i've pretty much settled on this amp because ive found a used one for $350 at my local guitar center... i was wondering if that is the best choice or if i should go with the Crate V Series 50W tube combo instead... i play mostly rhcp, a little metallica, blink-182, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Wolfmother, Boston, Jet, Green Day, and little bits of classic rock too, etc.

just wondering if im making the right choice

i will use this amp for practice, small/medium gigs with my cover band, and recording
Last edited by AJS19 at May 12, 2008,
if anything just test both very thoroughly, as I have had a Valveking and my Head had problems, just test it at high volumes and alot of different settings
I'd take the Crate, personally, I found the VK to be really muddy when I tried it in GC.
I would have seriously taken a SS over the VK after hearing that.

Haven't played the Crate though.
Quote by -Collapse-
I'd take the Crate, personally, I found the VK to be really muddy when I tried it in GC.
I would have seriously taken a SS over the VK after hearing that.

Haven't played the Crate though.

Thats the speakers the amp isn't really that muddy unless you push the gain past 7.
One down fall to the VK is it needs a speaker upgrade and possibly tubes to be a decent amp..
I loved the VK when I played it. I might not have cranked it enough to hear the muddy side of it that people say.
I really like mine, I've only had it for about a month but I don't regret it. But just make sure you try it out and make sure that you like it before you buy.
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Custom(Alpine White)
-Alvarez RD20S(Natural)
-Ibanez AE20E (Blue)
-Peavey Valveking half stack
-Crate Blue Voodoo 6212
-Boss ME-50
-BC Rich Warlock Exotic w EMG 81

Ashton's Magnum Myspace
I actually like mine again now that im getting a different amp and i've stopping trying to make this one something its not lol

Modern metal it is not but for thrash type metal this thing hammers some stuff out.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I actually like mine again now that im getting a different amp and i've stopping trying to make this one something its not lol

Modern metal it is not but for thrash type metal this thing hammers some stuff out.

what about for the genres i am playing that i listed in the first post?
It should handle those genres wonderfully. Also, try putting an eq in the effects loop, it can really change you tone(I found it significantly better).
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112 with JJ's and V30
Roland Micro Cube
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
Quote by Xeroxed
It should handle those genres wonderfully. Also, try putting an eq in the effects loop, it can really change you tone(I found it significantly better).

im new to all this technical stuff explain the eq effects thing
I got the Valveking a little while ago and was absolutely blown away. It's really versatile so you should be fine in that department. Seriously, it's an amazing amp.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
Quote by Ringtone
I got the Valveking a little while ago and was absolutely blown away. It's really versatile so you should be fine in that department. Seriously, it's an amazing amp.

i tested it at guitar center...AMAZING! blew me out of the water...then again im still playing on my strat pack amp :P
i have Valveking and it's perfect for any kind of rock. But for metal it needs a distortion pedal..
Quote by metacarpi
I get called a slut all the time, and I'm a dude.

Quote by BornToRun
i have Valveking and it's perfect for any kind of rock. But for metal it needs a distortion pedal..

im gettin a ValveKing 212 as soon as my bonus check comes from Uncle Sam, and i already have a Bad Monkey for overdrive...
what distortion pedal would be best for the VK? and does it need to be paired with the Monkey to push it into new territory, or will the VK be fine with one or the other?

thinkin about an OCD or tubescreamer, but havent checked any of them out yet....
also, recommend an EQ for the VK?
You do not need a distortion pedal for it to do metal, you don't even need an overdrive for it to do metal. Buying a distortion pedal for use with this amp would be insulting and ridiculous.

That said, it can do metal *better* with a Bad Monkey, seriously they should have a package deal or some coupon for the BM with every VK purchase (level maxed, gain at 0). Just a word of warning, you won't get the buzzfest 5150 tones from this, you will get a nice saturated gain though, it's a great head.

I've played through recs, 5150's, 6505's (good but... def not for me. I'll take the one that doesn't sound like a rubberband being flicked under a buzzfest).

Also prepare for quite a bit of "hate" by a few people who didn't like it for the few seconds they played it, or felt they needed a better "name" to earn some kind of (lol!) respect. If anyone has any questions about the VK, just send me a PM. I'm always open.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
Quote by ParryPerson
You do not need a distortion pedal for it to do metal, you don't even need an overdrive for it to do metal. Buying a distortion pedal for use with this amp would be insulting and ridiculous.

That said, it can do metal *better* with a Bad Monkey, seriously they should have a package deal or some coupon for the BM with every VK purchase (level maxed, gain at 0). Just a word of warning, you won't get the buzzfest 5150 tones from this, you will get a nice saturated gain though, it's a great head.

I've played through recs, 5150's, 6505's (good but... def not for me. I'll take the one that doesn't sound like a rubberband being flicked under a buzzfest).

Also prepare for quite a bit of "hate" by a few people who didn't like it for the few seconds they played it, or felt they needed a better "name" to earn some kind of (lol!) respect. If anyone has any questions about the VK, just send me a PM. I'm always open.

+1

It took me a while to find all its quirks, even threatened to sell it, destroy it and a few other choice things in that process. But now i wouldn't sell it or trade it for anything. I'm getting a great tone out it, sure its not a 6505 but thats not the end all tone. Different amps are good for different things you just have to find there niche.