So I got Daydream Nation as an introduction to Sonic Youth, which seemed like a reasonable decision according to every music critic out there, cos I'm all into MBV, JAMC, VU, James Chance and whatnot.

Well I was pretty bored. I didn't like Daydream Nation very much. I was hoping for something more "out there", musically. To me, most of DN just sounded like sub-par post-punk, but louder.

I know Sonic Youth probably made some music that I'd like, but where should I look? I mean, I would like to hear something preposterously dissonant, something that could possibly kill small rodents.
i am member no. 3 of the 'coheed and cambria fan club' interested? pm CoheedANDnofx6.

"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it"
-Mitch Hedberg
Quote by That-Funny-Guy
superstar

eh..
My Last.Fm

Gear:
1994 MIJ Fender Jaguar
Vox V847-A Wah
ProCo Rat
EHX Small Clone
Epiphone Valve Junior
Quote by starsnostars
seriously? he's asking for something that's the opposite of their carpenters cover. you guys need to expand your sonic youth discography beyond the juno soundtrack. either way, this conversation really belongs here.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392200

I don't know how enjoying a song of theirs that happens to be on the Juno soundtrack means that's the only song of theirs I listen to. I was simply stating that I like that song.

But here's a song off of one of their latest albums that's pretty good. Listen to Sister too.

Pattern Recognition
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Superstar is not at all what the TS was looking for, that is what Matthew was trying to say.

i would suggest checking out Sister or maybe some of the SYR series, those could end up being right up your alley if you like long and sometimes noisy instrumentals.
Quote by bradulator
I don't know how enjoying a song of theirs that happens to be on the Juno soundtrack means that's the only song of theirs I listen to. I was simply stating that I like that song.

But here's a song off of one of their latest albums that's pretty good. Listen to Sister too.

Pattern Recognition

because it doesn't help the guy out with what he's looking for. if you're just wanting to discuss your favorite sonic youth song, i think there's a thread around here for that. now if only i could find a link.

edit- joe's got the right idea.
Most of their stuff from 1983 to '86 is just littered with dissonance.
But check out NYC Ghosts & Flowers if you're looking for something 'out there'.
Quote by uhh_me?
i would suggest checking out Sister or maybe some of the SYR series

Yeah, got to agree with the SYR CDs. They're not entirely original material but it seems the most appropriate to recommend those in relation to what's being asked for.

Anyway, please take this to the SY thread
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic