I'm trying to learn it so I'm gonna translate some tabs to staff. However, how do I know which octave in the staff I'm on? Since E on the 2nd string isn't the same as E on the 4th string.

Regards
Richard
For guitar you're pretty much going to be in the 'G' or Treble clef. The low E (bottom string open) will be the under three ledger lines under the staff and the high E (top open string) will be the top space of the staff.

O

The 'o's represent the Low E and High E strings on the guitar. The rest should be explanetory from there.
Thanks. Good to know I should focus on the G. Hmm, since I have 3 octaves on the guitar then I should just add the highest E on the top (like you did on the bottom with the lowest E), right?

However, it didn't completely answer the question. The question was (if I expressed myself badly above) how do I know what octave the "G" (treble clef) is on?

Say I wanted to transcribe a piano song to guitar tabs and I'm DEF (can't hear). How do I know which C it is on the guitar when I see a C in the note sheet?
To translate treble clef to piano: the treble clef 'G' is the 'G' above middle 'C' on a piano. Middle 'C' on piano is on the 1st ledger line below the staff (treble clef); middle 'C' on guitar is the 'A' string 3rd fret.

The highest 'E' (top 'E' string 12th fret) will be on the third ledger line above the staff not above it.

My music book says the octave (on a piano) that contains the middle 'C' is c1, if that helps.

Hope this is clearer than mud.
Gibson ES335
Ibanez RG370DXGP
Ibanez SA Series
Fender Acoustic
Marshall JCM800 1-12 split channel
Last edited by zoomy74 at May 13, 2008,
Ok.
This is all in treble clef and this, O, signifies above the line and this, o, signifies on the line.

This note (it's above the line) is the high E string.

(This is a place setting)))))))))))O
These are the rest of the open string, the top one being B and working downwards.

This (on the line) is middle C on the piano which should allow you to work out the rest of the notes.

If you don't know the notes of the treble clef, learn them.

12345abcd3
Last edited by 12345abcd3 at May 13, 2008,
For Reference notes of the treble clef:

Spaces
___
___E
___C
___A
___F

Lines
----F
----D
----B
----G
----E
Gibson ES335
Ibanez RG370DXGP
Ibanez SA Series
Fender Acoustic
Last edited by zoomy74 at May 13, 2008,
Remember that guitar music sounds an octave lower than written. If you actually check it on the piano, the open high E string is actually the E just above middle C. That could become confusing if you're trying to match pitch on a piano with piano music.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at May 13, 2008,
On an 88 key piano the bottom open 'E' on a guitar will correspond to the 'E' below middle 'C'. Keyboards typically don't have all the octaves of a full piano.
Gibson ES335
Ibanez RG370DXGP
Ibanez SA Series
Fender Acoustic