I am curious about learning drums, I've wanted to get a set for a while now but I'm not sure what to buy. I don't know anything about various drum brands and such so I was hoping the pit could help me.

Whats the cheapest I could be able to get like an 8 piece kit with some cymbals and such and hopefully a double bass pedal. money doesn't really have to be an issue but the cheaper the better.

thanx in advance
i play drums and guitar :
Well the way I started, my teacher made me play on this little pad for a year or 2 just trying to get a sense of rhythm, but I was about 7 years old back then so I don't think that's usual. If you've already got a sense of rhythm though, you could try and buy a second-hand pearl with some sabian cymbals.
Military use of children?

Infantry.
ummm....get a simple electronic kit, and build onto it as you go
the only reason why i recommend an electronic kit is because your learning and people who are learning drums usually don't sound all that swell for a while lol
Quote by Kneusje
Well the way I started, my teacher made me play on this little pad for a year or 2 just trying to get a sense of rhythm, but I was about 7 years old back then so I don't think that's usual. If you've already got a sense of rhythm though, you could try and buy a second-hand pearl with some sabian cymbals.

my bro had one of those pads, i messed with it for years when i was little so I know what you mean...
i play drums and guitar :
^Well if you're interested in drumming in a band that's a thing I wouldn't recommend. WAY different than the real deal.

EDIT: About the electronic thing.
Military use of children?

Infantry.
Rent a kit to see if you really want to get into it. The one local shop has a pretty sweet set for $40 a month. My friend rented a set, and Im really starting to think about buying a set to learn and master.
Why are we so wicked indecisive
Let's hit the streets with toy explosives
And let's enjoy what we have
i agree with the electric set, thats what i'm doin! i was a full-on guitar man until i got my first drum set, now im mostly guitar/kinda drums,but my snare busted =*[
R.I.P brother dime

Reppin for the new york death metal scene
what makes a man?balls and weiner my friends, balls and weiner
Quote by bluehawk15620
I am curious about learning drums, I've wanted to get a set for a while now but I'm not sure what to buy. I don't know anything about various drum brands and such so I was hoping the pit could help me.

Whats the cheapest I could be able to get like an 8 piece kit with some cymbals and such and hopefully a double bass pedal. money doesn't really have to be an issue but the cheaper the better.

thanx in advance

spend on a middle of the line set, a little lower of the middle of the line actually and then once you are sure you like drums...like after a year of work and such, get a new kit.

IF you know how to tune a kit and such you can make it sound great, just replace the heads on any kit with good quality ones.

Some good helpful drum links:
http://www.freedrumlessons.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/BillConover

Now if you cant have all the noise of an acoustic set in your house, go with Roland v-drums. The newest TD9 set came out a while ago and sounds amazing. It's nice in price too at just $2,000...
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TD9SX/

I highly suggest sticking with Roland drums, their electric kits are by far the best out of all the units out there today. Alesis is one to stay away from...very far away...
Last edited by moody07747 at May 12, 2008,
Double kick at the start is BIG BIG NO NO.

You just can't sit down and just be able to play it.

It takes time and dedication to learn to play single kick well, hell its taken my 5 years of playing to get my foot work to were i want to with a single pedal but on saying that i don't want to get a double pedal because its so lazy and you can do it all on a single.

Like others said rent/borrow a kit or buy a cheapish one then get a good kit about £500 kit, i dunno were your location is so about $1000.