So Im going to work over the summer and Ill be coming into a bit of money.
Ive decided to get a new amp with my money since my current amp is a Crate BT25 which distorts if i go past three.
So far Ive had my eye on...
The Warwick ProFet 3.2 head
The Carvin BX600 head
The Markbass LittleMarkll head
and The Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II Bass Head

The Cab I have in mind is a Avatar 2x12 neo
My limit is around 800 to 900 US dollars and my music that I play ranges from Rock to Funk and from Tap to slap so I want to be pretty versitile.
What are your oppinions and what others would you suggest?

Ty,
Wil

Edit: and some of you may have seen my older amp threads, but the nice folks at talkbass convinced me otherwise of the markbass head.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at May 12, 2008,
Normally, in this situation, I would be all over the Carvin, but to be honest, I tried out a MarkBass the other day... WOW. Best bass sound I've ever heard. It was modern enough to get that hi-fi kind of sound, but it also had this sweet natural tone when it was flat that was so bubbly and warm. It might not be your thing because it wasn't an aggressive amp, from what I heard of it and since I'm a judgemental bastard I'm guessing you want a fairly agresive sound. One thing I will say in favour of the Little Mark outright; it's not a GK. Also, its loud as hell, way underrated wattage-wise.
Quote by c3powil
Ive decided to get a new amp with my money since my current amp is a Crate BT25 which distorts if i go past three.

You could be driving the preamp on your crate to hard so what youre hearing is preamp distortion rather than power amp distortion. If your amp has an input volume, turn it down; if not, just turn it down on your bass.

I know it doesnt help atm but it might be a little relief between amps.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
To be completely honest, when I tried out Markbass amps I didn't like them at all. Yeah, they had plenty of volume and were portable, but they had almost no vibe. It was almost too clean. Yeah, clarity is a good thing, but you need character as well.

My vote goes for either the Warwick or GK amp. I used to own an older GK 800RB and was very satisfied with it; the "Boost" knob is your best friend on that amp! Also, GK's are probably the toughest amps on the market today, and they generally tend to last forever. When the nuclear apocalypse comes around, all that will be left are cockroaches, Keith Richards, and GK amps.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
I'm a proud sponsor for Markbass, my rig consist of a LMII and a 4x10 cab and hell I'm saving right now for another 4x10.

I suggest you look into used gear, the other time I saw a used 4x10 by Mesaboogie for $300 in mint condition.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
Egad? thats an unusual tuning.

*warned self* for spam.

lol, hilarious

And I thoght a 2x12 was louder than a 4x10 and had more mids.I love my mids.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by watchingmefall
I'm a proud sponsor for Markbass, my rig consist of a LMII and a 4x10 cab and hell I'm saving right now for another 4x10.

I suggest you look into used gear, the other time I saw a used 4x10 by Mesaboogie for $300 in mint condition.

****, why aren't I you?! How do you like the MarkBass? I played through and it just sang. I couldn't play a wrong note through it. To MountainDew: the more characterless the better. I was actually worried a little about the MarkBass because it seemed to have a little too much character for my taste.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
****, why aren't I you?! How do you like the MarkBass? I played through and it just sang. I couldn't play a wrong note through it. To MountainDew: the more characterless the better. I was actually worried a little about the MarkBass because it seemed to have a little too much character for my taste.

The best amp I've ever played. The tone is crystal clear with just a little grit derived from my playing style more than anything, every nuance in your playing WILL be showed. Plus they look awesome, they are yellow.
im replacing my Crate BT50 with a GK 700RB-II, still undecided on a cab. The GK seems to blow everything away in its price range and I love the GK sound. But thats me, if you like the way GK sounds you wont be disappointed with the 700RB-II
Quote by watchingmefall
The best amp I've ever played. The tone is crystal clear with just a little grit derived from my playing style more than anything, every nuance in your playing WILL be showed. Plus they look awesome, they are yellow.

Are you kidding? Markbass amps look like Stryper's PA!
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
look at ashdown, i got an ABM evo II 500 and it's great
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
I'd like to see a wall of Markbass amps... that would be sweet.
I'd say that Mark or Carvin would be good.
EGAD...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom