Page 1 of 2
My xbox ripped up my GTA 4 . Is there anyway you can repair scratches on disks?
I heard toothpaste works. Smear it horizontally across the scratches and wipe it the opposite way.
When all else fails, ask the pit.
Normally video game retailers offer a service where you pay £5 or so for 3 scratched discs and they repair them for you. I know Game do it in the UK.
Quote by I-Watch-Anime
I heard toothpaste works. Smear it horizontally across the scratches and wipe it the opposite way.

or you could put it in the trash compactor, i hear that works too
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Quote by I-Watch-Anime

I heard that too. I suppose if the disk doesn't work you have nothing to lose...
I have one of those disk doctors. They are like 10 bucks and they really do work. Unless its like completely cracked.
“Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act.” - Leonard Cohen

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" - Confucius
I would seriously take it to the shop before you go putting toothpaste anywhere. And get your Xbox seen to!!
Quote by rigiddigits
Normally video game retailers offer a service where you pay £5 or so for 3 scratched discs and they repair them for you. I know Game do it in the UK.

Not if gets the evil ring on the disc, they won't.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
I know many Blockbuster's in Canada now offer a small service of disc repair service (takes out minor scratches, big gouges, there isn't any hope) for cheap, like 1.25 per disc, or some places, up to 3.00 per disc.
Considering it's GTA4, I'd say this is more of a blessing than a curse.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by PlayMadness

wtf mate?

You can get CD repair kits at places like Wal-Mart for like 3 bucks. Never used one, but I assume they work.
And I mean that in the best possible way.
Quote by SilenceIsGolden
wtf mate?

I played it for about 4 hours on Friday night, and can say with 100% certainty that I am not gay don't like it. I liked the other three "real" GTA games a lot more.

(If you don't get the "gay" reference, lurk more.)
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by misfitsdisciple

no, the toothpaste thing is serious o_o
gta 4 is amazing, best one yet imo.

as far as repairing goes, get a kit or take it to a retailer who offers teh service. heard about the toothpaste one aswell but never tried it.
if u liev in north america go to the source/radioshack they have disc repair kits
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Quote by I-Watch-Anime
no, the toothpaste thing is serious o_o

do you just wash it off afterwards and put it in and all of the scratches are gone?
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Quote by misfitsdisciple
do you just wash it off afterwards and put it in and all of the scratches are gone?

its does work actually, use an old tshirt or a really soft piece of cloth tho
you put it on then wipe it off with a damp cloth.

Its worked for me.
Toothpaste doesn't work that well. Brasso, on the other hand, does.

1. Apply brasso to cloth.
2. Cover scratches on disc with brasso.
3. Lightly wash.

It's worked mulitple times for me.
The.
This Brasso technique is one i have never heard of. I will try it next scratch my CD receives.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
Toothpaste doesn't work that well. Brasso, on the other hand, does.

1. Apply brasso to cloth.
2. Cover scratches on disc with brasso.
3. Lightly wash.

It's worked mulitple times for me.

Yes brasso does work , I've tried it and it worked when those cd cleaning kits and toothpaste failed

All hail Brasso!
Quote by misfitsdisciple

Wash it off with a wet dish towel/paper towel/towel, the scratches arent gone, but they're filled.
Quote by misfitsdisciple

It's actually a mixture of that and peanut butter
McLovin is my hero!

It's not the going that the pit cares about.
It's the coming.
Quote by PlayMadness
to the commoners still stuck with a PS2, me being one, GTA4 is a heavenly game.
Quote by rigiddigits
I would seriously take it to the shop before you go putting toothpaste anywhere. And get your Xbox replaced with a console that isn't more than 30% likely to mess up in some way.

Fix'd

Quote by PlayMadness

Truth.
I've been to hell and back with scratched discs. The best method is to take it to a shop with a disc repair machine and get it fixed, if you dont have that option, Use Rubbing alcohol and wipe down your disc with something clean (like a white sock). After about 3-4 tries, the disc should work.

If all fails, buy one of those disc doctor machines and try it on your disc. Be warned though, this device actually shaves off a thin layer of your cd, I have ruined 2-3 games using this, so this should be your absolute LAST resort.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you... - Abomino Aetas
ha blockbuster did the trick but they said my xbox is faulty because it cut 2 full circles on the disc..however i explained it fell on its side..is it faulty?
Use some scratch remover for cars like T-Cut to get the deep scratches out. Then finish it off with furniture polish.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
same thing happened to my gta disc as well as my cod 4 disc, i took mine back to retailer and they exchanged it for a new copy, they said it was a fault, when in reality it was me moving xbox when it was switched on. You should try that hopefully the employee wont be familiar with the common problem of xbox ripping disc when moved.

EDIT: your xbox aint faulty its a common problem with all xboxes that is caused by lack of a much needed buffer in the disc tray mechanism that prevents perfect circular gouges, the same two circles appeared on my COD disc.
MY gear
Vintage v100 les paul.
POS Ion strat
Vox ad50vt
15 watt practice amp
Ibanez rg570
i've used the tooth paste numerous times, try to get the plainest possible no brand toothpaste with no refreshing mint crystals or anything, just pure paste. and rub it hard for like 3 minutes putting circular pressure et voila!
yeah buddy pop on down to game, i work there. We have special repair machines that cost half a grand. They work on 90% of scratches, it grinds down the scratch making the laser able to read the data behind the scratch. unless hte scratch is soo deep it gets to the data film, then your fvcked!
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Quote by x0rsist
yeah buddy pop on down to game, i work there. We have special repair machines that cost half a grand. They work on 90% of scratches, it grinds down the scratch making the laser able to read the data behind the scratch. unless hte scratch is soo deep it gets to the data film, then your fvcked!

geek
Quote by TEK34
geek

or not...

just explaining how it works!
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Page 1 of 2