Page 1 of 2
Ok so im buying some new pedals for my rhcp tone..
right now on my list is
boss ds-2
big muff pi USA

Im still wondering what other pedals i should get to get that rhcp sound...
so what else will i need that would be a must buy?

And if it matters im running through a VOX ad30 with a MIM strat that i got for my bday =]
loving the amp =]
Too much stuff to remember the names on Frusciantes' pedalboard. Surf the net you'll find the details.
Guitars
'55 Fender Stratocaster
'57 Fender Stratocaster (2 color sunburst with maple neck)
'61 Fender Stratocaster (olympic white finish)
'62 Fender Stratocaster (3 color sunburst finish)
'65 Fender Telecaster (with Fender "f" on pickguard)
70's Fender Stratocaster (red)
60's Fender Jaguar (for warmups and solo career)
'56 Gibson ES-335 (two color sunburst finish)
'61 Gibson SG (custom cherry red finish)
'69 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Ibanez RG250 (for recording of Mother's Milk)
Martin 0-15 acoustic
'55 Gretsch White Falcon

Amplifiers
Marshall Major 200W (KT 88 tubes)
Marshall Silver Jubilee (50/25 watts)

Picks
Red Jim Dunlop Tortex 0.50mm picks

Strings
D'Addario XL .10s-.046 (with a .11 on the high E string)

Effects
BOSS CE-1 Chorus
BOSS DS-2 Turbo Distortion
2x Digitech PDS-8000 Delay
Digitech Whammy
Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress Flanger
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Electro-Harmonix POG Polyphonic Octave Generator
Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Ibanez WH10 Wah
Line6 FM4 Filter Modeler
Line6 DL4 Delay Modeler
MXR Micro Amp
Moog MF-101 Low-Pass Filter
Moog MF-102 Ring Modulator
Moog MF-103 12-Stage Phaser
Moog MF-105 MURF
Moog MF-105B Bass MURF
Moog CP-251 Control Processor
any specific ones that are really important that i should get?
Last edited by me4rchp at May 12, 2008,
Chorus, Wah.

However most of his tone comes from the amp he has. Good luck trying to model a silver jubilee.
what chorus and wah pedals can you recommend anyone?
i dont want anything expensive..
i know john has a WH10 and those are extremely rare and expensive, what can i use to replicate it?
how would a boss ce-5 chorus pedal
and a
jim dunlop crybaby wah original do with rhcp?
Ok, in that picture, I see, from left to right:

Line 6 DL-4 (the green one)
EHX Electric Mistress Flanger
2 PDS-800 Delay pedals (I think they are Digitech)
Looks to me like a SOlasound TOnebender clone of some kind, I am not sure (the orange one)
Line 6 FM-4 (the purple one)
Moog Low Pass filters (by the look of it)
Moog MuRF
Moog Bass MuRF (i think it is a bass murf)
Another Moog Low Pass Filter
Moog Ring Modulator

Bottom row:
I can't see what those two things are but they look like Moog Contollers
Roland CE-1 Chorus (good luck finding one of those mate)
Moog Control Processor
looks like a booster of some kind (the white one)
the next two i can't make out
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Big Muff PI
MXR Micro Amp
wah or volume pedals I am not familar with.

So basically, good luck trying to replicate that. My pedalboard costs over $6000 dollars and it's not even half that. Plus, I really think John Frusciante has that many experimental pedals that I really do not hear in his music, so much that I really don't think he needs them.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by me4rchp
how would a boss ce-5 chorus pedal
and a
jim dunlop crybaby wah original do with rhcp?

I personally think you'd be better off with a Fulltone Clyde or a Vox wah. As to chors, i'm afraid I don't know many brands because I use a G Sharp multi effects. Purely on that I would tell you that the T.C Electronic SFC pedal might be worth a look.
http://www.tcelectronic.com/SCF.asp
John's tone comes mostly from his amp. My Silver Jubilee pretty much was set on "Can't Stop" mode before I even touched any knobs. :P

Although, the Holy Grail Reverb by EHX gives a nice, somewhat Fruish, colour to tone of tube amps. Also, the Big Muff (or English Muffn') is WAY more important than the DS-2. Sadly his favourite pedal seems to be the WH10 Wah, which has a very specific sound to it. It's almost... like a synth or something, while other wahs tries to be classic "Voodoo-wahs". Don't get me wrong, I LOVE playing with my Clyde Deluxe by Fulltone. But it's not the same kind of tone as the WH10. Not better, not worse, just different.
Custom PRS-style guitar
'62 reissue Fender Stratocaster
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Quote by IncubusMan999
Plus, I really think John Frusciante has that many experimental pedals that I really do not hear in his music, so much that I really don't think he needs them.

He uses them all live. They're in some of the studio stuff but it's much more subtle. Live, you get kicked in the face with cool stuff, the Moogs especially.
I've read that John Frusciante has used an RMC Picture Wah. Have i completely lost my mind?
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
From Geoffrey a while ago:
"Hi Everybody,
It is time I set the record straight. John does indeed own one of my RMC wahs. He purchased a PICTURE WAH from Big City Music, the same place he gets a lot of his vintage synths. He heard the PW and immediately fell in love with the sound. I don't have a clue when or where he uses it. That's not my job."

He's being a bit modest- the last time I saw the chilis live there was a picture wah on JF's board. I think there was the time before too but I didn't get a good look. So yes, he uses it. I don't know how extensively, but based on what I've seen the pic wah has replaced the WH-10, at least for gigging.
^
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^^ wooow... that's a big piece of untruth...
John still uses a WH-10 - especially live because in studio He used (SA recordings) Dimebag Custom - Dunlop DB-02. I'm sure there are no pics of John using a PW on SA Tour. Now He doesn't tour, I think on the 22nd of April He played a small gig with WU Tang Clan.

Let's get back to the subject...
The most important pedals:
- Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
- EHX USA Big Muff/English Muff'N (it's different than Big Muff but You can basically get the sound and John "fell" in love with that pedal lately - SA Tour)
- nice wah, it can be even a Vox V847 (a), it's very classic but it has a pretty deep range but unfortunately it doesn't sound good with dist. So for the wah the ebst thing is to have a WH-10.
- Boss CE-2, CE-3 Chorus

That's the most important pedals I think. JOHN FRUSCIANTE ROCKS!!
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
It's ok that there are no pictures of him using the PW on the tour, but I *did* see it on his board. It might have been a one-time thing, but I'm pretty sure of it. I don't think it was the dime wah either. It definitely was not the WH-10.
^ oh... so I'm sorry, I didn't want to be rude or something... I just thought that it's one of those mistifications... someone saw something and so on... but if You saw that then it's an interesting thing... where was it man? it's pretty weird but if You say so... what about the sound? Did that wah sound like PW?
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
Quote by Karol1701
^ oh... so I'm sorry, I didn't want to be rude or something... I just thought that it's one of those mistifications... someone saw something and so on... but if You saw that then it's an interesting thing... where was it man? it's pretty weird but if You say so... what about the sound? Did that wah sound like PW?

It was the Milwaukee show, Feb. 28 last year. I haven't played a pic wah but it didn't sound like the usual WH-10 I had heard before. I couldn't get a very good look, but I'm fairly certain it was not the usual wah. I think I would have recognized the dime wah with the camo and red switch on the side, but who knows? I could be wrong.
I couldn't see the board during the show so I got as close as I could afterwards, so it's possible I was just looking in the wrong place and saw one of the expression pedals for a moog, too.
I need a "stumped" smiley. I really can't remember that well, and I could easily be wrong.
you want a WH-10

but

given that theyre rather tricky to come by, try a vox V847, perhaps a standard crybaby if you'll be using more dirt, the vox doesnt handle gain very well

that and a phase 90 and youre set

actually consider the Boss PH-3. if you like the tone, its got 7 modes, its pretty versatile.
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Get a Big Muff, DS-2, a decent wah, such as a Vox or Fulltone or RMC. I'd advise you not to get the WH-10, it's not great for anything that isn't Froosh/Omar Rodriguez. A Small Clone would do his Chorus, Small Stone would do his Phaser, and get a nice delay for his delay.

The Valvetronix isn't gonna do Froosh well.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Last edited by rhcp_freak at May 13, 2008,
Holy F**k His pedal board is big...
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Maybe a Crybaby 535Q because it has many options to find that right sound.

