Page 1 of 6
Alright, so, I recently came home from college (done for the summer). Two or three times since I've been back, I've gone downstairs from my room to the kitchen after my mom is asleep and smelled pot. I knew I was either crazy, or my brother was in the basement smoking. I just ignored it the first couple times, but I decided to look around today. I found a bong and some weed hidden in a cabinet in the basement. Should I tell my parents or just leave him to it?

To people telling me that I shouldn't snoop around my brother's things- the basement is a common area where we have our TV and a computer.

To people telling me to take the pot- I don't smoke and don't really want to.
Leave him to it unless you got suspicions he's gonna hit/is hitting harder.

As cliche as it sounds, it's not the worse thing ever (don't get me wrong, I know it's bad, I've seen the worst cases of usage of it). If you're worried, talk to him brother to brother.
if the mother finds out that he had been doing it for a really long time, it'll be worse.
Quote by gibsonpenguin

To people telling me to take the pot- I don't smoke and don't really want to.

don't smoke it, sell it
It could be worse just tell him that you know about it and to be careful. It's not that bad
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy
Ever stuck their finger in their ass, just to see what it was like? I did

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
Tell your mother? Are you serious man? Its just dope, got a problem, talk to your brother, don't snitch like a baby. How can you even think about it?
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
I'd say leave him alone. I don't really see why you'd narc on him, except to get him in trouble which is kind of a dick move in my opinion.
Peepee on yo tittays
Don't rat your goddamn brother out, that won't solve anything.

Honestly, it's probably not a major problem. If you absolutely must, mention it to him, not your mom.
Well, one of the reasons I'm bothered by it is that my mom caught him with a bunch of stuff (home made bongs and pipes and crap) a few years ago and he promised to quit.

And I realize pot isn't the worst thing ever, I have a lot of friends who are potheads, but I don't know. It still concerns me for some reason.

PenguinEdit: Yes, I realize that it's kind of a dick move to tell my parents. Yes, I realize that sounds immature. However, I see no reason why I should be related to this, should he get caught. He has also been in trouble with the law recently (concerning other things). He's 17 and has been arrested 3 times.
Last edited by gibsonpenguin at May 12, 2008,
Don't be a dick about it. Confront him and tell him that you're concerned, but don't force him to stop. Unless he's completely ruining his life smoking, don't get involved.
Peace.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
Well, one of the reasons I'm bothered by it is that my mom caught him with a bunch of stuff (home made bongs and pipes and crap) a few years ago and he promised to quit.

And I realize pot isn't the worst thing ever, I have a lot of friends who are potheads, but I don't know. It still concerns me for some reason.

Then talk to him.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Quote by Rabid
just because he smokes doesnt make him a pothead, is he a total burnout who does nothing but smoke? no? then he is NOT a pothead, just a casual smoker, and there aint no harm in that
Quote by gibsonpenguin

I wouldn't be too worried. If he gets into harder drugs, that would be a situation where it makes more sense to tell your mom. Smoking dope isn't going to kill him and telling your mom will, as previously said, do little else than get him in trouble which is a lame thing to do.
I think you should talk to him.

Just make sure that he is not completely out of control.
Oh and smoking pot is not THAT bad.
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
Now, I know that you may think that pot is really really bad, and yes, it is to certain extents. All people who claim that pot isn't bad in any way shape or form are idiots, but so are those who claim it causes cancer and such and such. If it eases your fears about your brother's health, read this website: www.abovetheignorance.org
It does a good job of debunking the anti pot myths.

Leave your brother alone, tell him that you know he smokes, tell him how you feel about it, but remember; it's his life, not yours.
Chill and talk to him.

At least it ain't meth.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
if you are looking out for him like a good brother should, you would tell your parents. he may need some decent parenting. of course, i dont know the people involved. he might flip out and go awall if they confront him. but if hes been arrested three times hes probably doing a crappy job at life anyway, no thanks to your parents. even so, i would tell my parents if i was you.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Leave it.

