good. But whatever you do, do not get a low-end Gibson. high-end Epiphone > Low-end Gibson.

You should go in a local store and try to get a feel for both a Les Paul and a Strat, since they're both two completely different guitars.

My vote goes to the Strat though.
ok then I was also leaning to the strat anyways. Now for the amp. I don't think my bundled amp from the Lyon Kit. I know nothing about amps...

oh yea the black sunburst looks niiiice
Last edited by cad2blender at May 12, 2008,
Prs Se?
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Girlfriend (doubles as a Tube Screamer)
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
This strength is built and maintained by masturbation.
Amp? What music will you be playin? What you gonna use it for? (Bedroom? Jamming? Band Practicioneer?) and budget? need all the above info to give a suggestion.
Quote by Down Shifter
Prs Se?

+1

When I play Pink Floyd I almost always use my PRS it sounds better than the strats playing them. But the strat over the epi everyday of the week. I chose the PRS over the $1000.00 les paul studio because its just a better guitar. Both of my strats are HSS one of which is all emg's.
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
TS, if I was you, I'd rather get a cheaper Fender like a Highway 1, or a Deluxe Players model or something, and the rest of the money can be put towards a better amp. Depending on where you live, there are plenty of low wattage valve amps out there that will bring out the best in your guitar, but do not go solid state or hybrid. I hate seeing people pair up decent guitars with Roland cubes and Vox Valvetronixes, and anonamooseguy, I don't mean you! At least you've got a Blues Junior there too! )
If you were playing any of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' songs, I think the Epiphone Les Paul would leave far too much to be desired.
The Setup:
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Crate GFX-30
Vox AD50VT
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat, its got that S-1 switch, lets you get a beefier tone out of it. Also you could probably load your strat with duncan JB's or dimarzio tonezone for high gain,ballsy sounds. I was thinking of getting it not too long ago.
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
Marshall MG15DFX(Practice amp)
Peavey Classic Rocker 30/Vox AC15( Coming soon)
POD X3 Live..xD
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special(In my dreams...)
Most everything has already been said. One fella, anonamooseguy, mentioned the PRS, and that is really worth taking a listen to. If you go to a store that sells them, and you really want to compare apples and oranges, ask your (knowledgeable) sales person to play all three. Mention some of your favorite songs (the ones you can play, and the ones you can't ... yet. Hear them through a good amp, just so the amp isn't a limitation for you. The tube amps, as a rule, are really much better. Also, while you're looking at the PRS offerings, check out their 'SE' series...The sound really is amazing, and the versatility is there. The SE's are made off-shore, but don't let that scare you. They send PRS experts over there to monitor and guide production. Good luck in your search.
Quote by cad2blender
Whoa that was fast thanks for the through explanation. lol I also forgot what are ways to maintain more sustain for any guitar in general?

thorough i think is the word there dude, and to stay on topic, fender strat covers more bases then the LP in my opinion. Mind you i'm rocking a tele so its a bit weird suggesting the strat :P
Last edited by country_juggler at May 12, 2008,
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by greggybhoy
TS, if I was you, I'd rather get a cheaper Fender like a Highway 1, or a Deluxe Players model or something, and the rest of the money can be put towards a better amp. Depending on where you live, there are plenty of low wattage valve amps out there that will bring out the best in your guitar, but do not go solid state or hybrid. I hate seeing people pair up decent guitars with Roland cubes and Vox Valvetronixes, and anonamooseguy, I don't mean you! At least you've got a Blues Junior there too! )

I can't knock the Vox my man is sounds as good as the Blues Jr. Next time your in GC go get an PRS SE and hook it to Vox AD50 VT set it up with a Floyd setting and be amazed is all I can say.
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
I would say epiphone, as long as its a standard or better. if you are comparing the epi les paul standard and the fender mim standard stratocaster, then epi.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground