It's amazing how many people appear to have half stacks. I browse youtube a lot listening to different amps and almost all of them are half stacks...BUT their only being used at lower volumes.

Why is it necessary to have all of that power when you don't crank it? Does it still sound better than a lower wattage combo?

I also see a lot of combo amps that copy other amps. It seems that every amp is copying another...even the Peavey 6505 says it trys to capture aka copy the sound of the 6505 halfstack into the combo...well that's essentially the same thing that Bugera did...

Opinions?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Quote by thriller4life
It's amazing how many people appear to have half stacks. I browse youtube a lot listening to different amps and almost all of them are half stacks...BUT their only being used at lower volumes.

Why is it necessary to have all of that power when you don't crank it? Does it still sound better than a lower wattage combo?

I also see a lot of combo amps that copy other amps. It seems that every amp is copying another...even the Peavey 6505 says it trys to capture aka copy the sound of the 6505 halfstack into the combo...well that's essentially the same thing that Bugera did...

Opinions?

Half-stacks = louder and more headroom, that's all. Mind you, a 2x12 combo and 2x12 cab won't sound much different.
A lot of people have stacks because either:

a) The amp they have isn't available in combo form.

b) The amp they have is available in combo form, but they want the added versatility of being able to change out cabs.

c) They have the money to spend on a stack.

d) They think it makes them look cool.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I play a half stack because I am able to crank it to optimal volume.

It works best for me.

I don't use a cab(s) because everyone else does.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
It's a lot of fun to play them cranked, but if I can't cause of close quarters or whatever reasons, then I'm fine with my 15 watt Kustom. I crank that little beast and it does the job fine.
Im gonna say alot of ppl have em b/c they have the money, and it looks cool. But most of the time, you dont need that much power or volume in a bedroom amp. And seeing as most half-stacks are 50w or more, its definately overkill. But they look cool, and that seems to be the most important thing for some ppl.
Easy question to answer..

1)Hate open back combos.
2)Get more bass response and palm mutes really fill out.
3)I have two heads i need to put on something.
4)I can run my halfstack in stereo which i do, so its like having two combos.

So why would i want a bunch of combos with god knows what speakers that i would have to switch out anyway when i can have one good halfstack with good speakers and mix and match stuff when ever i please.
I don't use my cab(s) in my bedroom. They sit side by side under a blanket [to keep dust off and to prevent being damaged].

I play through a rack preamp and headphones in my room.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Well, there are a lot of combos that have speaker outs that can be connected to cabinets if desired...

Also, who's to say that you can't swap speakers in a combo?
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
Well, there are a lot of combos that have speaker outs that can be connected to cabinets if desired...

Also, who's to say that you can't swap speakers in a combo?

True, but then what's the point? Unless I got a really good deal on a combo, I would just buy a head if I already had a cab or planned on hooking it up to one. Most combo's speakers turn off when you plug them into a cab anyway, so it's not like you're gaining anything extra speakers. Not to mention most combos cost more than the head.

And changing speakers in a combo is a waste because if you ever decide to sell it, you'll barely get anymore than what it sells for with stock speakers, if you even get more, or you'll have to go through the hassle of taking them out and putting the old ones back in.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Most combo's speakers turn off when you plug them into a cab anyway, so it's not like you're gaining anything extra speakers. QUOTE]

Sure you are... You plug it into a 4x12 cab and you have 2 extra speakers..... Even if the amps speakers cut off...

Also, Combos provide the convenience of only transporting 1 item unless you're just taking your head to another cabinet...

Swapping speakers isn't a hassle...

I'm not knocking stacks, just saying that combo amps are just as effective as stacks these days as they provide all the versatility of stacks and still the ease of a combo unit...
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by MatrixClaw
True, but then what's the point? Unless I got a really good deal on a combo, I would just buy a head if I already had a cab or planned on hooking it up to one. Most combo's speakers turn off when you plug them into a cab anyway, so it's not like you're gaining anything extra speakers. Not to mention most combos cost more than the head.

And changing speakers in a combo is a waste because if you ever decide to sell it, you'll barely get anymore than what it sells for with stock speakers, if you even get more, or you'll have to go through the hassle of taking them out and putting the old ones back in.

You make really good arguments, are you a salesmen? Cause for a second there I felt like selling my combos and buying a half stack...
Quote by Reildeal
Sure you are... You plug it into a 4x12 cab and you have 2 extra speakers..... Even if the amps speakers cut off...

Also, Combos provide the convenience of only transporting 1 item unless you're just taking your head to another cabinet...

Swapping speakers isn't a hassle...

I'm not knocking stacks, just saying that combo amps are just as effective as stacks these days as they provide all the versatility of stacks and still the ease of a combo unit...

Yes, but plugging it into a 4x12 isn't going to give you a 6x12 is what I'm saying. The speakers are pretty much useless if you're going to run it through a cab.

Combos might be one piece but I for one would rather carry around a head and 2x12. Combos are usually big, bulky and weigh a lot.

And I'm not knocking down combos either, I actually advise people get them most of the time, but if you plan on running it through a cab all the time, there's no point to owning one if it's available in head form imo.

Quote by i bleed metal
You make really good arguments, are you a salesmen? Cause for a second there I felt like selling my combos and buying a half stack...

Nah, but I was thinking about applying at Guitar Center so they at least have one person there that knows wtf they're talking about
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'm amazed at how many people in this forum say you don't need a half-stack, yet they have one themselves.
Quote by MatrixClaw
A lot of people have stacks because either:

a) The amp they have isn't available in combo form.

b) The amp they have is available in combo form, but they want the added versatility of being able to change out cabs.

c) They have the money to spend on a stack.

d) They think it makes them look cool.

I have my halfstack because of B.
Versatility is key in my music.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by colin617
I'm amazed at how many people in this forum say you don't need a half-stack, yet they have one themselves.

My point exactly!
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Quote by colin617

Yes, but you also have to consider that most of the people that have one had a bigger budget than those that want one. Either that or they have an MG
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Half stacks look freaking awesome. If you don't think so, you are obviously kidding yourself. I'm not going to judge anyone if they have a half for bedroom practicing. It may be a bit foolish but hey, if you have the money go for it. I'd rather someone spend more money on the half than waste the savings of the combo on drugs or trash like that.
Quote by colin617

Well, I guess that phrase isn't always true, since some amps aren't in Combo form.

I.E. Marshall Superleads. I have yet to see a Superlead combo. Unless I missed something?
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
I like the ability to easily work on my amp head (change tubes, etc.) in more than cramped quarters of a combo. Also the actual footprint of a half stack is not much more than a 2x12 combo. My cab has casters and I can easily move it around. Some folks seem to make a half stack sound like a friggin tank! It's not that big, folks! In fact an avatar 2x12 has a larger footprint by 2" than the 4x12...the 4x12 is only 8" higher.

Avatar G212 Contemporary Custom 31"W x 21"H x 15"D

Avatar G412 Contemporary Custom 29"W x 29"H x 14"D

Don't keep thinking about it...and just get a half stack!
Quote by MatrixClaw
Nah, but I was thinking about applying at Guitar Center so they at least have one person there that knows wtf they're talking about

psh that's dumb, that's 1 too many.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
A lot of the high end stuff is meant for live performances and comes in high powered half stack form. I recently sold my combo and am going to buy a half stack. Not because I like half stacks better, but because that is the only form that particular amp takes.