So, I wanted to get a drum set, but I wanted to know what a good starter set would be. I was looking at ones that came with cymbals, but would it be better to buy cymbals separately?

Anyone have any recommendations?
nah, for a beginner the cymbals that come with the kit are enough. I'd suggest a cheaper Sonor or Mapex kit, they rock
buy the cymbals that come with the kit. Then if you get better/ want to take this more seriously, buy different cymbals (like if you don't have a China, by a China). Eventually then you start upgrading your cymbals once you have all the types you want.
Quote by Mask_Of_Sanity
buy the cymbals that come with the kit. Then if you get better/ want to take this more seriously, buy different cymbals (like if you don't have a China, by a China). Eventually then you start upgrading your cymbals once you have all the types you want.

+1, but for a beginner, 1 crash and a ride is enough. learn to crawl before you rock!

EDIT: something that is definately worth an investment is a pair of sound impairing headphones and a metronome with a headphone input. that **** is necessary
Quote by CoreysMonster
+1, but for a beginner, 1 crash and a ride is enough. learn to crawl before you rock!

I know. That's why I said a China, because I know the basic kits come with a crash and a ride.
Quote by Mask_Of_Sanity
I know. That's why I said a China, because I know the basic kits come with a crash and a ride.

I know it, you know it, I just didn't know if the TS knows it
Quote by CoreysMonster
I know it, you know it, I just didn't know if the TS knows it

Touche', Mufasa killer.
Quote by clay pots

Dude, that would be perfect! Doesn't come with cymbals and hardware though.

Anyone care to tell me what cymbals and hardware I need?

Btw, I'm not a complete noob when it comes to drums. I play my friend's kit when I go to his house, and I'm quite good at making Guitar Pro beats.

Oh, and thanks for the help so far.
Quote by ele1122
Ok, that was what I was originally looking at. I didn't realize all that stuff cost so much, and my parents don't wanna spend too much for my birthday.

well, drums are a pretty expensive instrument. I'm sure you could get some kid-kit for less, but it's really gonna sound like crap.
Quote by CoreysMonster
well, drums are a pretty expensive instrument. I'm sure you could get some kid-kit for less, but it's really gonna sound like crap.

Yeah, I guess so. It doesn't really need to sound great, but ya know. The Pulse looks like the best one.