im considering doing a 7 string build soon, and seeing as i already have one with a low B, i thought id do something different and give it a high A instead

naturally, this throws up problems, can i actually get thin enough strings that wont break easily anywhere?
or are they just pushing it and overly prone to snapping?
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by chimpinatux
im considering doing a 7 string build soon, and seeing as i already have one with a low B, i thought id do something different and give it a high A instead

naturally, this throws up problems, can i actually get thin enough strings that wont break easily anywhere?
or are they just pushing it and overly prone to snapping?

yes.
to both, really.

Just use the high string from a set of 9s...

Steve Vai, whom we can all thank for the 7 string to begin with originally set his up with an extra high string as well...

The drop tuning of 7 strings came afterwards...
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
I think putting on about .10's and maybe using an .08 as a high A would be ok. Maybe one of the octave strings in a 12-string pack of .09s would work. Idk the gauge, tho.
Quote by Reildeal
Just use the high string from a set of 9s...

Steve Vai, whom we can all thank for the 7 string to begin with originally set his up with an extra high string as well...

The drop tuning of 7 strings came afterwards...

well, actually the russian's had 7 string guitars long before steve vai was born.
just not electric 7 strings.
Quote by qotsa1998
I think putting on about .10's and maybe using an .08 as a high A would be ok. Maybe one of the octave strings in a 12-string pack of .09s would work. Idk the gauge, tho.

The only problem with using a string from a 12 string setup is that not all the strings on a 12 string are tuned to octaves.... The high E's and B's are tuned in unison
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by toshiro umezewa
well, actually the russian's had 7 string guitars long before steve vai was born.

I meant solid body electrics

Vai and Lynch were experimenting with them at the same time, however the 1st production models were originally because of Vai..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by toshiro umezewa

indeed, and there were jazz players too

one thing that prompted my questioning of this is i heard vai didnt go ahead with a high A because of 'technical problems' which im assuming is the snappingness

perhaps seeing as theres a gap of '2' between a regular 9e and 11b, maybe a 7 would be suitable? but are they easy to get hold of
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.