So ive been playing guitar for 4 years now, and ive always just learned songs that i like and ocassionally write some of my own stuff. I really want to take my playing to another level and learn lots of advanced techniques such. Im starting to work on learning theory as well. Could anyone recommend some techniques and such for me to learn. Also where i could get some stuff on learning these techniques. I'm already working on learning scales and such.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Hmm well learning new songs is good. But Have you ever played with anyone else? I tend to believe that by playing with other people wtih a set goal makes you better. Just like basketball. Haha.

you play your best when you play with better people.
u could work on a technique like sweep picking or something legato maybe

seriously though 4 years and u didnt learn the scales?

did you at least learn to improv
" i saw these 2 girls kiss and i i got all horny and stuff"
Quote by IronBird Thor
u could work on a technique like sweep picking or something legato maybe

seriously though 4 years and u didnt learn the scales?

did you at least learn to improv

I never took lessons, and just learned off tabs and stuff, but yes i did learn to improv, where could i find some good sites for sweep picking and legato
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
I've been playing 9 months and at this point I'm faster and more accurate than some peers who have 3+ years experience on me. Of course, I'm influenced by Vai/Satch/Gilbert and stuff and they listen to classic rock, but still.

As it is, get a metronome and do basic exercises until you have great technique, then get some speed. Start branching out w/ your musical tastes. Get into some innovative players like the aforementioned Vai/Satch/Gilbert and start coming up with your own licks.

As a good friend of mine one said, who is also the best guitarist I personally know, you can't become great by playing other people's ****. Make up some ridiculous licks and learn them. You just have to keep pushing yourself.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by Maggot3000
I never took lessons, and just learned off tabs and stuff, but yes i did learn to improv, where could i find some good sites for sweep picking and legato

Youtube Youtube Youtube!

Or google it, it is as easy as that!
As I've been harping on everywhere else like some sort of apostle. Learn all your scales, and by "learn your scales" I just don't mean "learn those 6 forms that go root to root." I mean pick a scale, and figure out how to play it when starting at any point on the low E or A strings. Do this enough, and you'll find you know the neck so much better, which instantly makes soloing easier.

That and also learn to read music so you can get some "legit intelligent musician" cred.
Quote by Maggot3000

lol ultimate guitar has loads of lessons on the main page. use those. also im sure there is something about it on these forums.

as a last resort, use youtube. i personally don't like all those lessons cause most of those people are complete idiots.

have fun
Quote by Maggot3000
So ive been playing guitar for 4 years now, and ive always just learned songs that i like and ocassionally write some of my own stuff. I really want to take my playing to another level and learn lots of advanced techniques such. Im starting to work on learning theory as well. Could anyone recommend some techniques and such for me to learn. Also where i could get some stuff on learning these techniques. I'm already working on learning scales and such.

How's you're legato technique and string skipping? These are good for strength building and developing speed.
Ok, i found a good site for learning theory, does anyone know of possibly a good book on it?, so i can take it with me and read it in my spare time?
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
You dont have to learn scales to be good. Angus Young didnt know scales.
Quote by djgbsbj
You dont have to learn scales to be good. Angus Young didnt know scales.

Yes and his solos were/are predictable and purely pentatonic based.

There is not a musician in the world who would not benefit from knowing theory.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.