But hey guys! Haven't you seen the slash video here in UG TV? He says that everyone has they're own playing stile and personality. You can't just copy them.
Its in the fingers, you know....

But good luck anyway.
Quote by Roc8995
It was the Milwaukee show, Feb. 28 last year. I haven't played a pic wah but it didn't sound like the usual WH-10 I had heard before. I couldn't get a very good look, but I'm fairly certain it was not the usual wah. I think I would have recognized the dime wah with the camo and red switch on the side, but who knows? I could be wrong.
I couldn't see the board during the show so I got as close as I could afterwards, so it's possible I was just looking in the wrong place and saw one of the expression pedals for a moog, too.
I need a "stumped" smiley. I really can't remember that well, and I could easily be wrong.

The wah you saw was blue right? It's most definately the Foxx Fuzzwah then.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by Hentsik
Maybe a Crybaby 535Q because it has many options to find that right sound.

But hey guys! Haven't you seen the slash video here in UG TV? He says that everyone has they're own playing stile and personality. You can't just copy them.
Its in the fingers, you know....

But good luck anyway.

You can't find the Wh-10 sound on any other pedal.

Just get a decent Fulltone/RMC/Vox/not Dunlop wah.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
He used a cry baby from hell on stadium arcadium if I'm not mistaken.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles
He used a cry baby from hell on stadium arcadium if I'm not mistaken.

A modded one.

He only used it on a couple of songs anyway.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
The wah you saw was blue right? It's most definately the Foxx Fuzzwah then.

It was not blue. The blue RMCs were not out at that time. I'd definitely know if it was the fuzzwah, what with the ten thousand knobs, the rounded front, and the huge obnoxious switch hanging off the top.
wait, is the big muff really that important? or can i just get that kinda tone from the ds-2?
Quote by Roc8995
He uses them all live. They're in some of the studio stuff but it's much more subtle. Live, you get kicked in the face with cool stuff, the Moogs especially.

According to John, most effects on the studio recordings are derived from synth filtering.
Quote by me4rchp
wait, is the big muff really that important? or can i just get that kinda tone from the ds-2?

You won't get his lead sound with the DS-2. At all. I made that mistake.
You hear the DS-2 in the choruses of Dani California, the distorted power chords, which it's pretty great for actually.

Also the Slane Castle intro might be the DS-2, although I'm not sure about that. But the lead sound he's get in solos now days are mostly Big Muff/Muffn, sometimes boosted by the DS-2. But yeah, a muff is rather important.
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
^ well said. ****... You have great equipment dude!!
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
Quote by Karol1701

Heh, thanks!
I actually feel quite... content with my gear at the moment.
Really strange feeling. ._.
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Quote by Chances
You won't get his lead sound with the DS-2. At all. I made that mistake.
You hear the DS-2 in the choruses of Dani California, the distorted power chords, which it's pretty great for actually.

Also the Slane Castle intro might be the DS-2, although I'm not sure about that. But the lead sound he's get in solos now days are mostly Big Muff/Muffn, sometimes boosted by the DS-2. But yeah, a muff is rather important.

Yeah, The Muff's really important for his lead stuff. You're right, Slane's intro's just the DS-2, and he used the DS-2 on it's own for the solo in Can't Stop at La Cigale.

Quote by Karol1701

Only cos it's Frooshy fanboy stuff.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
True that there's... mostly Johnish gear. >.>
But actually, the Fulltone and the Fuzzface-clone wasn't bought for John tone at all. And I don't only play the strat, there's two custom built guitars (one hollowbody and one that's more PRS-like). So there's not ONLY Froosh fanboy stuff here. ^^

But man, the strat and the Jub... they just feel so right.
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Quote by Chances
True that there's... mostly Johnish gear. >.>
But actually, the Fulltone and the Fuzzface-clone wasn't bought for John tone at all. And I don't only play the strat, there's two custom built guitars (one hollowbody and one that's more PRS-like). So there's not ONLY Froosh fanboy stuff here. ^^

But man, the strat and the Jub... they just feel so right.

See the end of the post, I used a ''.

Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Page 1 of 2