I was wondering... If you really enjoy bass and bass playing, is it a natural progression to take up double bass too? I like the idea of playing a 42Hz E note, and I'd like to broaden the genres of music I play too (except for classical).
dude do it! i urge you to! it totally widens your musical ability and sounds better with certain kinds of music
I wouldn't recommend an electric upright if you don't want the sound of an actual upright. They just can't compare.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
You can get an electric upright for cheaper than that: http://www.thomann.de/gb/stagg_edb_3_4_tb.htm

I read a review for that and although it said it wasn't great it said it's a good cheap option for people who want to get into upright and is a better instrument than some that are more expensive.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Rent an upright and take lessons.

These are the two things that everybody has to do.
* Nobody likes WootSticks
Quote by Ki'
Great. It's too bad a simple 4 string electric double bass costs €999+

I'll add it to the list......

999euros!!!
Here in Australia where everything is expensice i could get one for $1000AUD which is like 900euro
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
I got my upright from ebay for $450 USD. It's made of plywood and sounds horrible but it works. Right now I'm saving up for something around 3000-4000. What I recommend is to get a fretless electric (with flatwound strings/high guage) and play around with that to get used to it first.
eh, you have to be careful

i got a 350$ plywood upright off of craigs list, and i love the sound of plywood, but ive had to spend a total of 250$ upgrading the parts that were complete ****

get to know a GOOD luthier and get his recommendation on a cheap but good quality upright before making the purchase, i had to get a new bridge (and get it adjusted) a new end pin and new strings, i also had to get my neck shaved because it was horribly made and therefore extremely uncomfortable to play

just make sure what your buying is good from the start so you dont need to upgrade later, it sucks
why don't you look into making one yourself? I'm sure there's lots of information on how string instruments are constructed...
EUBs don't quite sound the same as regular uprights. Just a caveat. Fun to play tho'
Quote by jimRH7
why don't you look into making one yourself? I'm sure there's lots of information on how string instruments are constructed...

No... The engineering of Upright bass has been so finely honed that I couldn't imagine making one myself.
Quote by jimRH7

Seriously?

Im gonna take a shot in the dark that youve never constructed an instrument for, let alone an upright bass.
OK, mabie not an acoustic one, But is there anything to those electric ones other than a shaped plank of wood, a fretboard, pickup, bridge and tuners?
Threadstarter, I must ask - what do you mean when you say you like playing a 42Hz E note? What does that have to do with an upright that doesn't apply to an electric?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Threadstarter, I must ask - what do you mean when you say you like playing a 42Hz E note? What does that have to do with an upright that doesn't apply to an electric?

Now that you mention it, electric bass might be tuned to the same frequency. My mistake if that's the case. I guess I perceived double bass to be tuned lower.
Nope. The electric bass was modelled after the upright. Same amount of strings. Same tuning.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
yea, but its harder to get the slap from the strings hitting the fretboard and sounds a bit different
GUITAR: Gibson Les Paul Special
AMP:Fender Vibro Champ XD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
USMC
Quote by Ki'
I'd like to broaden the genres of music I play too (except for classical).