What's up. I know all the notes all the way to the 4th fret but after that things get pretty murky. I can play the notes but I have to hunt and peck them out kind of like you do on a keyboard (comp keyboard that is). Will learning the major and minor guitar scales help fix this problem? Thanks.
No. You need to learn the notes on the fretboard before you learn scales.
Quote by Ze_Metal
No. You need to learn the notes on the fretboard before you learn scales.

yeah one thing at a time
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
learn the notes. its all a pattern and you will get used to it. then scales will come easily
HiMyNameIsMatt
They will help you get your head around intervals and how notes on the guitar relate to each other, so yes.

Do learn the notes over the entire fretboard, but learning scales can be a handy way to do this.
wtf ze Metal?
Yes, learning the major and minor scales is essential to learning how to play guitar, and will help you spread your playing out along the fretboard.
Personally i think it's pretty easy to learn scales and learn the fretboard layout simultaneously, but it's really your choice
its not that hard to learn once you know the chromatic scale, youlll be able to know every note on the fret board, by just remebering order, also make sure to learn all your enharmonics
Quote by BluesLP1990
wtf ze Metal?
Yes, learning the major and minor scales is essential to learning how to play guitar, and will help you spread your playing out along the fretboard.
Personally i think it's pretty easy to learn scales and learn the fretboard layout simultaneously, but it's really your choice

He said "Are scales useful for learning the notes on the fretboard"

I said "No". How will anything make sense if you are learning the major scale and are going by fret numbers and patterns rather then " The root is C, so C...D," ect ect.

And though it could be useful in someways, it's way to much to learn when you try to learn the scales, figure out the note names, then put them all together.