the ibanez would be better for heavier stuff because of the floyd rose...i've had both and i liked the ibanez better, but it's player preference. you really have to go and try them out yourself to really make sure it's what you want
SHOWBREAD

Quote by cheese_weasel
Winner of the intellectual comment of the day award.
Go for the ibanez, the clean tone is suprisingly good and everything else is really good.
I have to say the ibanez.
I have practically the same guitar, an RG5EX1, with the HSH layout.
My mom has an epiphone SG, probably the same pickups as the Les Paul, and my ibanez can get just as mellow as the SG and even more aggressive, and the single coil really helps with versatility if you ever need a strat sound.
The edge III is by no means the best, but if you take care of it, it will work reliably.
Just a caution though, the finish on the metal parts of my ibanez wore off really quickly.
Well, If you get the epi, replace the pickups. they SUCK. I know from experience.

ON which you should get: what sound are you looking for? Darker=LP, more balanced=RG370dx
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Floyd Rose bridges are nice...as long as you only use one tuning. Get the Epiphone.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
well im planning on getting an ibanez rg of somekind, just without the floyd rose, cause i switch tuning alot
Quote by MrGoodyear812
well im planning on getting an ibanez rg of somekind, just without the floyd rose, cause i switch tuning alot

There are better options out there for the price, IMO for a good balanced sounding guitar. The Fender Showmaster has a fast neck, 24 frets, and a Strat style trem (not locking) and can be found used for prices similar to the Epi and Ibby.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden