do you think i can learn a lot of music theroy and advanced techniques by myself or do you think i need a teacher for that kind of stuff. thanks in advance for your posts
Depends, either way would work but it's up to you. I'm primarily self-taught in terms of theory and technique; I have a teacher for jazz but that's it. Maybe try a teacher out; if it's not for you, try learning on your own.
first learn to spell it
and then find someone to teach it to you
i dont know about you, but i cant focus on it long enough if i'm learning it by myself. that's why i have yet to learn much theory
Quote by kevin14u2nv
heck yeah its gonna be heavy its gonna be in Drop A tuning and the opening line of the CD will be like Worship god

and then the pope just does a freakin brutal breakdown
Quote by LD_Luke D
do you think i can learn a lot of music theroy and advanced techniques by myself or do you think i need a teacher for that kind of stuff. thanks in advance for your posts

get a teacher if at all possible.
well i learned everything by myself and i think im pretty darn good at theory and my technique is good
I believe it will depend on if you really want to learn it. If you can focus on reading a book about theory stuff and advanced harmonic structures, by all means do it yourself. If you can't and you need someone to push you.. get a teacher. I took a class for most of the beginning theory (intervals, building chords up to 7ths, inversions, etc.) but learned advanced harmony theory on my own. Depends what kind of person you are.
Nor less I deem that there are Powers
Which of themselves our minds impress;
That we can feed this mind of ours
In a wise passiveness.
--Wordsworth

last.fm
You can learn theory from a book (or the UG), but for style and technique, someone should be there to guide you in person. If you have the free time and disposable income, I would encourage starting with a teacher.
THEROY JENKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNSSSS!!!

Seriously, get a teacher.
Well some of the stuff is kinda easy. Just ask in here I guess
I plan on learning by myself eventually, give it a go before you waste even more money on a class.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
The best tool that I have found for learning theory on your own is Vyvanse. If you can't get a hold of those, try Adderall. Joking aside, however, yes... You can definitely learn fine points of theory by yourself, but if you have the time and can afford it, I'd highly suggest getting a teacher. Some of the theory lessons I'm looking at have taken me a week, sometimes two, to fully grasp, where as a teacher can cover it in a lesson and make it stick. It really just depends on you. I'm more of a hands on person and watching someone present the ideas of theory on a guitar helps me much more than just reading text and trying to create chords/scales/whatever it may be myself.
I'm self taught in theory, but do to bad math skills (really bad), I'm slightly off at times by minute mistakes. Whenever i come to something that i need taught to me by another person, then i go for a single lesson on that particular subject. Luckily, living in Maine, Bill Pierce (instructor to Cory from Trivium) lives 30min away. Either way if you take lessons you risk sounding like every other virtuoso (if you get that far), but at least you'll be good. And if your self taught you risk possibly sucking, but if not, then little qurcks that you picked up through having to teach yourself everything could give you an original style.