my current gear is a crate combo not sure the model but i believe its the 100watts with the worst reviews. its heavy and not loud enough to match my drummer and guitarrist. even though i use a sonic maximiser. i play a schecter c-4 and once in a while use the boss dod distortion. my question is . i've been looking at some cabs in craigslist and some halfstacks in websites. i see cabs in craisgslist from 75 to 300 but i dont know what head to get also i have read in the forums that is better to pick from different brands the head and the cab and not to buy whole stacks like the ones from carvin. i am looking for a metal tone sort of like alex websters tone. and how much money would i need for a decent half stack???
Depends how you define decent. Also, how much power you need. A good place to start would be to look at Alex Webster's equipment, and then find what sort of tone that gives, and how the amp workd (tube, MOSFET, SS etc) and then looking at amps with thoses characteristics.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
i need to match my guitarist and he has i think his halfstack is 100 watts so taht means i would need 300 watts at least right?
Firstly, start looking at heads. They are what really define your tone. I find cabs just change how that tone is then voiced.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
^Definitely, heads first, cabs second. For the different brands things, yeah it's more versatile, but only if you know EXACTLY what you want. There's nothing bad about buying from all one company at all.
i really like the tone from the peavey's amps since i have used them before but i dont know if their heads are the same quality for heads i was looking at carvin or hartke and for cab i am looking at peavey and hartke also. most persons say to go straight for a cab and head and forget about the combos. for the option of expanding later on. but since i have a combo right now i would like to first get a cab that i can plug to the crate until i have enough for the head.
would this head Gallien-Krueger Backline 600 Bass Head and this cab Peavey TVX 115 EX 1X15 Bass Speaker Cabinet be any good?
GK Backline gear does not get much positive press at all, especially compared to their top end gear.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
what if i get a cab that i can plug to my current combo and then i get the head since i need more power asap and i can get the whole thing yet
that would work ok. and btw i can vouch somewhat for peavey quality in heads. i bought the vb-2 since i like the tube tone and i think it's absolutely amazing. peavey is known all around for good craftsmanship.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
yeah i have used peavey's amps and really liked them although for cabs i am looking at marshalls although expensive i migh go for one of those