Hey UG, just a random question here, just searching around for suggestions...

I have to build a catapult (or other mechanical device, aslong as it doesn't use explosives , and can be triggered) for a physics prac that will launch an egg (can be in a capsule/protected) as far as possible. I was thinking a trebuchet- type thing

Wiki page

Still thinking about it though, so, yeah, if anyone has done something similar or has any ideas, it'd be appreciated
......... because here at mcdonald's our special ingredient is our people...
A trebuchet would surely be hard to construct than a basic slingshot type dealy?

Also, you have to take into account the firing point, as if you trigger it at the wrong time, your egg will either smash into the floor or be launched into the air!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
From my long years of watching Scrapheap Challenge, I would suggest keeping it as simple as possible, the less things that can break/go wrong the better, so probably a catapult, slingshot or ballista(essentially a giant crossbow) type idea as im pretty sure they would be less complex than a trebuchet.
You can find blueprints for trebuchets all over the internet. I had to build one for physics in high school using no prior knowledge of projectile motion. You read that correctly. I was assigned to build a trebuchet based on the laws of projectile motion that had never been mentioned at all prior to that moment.

Mine shot an orange straight up for what seemed like forever, and then destroyed itself during the next shot.

I believe a trebuchet will get the most range of any listed thus far.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
I made a gun once.

All you need is some pipes, a regular valve, a valve off a bike tyre, and some solder.

Place egg in barrel. Pump air into chamber. Open valve. High air pressure shoots egg.
OMFG!!!!!
BALLISTA BALLISTA BALLISTA!!! that was my favorite unit in ages of empire 2
Just because I play the drums doesn't mean I suck at guitar, or ams that I's iz stoopidz.

Space that ain't yours
Quote by majonior
slingshot+coat hanger+shoestring ftw

Quote by metacarpi
A trebuchet would surely be hard to construct than a basic slingshot type dealy?

Also, you have to take into account the firing point, as if you trigger it at the wrong time, your egg will either smash into the floor or be launched into the air!

Slingshot would be a hell of a lot easier, but it was to be something that is triggered- i.e. I can't hold it back then let it go, it has to latch onto something and 'be fired'

^lol, apparently that happened to someone in my teacher's class a couple of years ago- they built a huge one (that wouldn't fit through the door...) and it fired it straight into the ground

Quote by Gaz_m2k5
I made a gun once.

All you need is some pipes, a regular valve, a valve off a bike tyre, and some solder.

Place egg in barrel. Pump air into chamber. Open valve. High air pressure shoots egg.

Would be fun can't do that though- it needs to be mechanical, not air expansion (explosion, or like that)

Quote by lespaulrocks39
You can find blueprints for trebuchets all over the internet. I had to build one for physics in high school using no prior knowledge of projectile motion. You read that correctly. I was assigned to build a trebuchet based on the laws of projectile motion that had never been mentioned at all prior to that moment.

Mine shot an orange straight up for what seemed like forever, and then destroyed itself during the next shot.

I believe a trebuchet will get the most range of any listed thus far.

Yeah, I was thinking it'd get a fair bit of range- was it hard to build?

Quote by majonior
OMFG!!!!!
BALLISTA BALLISTA BALLISTA!!! that was my favorite unit in ages of empire 2

lol! Haven't played that in ages
......... because here at mcdonald's our special ingredient is our people...
Try using a mousetrap.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
I built a trebuchet a few years ago. Very unpredictable. Once you figure out how to set it up correctly, it will launch stuff much further than a simple sprung catapult, but the sling mechanism is hella chaotic, and can end up launching it a hundred meters forward, or it can just flop to the ground...or if it really goes wrong, it can launch in backwards. The most predictable form of catapult is a counterweighted 'Mangonel' - works like a simple catapult, except instead of using tension to fire it, it uses a counterweight like a trebuchet.
Quote by Mitch72

Yeah, I was thinking it'd get a fair bit of range- was it hard to build?

lol! Haven't played that in ages

Not really. I've you've got access to a table saw and some lumber you can build one. Though I'd recommend reinforcing the base and sides well, as that was the main problem with mine. Also the weight mechanism caused too much recoil, which combined with the light base basically made it rock forward and shoot randomly.

If you can get the proper sling, and get the string length correct to have to release at 45 degrees it can go ridiculously far.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.