Hey y'all
I bought a really bad guitar off eBay a while ago just because of the look, it was a Les Paul style with a Union Jack paintjob.
now i'm thinking about doing it up, new pups, new strings, gibson neck, but its got a glued on neck. what's the best way to get the neck off the body? hopefully without breaking off any part of the body.
thanks in advance
Rockin' shit
I'm no expert on these sorts of things, but I believe it's a far harder, riskier and more delicate process to remove a set-in neck than a bolt on one, and one that isn't usually attempted (for good reason) unless there are major issues with the existing neck. What's wrong with the current neck?

If you did decided to attempt it, I believe it involves heating the neck joint and using a glue solvent, and carefully tapping/pulling the neck out of the pocket.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Well, obviously, as Missingno476 said, you would be better off NOT removing the neck at all. Unless you want to take it to a tech. (An experienced one at that)

Besides, if th neck is painted, it would look better if you left it there.
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

Quote by Missingno476

If you did decided to attempt it, I believe it involves heating the neck joint and using a glue solvent, and carefully tapping/pulling the neck out of the pocket.

This is exactly right, and sometimes it's pretty hard to get them out without damaging anything. When it comes time to set the neck back it has to angled perfectly before glueing. If the neck is straight and undamaged it would be better to refinish without removing the neck.
Uh oh. This guy wants to murder his guitar... Quick! post as much as you can to prevent the death of this guitar with a cool paint job! (Use it as eye candy on the wall)
You inject steam into the neck joint to soften the glue and its still alot of work to remove one. And a new gibson set neck wont be cheap try really expensive to put in it. If it will fit as its going to be made to different specs than a knock off guitar will. Replacing the neck is going to far exceed any value the guitar has. If you cant sand the fret board new frets to fix what ever is wrong with the neck then leave it alone.
alright thanks all, i shall make sure i don't do it myself :P

there's no problem with the neck except the fact that it doesn't say "Gibson" on it, it says "Ferris" :P

cheers x
Rockin' shit
Uhm..... get a Gibson logo and put it on the headstock?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores