So I wanna try doing the song A Tout Le Monde but I don't know how to make my guitar switch from clean to distortion or vice versa while playing the whole song. I don't wanna have to stop and go change the amp in the middle of the song, I haven't been playing too long so I haven't figured this out yet and I always see people on you tube switch from clean to distortion or vice versa during a song.
Gear:
Dean VX
Ovation Celebrity CC44 Electric Acoustic
VOX DA5
You have a combo amp, every other amp is just an amp. They need pedals to get a rock/metal sound. Pedals are just footswitches that you can turn on and off and range from many different effects.

Some combo amps allow you to hook up a footswitch to switch from clean to distortion, but not a lot of them do.

If you want to still try the song, all you need to do is when you get to the clean part just turn your guitar down to ALMOST all the way. You'll still have the volume from the amp and you wont have any distortion. (Well, very little)
A pedal.

If u have a pedal u can put ur amp on clean and the pedal will be distortion so u can switch back and forth. If u get a muti effect pedal u can choose from a vaiety of sounds.
thats the best way to do it, since you get the nice clean of your amp plus the thickness of your pedal, i think using pedals is better than built in distortion n e ways
So I'd need to buy just an distortion pedal? Are any other pedals needed at all if I wanna do this?
Gear:
Dean VX
VOX DA5
I don't think pedals have much of an effect (No pun intended) on combo amps, but I could be wrong.
well if your gunna by pedals, you might wanna just go for the fulll gorup, distortion, chorus, phase, flange, maybe a tuner pedal. jsut get it all now and save your self the hassle of buying them later, but you have to try them out first (obviously) but try to try them out on an amp like the one you have, also i may sound noobish but since i dont have a tube/valve amp i like just puting my combo on lean and throwing pedals on top
Quote by Ze_Metal
I don't think pedals have much of an effect (No pun intended) on combo amps, but I could be wrong.

All I got is this small 5 watt Vox amp. Sounds more like 15 watts though.
Gear:
Dean VX
VOX DA5
Yeah, I hear it's a good amp. I wouldn't worry about about pedals and such until you get a little better at guitar and have just a plain Tube amp. Until then, a few seconds won't hurt you =].
You don't need a pedal. Have your amp on the distortion channel. Put your neck pickup volume on your guitar to something very low, like 2 or 3. You'll find that it is practically a clean sound, without a big loss in volume. When you want to switch over to distortion, flick your switch to the bridge pickup (which has the volume on 10) and you'll have distortion.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
If you ask me, pedals can make HUGE improvements on combo amps, it is an enhancement in general.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Since you're a bedroom player you can just hit the distortion setting on your amp. Don't need to spend money on pedals right now.
I don't know what this combo business is that most folks are talking about here. Most combos have foot switchable channel selection just like an amp head would. THe fact that you have a combo has nothing do do with it. Some amps (combo or head) have one channel and can't go from clean to overdriven with the push of a button, others have more than one and can. Some (cheap starter amps mostly) have more than one channel or a "boost" function but can't use a footswitch to use it. It sounds like that is your case.

Check to see if there is a foot switch plug anywhere on your amp, if not, you're out of luck for acessing the built in channel switching on your amp without physically pushing the button on the amp. If so, go buy a foot switch, they should run around $20 new online or at a local music shop. If not you will need an overdrive or distortion pedal (which provides its own dirty channel and has nothing to do with your amp) if you want to switch to a dirtier tone with a tap of your foot. You can start your quest for one of these by looking at the faq in the guitar gear and accessories forum.

Personally, I'd just play everything clean or dirty without switching until I could save up for a nice amp, and do away with the pedal altogether.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I don't know what this combo business is that most folks are talking about here. Most combos have foot switchable channel selection just like an amp head would. THe fact that you have a combo has nothing do do with it. Some amps (combo or head) have one channel and can't go from clean to overdriven with the push of a button, others have more than one and can. Some (cheap starter amps mostly) have more than one channel or a "boost" function but can't use a footswitch to use it. It sounds like that is your case.

Check to see if there is a foot switch plug anywhere on your amp, if not, you're out of luck for acessing the built in channel switching on your amp without physically pushing the button on the amp. If so, go buy a foot switch, they should run around $20 new online or at a local music shop. If not you will need an overdrive or distortion pedal (which provides its own dirty channel and has nothing to do with your amp) if you want to switch to a dirtier tone with a tap of your foot. You can start your quest for one of these by looking at the faq in the guitar gear and accessories forum.

Personally, I'd just play everything clean or dirty without switching until I could save up for a nice amp, and do away with the pedal altogether.

I have the same amp he has. It is a very good amp. It has about 11 channels. It's a tiny practice amp so it doesn't have a foot switch unlike Vox's other models.
Quote by -Lateralus-
What about the 3 way switch on the guitar?

Doesn't make one bit of difference.
^No, don't waste your money on a distortion pedal that will soon be outdated when you upgrade your amp. Just live with it until you feel you need to get a bigger amp, then look for one which has footswitchable channels. (And sounds good Ofc.)
Quote by guitarnoobie
I have the same amp he has. It is a very good amp. It has about 11 channels. It's a tiny practice amp so it doesn't have a foot switch unlike Vox's other models.

it doesnt have 11 channels, those are 11 different modes, or voicings for the pre amp. there is a difference. if it had 11 channels then im sure it would be footswitchable.
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.