I went to the guitar store to buy a new guitar and after playing many i decided to go with the LP ultra. After bringing it home and reading on the net most people say they are not for hard rock or metal which i do like to play. So should i bring it back and get the cheaper LP standard? Need some suggestions
Do you like the guitar? Yes or No?
Does it sound good to you when you play hard rock or metal? Yes or No?

Don't bring a guitar back because you saw a couple 12 year olds on a guitar site say: "it suxx ACDC 4ever!!!"

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
I'd get the Ultra.

I think Nancy Wilson of Heart uses one she's set up with a Bigsby all the time live.
It's fine for hard rock/metal. If anything, it's better because of the lower weight. It just doesn't have the amount of definition a normal LP does. The tone is still very defined however. I have played one.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
okay cause some things i have read say they are more for blues and stuff
dont worry about it.

what amp are you using?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by tomsy49
okay cause some things i have read say they are more for blues and stuff

Try it for yourself. If it flat out can't do metal take it back. I doubt that though.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
the necks on those guitars are amazing.

if you got a good one, I would keep it.
SRV R.I.P.
im not exactly familiar with the Epi Ultra, but i have the Epi LP Custom and it works great for the metal/hard rock i play: the devil wears prada, maylene, a day to remember, etc.

just have to find the right tone, then again..i use a flextone soi i have a huge choice haha

but yeah its a winner..im thinking of getting hellraiser just because its better suited for the heavier stuff i play, but no doubt, the epi lp will deliver

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
i've just read that the partially hollowed out body takes away from the crunch
yeah a little, so again, what amp do you use?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

With a Cube 30 you should have no trouble finding metal tones with almost any guitar.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
yeah, it's a cube.
the effects of that amp are going to over power any subtle tone nuances offered by a chambered guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by tomsy49
I went to the guitar store to buy a new guitar and after playing many i decided to go with the LP ultra. After bringing it home and reading on the net most people say they are not for hard rock or metal which i do like to play. So should i bring it back and get the cheaper LP standard? Need some suggestions

it has humbuckers no? Even if it doesnt (like that junior model, not sure what an ultra looks like) lower the pickup as far as possible, i get an awesome metal tone with my Ibanez like that.
all lowering the pickup will do, is lower the volume of that pickup.

if you raise the pickup, typically, the pup will gain more bite.

too close and it'll get muddy.

higher on the bass side for more bass and so on.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

if you want a lighter weight guitar. with those particular features, then yes.

if you could care less, then perhaps you should save your money.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62