Pot isn't the "devil drug" you've heard about on the news and in propaganda. Unless he's really going overboard with it and skipping school, selling his stuff to buy it, etc., you should never rat someone out for pot.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Seriously if he's over 18 let him do what he wants. If not you make him stop under your mother's wish. It may be harmless but it's still illegal. I don't see how you couldn't stop even when your own mother asks you!
Quote by Stoner0405
Let him chief, it's not the end of the world, nor is it your business.

Yeah, and what happens if the OP lets him continue and he's arrested/lands jail time or injures himself whilst high? It'll look bad on his part if he lets this happen.

Saying thatl, going off your username, you're the last person who should be giving advice...
What if she finds it and thinks it's yours?

Screw it, tell her. It's illegal and bad for him.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Yeah, and what happens if the OP lets him continue and he's arrested/lands jail time or injures himself whilst high? It'll look bad on his part if he lets this happen.

Saying thatl, going off your username, you're the last person who should be giving advice...

This is exactly what I'm talking about. I'ts harmless but it ruins you chances of succeding in life based on the laws that surround cannabis.
don't listen to ppl that say weed isnt harmful. those ppl know nothing, they just say that becuz they do it too and don't want to feel bad...idiots...anyway, 17 and 3 times by the cop?...telling your mom won't do anything. Good luck.
I never said I thought pot was the worst thing in the world. I just said that I'm concerned for him.

The reason I'm worried about is because (I AM NOT ATTEMPTING TO GENERALIZE TO EVERYBODY WHO SMOKES POT) the people that I know who smoke regularly are, to be blunt and rather harsh, failures. They do not do well in school, have trouble applying themselves to anything remotely challenging, and have no goals or desire to achieve anything.

I have seen things like this coming from my brother because he does not really apply himself in school and doesn't really have any goals or plans as far as his future are concerned. I realize that not everybody has these, but it still bothers me.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
I never said I thought pot was the worst thing in the world. I just said that I'm concerned for him.

The reason I'm worried about is because (I AM NOT ATTEMPTING TO GENERALIZE TO EVERYBODY WHO SMOKES POT) the people that I know who smoke regularly are, to be blunt and rather harsh, failures. They do not do well in school, have trouble applying themselves to anything remotely challenging, and have no goals or desire to achieve anything.

I have seen things like this coming from my brother because he does not really apply himself in school and doesn't really have any goals or plans as far as his future are concerned. I realize that not everybody has these, but it still bothers me.

HOW OLD IS HE?!!!!
I would tell my parents if my brothers were smoking. That's only because my parents would have more of an influence on him than me. If you think you could persuade him more, you should talk to him.

He's already been doing it for 3 years like you said, and he hasn't quit. You want him to stop before it gets serious.
TRANSFORMICE

Quote by gibsonpenguin

Talk to him + Don't be so judgemental

Its not your life, if he wants to **** up his life let him, controlling people, especially family, thats terrible.

What he's doing, thats just having fun.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Quote by Rabid
Quote by metaldud536
This is exactly what I'm talking about. I'ts harmless but it ruins you chances of succeding in life based on the laws that surround cannabis.

Even if he's never caught, the risk of mental illness is very high. The last thing anyone wants is schizophrenia or paranoid attacks.
Quote by gibsonpenguin

PenguinEdit: Yes, I realize that it's kind of a dick move to tell my parents. Yes, I realize that sounds immature. However, I see no reason why I should be related to this, should he get caught. He has also been in trouble with the law recently (concerning other things). He's 17 and has been arrested 3 times.

talk to him about it.
I'm going to back up HOW OLD IS HE!? It matters.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Even if he's never caught, the risk of mental illness is very high. The last thing anyone wants is schizophrenia or paranoid attacks.

Any chance of you posting linkage to reliable proof?
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Quote by Rabid
Sorry, I said earlier in the thread that he is 17.

I'm not saying he's a terrible person, and I'm not saying he's a failure, I'm just trying to look out for him, because I'm afraid that at this rate he will turn into one. Eg. If he has trouble maintaining good grades with my mother looking over his shoulder every step of the way in high school, how is he going to do well in college when he's completely on his own?
Quote by gibsonpenguin
Sorry, I said earlier in the thread that he is 17.

Talk to him about it.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.