Apologies if this has been asked before- "play with CD" brings up an awful lot in the search engine!

I was wondering if anyone had tried the "Play guitar with" series of tab books and backing track CD's. They tend to be about £15 and you get about 6 tracks tabbed out in a book, and some backing tracks. They look like this:

link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CREAM-PLAY-GUITAR-WITH-Tab-Guitar-Music-Book-CD_W0QQitemZ110083951647QQihZ001QQcategoryZ31211QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

So- has anyone on here tried them, and are they any good?

TIA
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
^ i recommend just learning a song and playing along to the full recording of it. i've never seen a problem with that, especially since its cheaper than doing the "play along with..." stuff.

hell turn on the radio, pick a station and improv over whatevers playing when you turn it on.
Quote by z4twenny
^ i recommend just learning a song and playing along to the full recording of it. i've never seen a problem with that, especially since its cheaper than doing the "play along with..." stuff.

+1

plus, that way you can hear the original artist, so you can match their timing /feel.
Cheers for the replys.

I understand what you mean, and it is always nice when you fluff a note and hear it anyway but I fancy trying a backing track with just me playing the guitar to check how I'm progressing, if that makes any sense?

I was just wondering what sort of quality the backing tracks are.

U-G nooB

I'll tell you what Dan, you can have my "Play guitar with the Stone Roses" and see what you think.

Personally, i didn't really get anything more than i would have got from tabs on this site... also, these books very rarely notate the best/correct way to play the songs.

In fairness, the book i mention has some good tabs of the solos from Made of Stone and I am the Resurrection that are very difficult to find elsewhere..... but i think rather than learn it note for note, just try to use the same scales with the backing track and see where you get.
Cheers Branny- consider it borrowed

I'll lend you my strat in return

U-G nooB