Well, my Strat had fret buzz, took it to the local guitar shop to lower the buzz, apparently they put relief on the neck and did some other stuff, but the fret buzz on the G string is much worse, took it back and he said he couldn't spot anything. Even when I generally just play the string, it sounds like it's trapped in the nut or something, there is a weird high pitched noise come from the nut area, but if there was a problem with the nut shouldn't the guitar shop spotted this? Anyone know what the problem is?
''Quietly turning the backdoor key
Stepping outside she is free.''

My Equipment =

Fender 2008 American Standard Stratocaster
Vox ADVT15-XL
Aria ASP-30
is the buzz thru the amp?

if not, then it's not generally considered a problem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yeah sometimes, and I find that the G string goes out of tune when I bend it too, sounds like symptoms of nut problems but I'd like a second opinion

My Equipment =

Vox ADVT15-XL
Aria ASP-30
you can lube the nut cut and string it a little better.

if it's not that, then, the tuner might be a little funky.

as for buzzing, a string gauge change might sit better in the cut of the nut.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Try lubricating the nut (shuddup...) with something like Big Bends Nut Sauce, GHS Graphitall, or simple graphite dust from a pencil. See if that alleviates the strange sound.

Also, make sure you tighten the truss-rod cover so it's not loose and rattling.

When playing the G-string, also mute all the other strings to eliminate the possiblity that it could be another string vibrating.

Edit: Curses... Jenny has a quicker draw than I....
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
Try lubricating the nut (shuddup...) with something like Big Bends Nut Sauce, GHS Graphitall, or simple graphite dust from a pencil. See if that alleviates the strange sound.

Also, make sure you tighten the truss-rod cover so it's not loose and rattling.

When playing the G-string, also mute all the other strings to eliminate the possiblity that it could be another string vibrating.

Edit: Curses... Jenny has a quicker draw than I....

Strats don't have truss rod covers

My Equipment =

Vox ADVT15-XL
Aria ASP-30
Quote by PhilBurrows2008
Strats don't have truss rod covers

Woops! LOL Missed the "strat" bit, and just saw the problem in of itself.

Brain working on automatic.... (I'm at work).

Consider Jenny's suggestion on the tuner's also. Basically, make sure nothing's loose.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I agree with the nut and string gauge suggestions, jj and hakael know their stuff so they're well worth listening to. I make my own 'nut sauce' (stop s******ing, you at the back) by mixing graphite powder from a pencil into vaseline and adding a little to the nut and bridge saddles. Haven't snapped a string on stage in months, seems to do the trick!

If the buzz persists, you might want to take it back to the shop that did the setup - you didn't exactly get your money's worth by the sound of it. If all else fails you may end up needing the frets levelled and recrowned, which isn't particularly expensive but still may be more than you wanted to spend...though if executed well it can do wonders for playability, especially on lower- and mid-range guitars.
The buzz seems to be mostly on the G string, there are some on the others, but minor ones which don't come out through an amp so I aint too bothered about them, I'll try lubricating the nut or something. But if there is a problem I am sure my Dad won't be too happy having to travel to Chester (Which is over an hour and half drive where I live) to take the guitar back, I've had nothing but problems with guitars lately

My Equipment =

Vox ADVT15-XL
Aria ASP-30
Last edited by PhilBurrows2008 at May 12, 2008,
well the most important part is, where is the buzz coming from?

take a tiny allen wrench and lower the two pegs on the front of the g saddle.
raise that string a little.

he might be able to fret that string cleanly, and you might be having a problem and need it a touch higher.

or, he's a prick and set it up right, and is now blaming you.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62