I've never played bass, I have until the 31st to learn a couple of songs and play with my friend's band, it's gonna be a pretty big concert. I've played guitar for almost 3 years, and it's mostly simple bass lines, I'm a pretty quick learner, so, will I be ready in time?
If you break a world speed record for a video game, are you a winner, or just someone who REALLY needs to go outside?

Quote by AdemaOnYourHead
My favorite Pokemon is still Dave Mustaine.
Probably. I have faith in you, man. Have fun at the gig, get a video or something so we can see.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
practising your technique will be key here.

Whenever you want to practise, i'd run scales for 20mins focusing on left hand and right hand technique. Then play through the songs a couple of times.

Better technique will get you sounding better and will enable you to perform better too.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
yeah and plus if the songs are to hectic just play the root note and right up a structure, trust me i have 2 weeks to learn 30 songs for this gig, cause the member has hurt his arm lol, so in some songs i will play the real bass line, but for others just cheap it lol
Quote by mcrocks
I've never played bass, I have until the 31st to learn a couple of songs and play with my friend's band, it's gonna be a pretty big concert. I've played guitar for almost 3 years, and it's mostly simple bass lines, I'm a pretty quick learner, so, will I be ready in time?

If you're a pick guitarist, I guess it will take some time to get good finger technique, but if it's just simple songs go for it!

If you can't get your fingers ready for then, just use the pick.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
don't know if I can, but I'll try to get one, the songs are like 15 minutes, but most parts are just bass lines, I don't know, but it's possible they might do a few impromptu solo's, they have before, so I'll just have to make something up just in case.
If you break a world speed record for a video game, are you a winner, or just someone who REALLY needs to go outside?

Quote by AdemaOnYourHead
yeah, they mentioned that I could use a pick if I prefer it, which I do, but I'll try to learn them the right way first, and maybe try slap.

Quote by AdemaOnYourHead
dude same notes as guitar just octave down u can still do little riffs if u want its not to hard but maybee thats cus i see the fret board in terms of notes and chords
If they do decide on an impromptu solo, the best thing you can do is play the verse or the chorus underneath to keep things going.

This is one of the problems of being in the band for a short time, you dont get tight enough to know the ins and outs of each others playing.

When you play with a band for a long time you start to become teleapathic almost, someone might make a huge **** up and you can play through it as if it never happened!

Once, my frontman started to sing the chorus of one of our songs again rather than the breakdown, it only took the rest of the band a second to realise what had happened and switch over to the chorus, then we played the breakdown after that.

I've seen many a band make a pretty big mistake like that and abort the song all together.

You could ask the band to make sure you know what to do if they have an extended solo and stuff and confirm this with the drummer. Good luck for your performance btw.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
The winner is... The Hypno Toad! But yeah, I meant they might try to make me do an Impromptu solo just to **** with me. I've known most of these guys for about 6 years and it sounds like something they'd do.

Quote by AdemaOnYourHead
rock on dude just go for it the only thing you can do is try your best

just practise keeping rhythm n you should be good
well, thanks, I have a lot more confidence in my ability to get this stuff down in time.

Quote by AdemaOnYourHead
what bass do you have or are you borrowin a bass from the guy whos in the band regularly
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Borrowing a bass, and I'm playing songs that the guys wrote.

Quote by AdemaOnYourHead
Quote by mcrocks
and maybe try slap.

...I'm sorry, I giggled a little at this.

Slap is a complicated technique, I doubt you'll get it down properly by the 31st.
But you should be on track, your left hand should be fine with the transition, it's just a bit chunkier and further to move about, but most guitarists are fine with it.

If you want to play with your fingers, you're going to need to get quite a bit of practice to make sure you get callouses quickly, or it'll hurt like hell if you're going to play agressively.

Good luck all the same!
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Your name is MCRocks... So i would have to say no.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by AmpleSteak
Your name is MCRocks... So i would have to say no.

1. F*** you.
2. yeah, mcr does rock.
3. Yeah, I mess around with slap a little.
4. I don't care if I get it down, I just want to mess with it.

so yeah...

Quote by AdemaOnYourHead
Quote by mcrocks
yeah, they mentioned that I could use a pick if I prefer it, which I do, but I'll try to learn them the right way first, and maybe try slap.

both techniques are acceptable, you dont have to call fingerstyle 'the right way' even though it is ofc
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
you already play guitar so that make thing easier and you have like 15 days to learn 2 songs so i doubt you have any problem
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
terry u didnt even play that show they just played without a bassist lol
Quote by element4433
That happened to me once. Then I got in my flying car, flew home and made love to my wife, Scarlett Johansen.

Quote by RobertiusB
I've seen Lil' Wayne do some pretty technical solos tbh.