More and more nowadays, I've come across many people/bands using two amps.

As in:
One for their cleans
and the other for their crunch/distortion

Lately, I've been finding it difficult using multi effects + single effects though a single amp and switching channels. If I want to change from a chorus/reverb sound to a delay/OD, I'm having to press 3/4 buttons, which is very hard to do quickly especially when playing live in a band situation.

My question is, is it worth getting two (good) amps and using one for clean and the other for OD?

It would probably something like...

Guitar
Tuner
Line switcher----Multieffects----Fender/Vox
¦
--Delay, Wah, Boost---Vox/Orange

Sorry if this is really complicated, I can try and make more simple if nobody gets what i'm on about. And before you flame me about the multi effects(korg ax3000g), I love the sparkly chorus reverb thing that it producers among other things.
I never found the need too. I have 11 pedals, 13 effects including the spring vibrato and reverb on the Twin. I like the tap dancing myself. The Twin is also really acceptable of pedals, so the clean/dirt thing isn't an issue.

What exactly is your current amp, and why do you run a multi effects and regular? Why not invest in good chorus/reverb that you like.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
I never found the need too. I have 11 pedals, 13 effects including the spring vibrato and reverb on the Twin. I like the tap dancing myself. The Twin is also really acceptable of pedals, so the clean/dirt thing isn't an issue.

What exactly is your current amp, and why do you run a multi effects and regular? Why not invest in good chorus/reverb that you like.

I always try to use my amps distortion, I guess I like it more that way. I played a twin once, it had an emmense clean.

My current amp is is an Vox AC30.
The at the moment, I just use my multieffects, because I like the ability to just change presets quickly, i use more than just the chorus. Eventually I will get single eventually as the multi does suck the tone abit. But for the moment that is what I will be using.
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
I use two amps, and i'd see how that's a good idea to run two amps. Perhaps even two at once!
I use my CBB for cleans and light od, and my peavey classic for some heavier OD, and just to have a different voicing than the CBB.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
I use two amps, and i'd see how that's a good idea to run two amps. Perhaps even two at once!
I use my CBB for cleans and light od, and my peavey classic for some heavier OD, and just to have a different voicing than the CBB.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing I was wondering about, do you use them live?
and if so does it take much longer to set them up, sound check them over just a single one?

to shreadhead
yeah a looppedal would also be another solution to the problem!
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet

Crazy question, what Twin do you have? What year? Mine was always a little fiddly with pedals, but it was a '73.

TS, I'd always vote for simplicity. Try an ME-50 and a Jazz chorus, or a Flextone with a footswitch, if you want lots of flexabiliy and the ability to go *click - one setting, *click - another. A/B-ing two big amps in a live non-pro situation is excessive. Other than take a Valveking 112 onstage in case my main amp takes, I doubt I'd ever want to set up two large amps for any gig.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Crazy question, what Twin do you have? What year? Mine was always a little fiddly with pedals, but it was a '73.

TS, I'd always vote for simplicity. Try an ME-50 and a Jazz chorus, or a Flextone with a footswitch, if you want lots of flexabiliy and the ability to go *click - one setting, *click - another. A/B-ing two big amps in a live non-pro situation is excessive. Other than take a Valveking 112 onstage in case my main amp takes, I doubt I'd ever want to set up two large amps for any gig.

Thanks for the adice, I don't really wanna sell my vox though especially for something like a flextone. I really don't want to be using a pedal for my distortion, I love using my amps OD. hehe.
Quote by turbulenced
Thanks for the adice, I don't really wanna sell my vox though especially for something like a flextone. I really don't want to be using a pedal for my distortion, I love using my amps OD. hehe.

What vox do you have, praytel? An AC30? A little volume knob and pick attack manipulation should get you cleans...
Quote by the.spine.surfs
What vox do you have, praytel? An AC30? A little volume knob and pick attack manipulation should get you cleans...

Yes, I mentioned earlier, Ac30. I do use it for my cleans at the moment. I hate using the volume knob method, because it either ends up not working or completely turning off. or maybe i just need more practise.
Yeah, but as i explained earlier the songs i play live have lots of effect changes so if i was having to press 4 pedals plus roll the volume down i would be waay too late.
it would work great. i would really like to be running two amps, i just dont have the money for a second one. i would like to have a lower wattage marshally type of amp to have always dirty and use my fender for cleans. i would probably even use them simultaneously sometimes too.

use an A/B/Y box so you can use the first one, the second one, and both. it would be a cheap build too.
Okay I think i'm gonna go for it, i'll go to my guitar store and deside on the second one soon. just gotta save up first.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

I have the reissue. It's been great with every pedal I've thrown at it except that Boss Super Overdrive I sold.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
^Which I bought from you, which I in turn sold .
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Yeah i run two amps.. A Fender Twin and Orange AD30. I find used to think it was worth the money but if i had my time again i'd just buy a Bogner XTC or Diezel VH4.. It really depends what you're into though.. But thats me.. I'm starting to like higher gain tone more and more:-)
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
I have the reissue. It's been great with every pedal I've thrown at it except that Boss Super Overdrive I sold.

Crazy. I blame the speakers, then. Anything mid-high gain dirt boxes I put infront of mine took tons of fiddeling to sound right.