From the reviews I've read so far. This is a pretty good overdrive. My question is, is there a better one, OR, what do you recommend for a good OD, price not being an option? Maxon OD9 maybe? What's the difference between the two?
Thank you. So what does the OD9 sound like? Basically, what's the difference between the 808 and the 9?
There are plenty of online write-ups detailing the finer differences between 808-style and 9-style overdrives (Google is your friend), but I think it will suffice in this thread to say that the 808 is more vintage voiced and pushes the amp less hard than the more modern voiced 9.

That being said, I prefer an 808 to a 9. The Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive is an excellent 808 clone with true bypass, a knob to blend in a clean boost, and at a lower price point than the Maxon.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
OD808 is a little smoother, the OD9 is a little gainier and harsher. The OD9 also has True-Bypass.
Thank again. Would there be a benefit to owning both? Is the sound difference noticable? (I did Google it by the way, some (most) people's opinion made no sense to me going off what I was reading. I've gotten the answer I was looking for here in ten minutes) Sorry if you think I was being lazy, I wasn't.
Also, don't expect it to do its job if you use it with an SS amp. It's designed to drive a valve preamp section
Quote by Horlicks
Also, don't expect it to do its job if you use it with an SS amp. It's designed to drive a valve preamp section

Oh God no...This is for a valve amp. I'm not a big fan of SS amps. Almost all of them sound awful IMHO. I'm going to order both of these pedals and see what I think, maybe I'll keep them both. Thanks everyone. I appreciate the info.
What about a Digitech Bad Monkey? Would that be more like the 808 or the 9? and I'm naturally assuming that the Maxon pedals are going to be better right?