I've been playing guitar for about a month and a week now, and today I decided to spend about 30 minutes out of my 5 hour daily practice standing up. (which is my first time to attempt standing while playing) but I had a few problems and I need to know if they are normal or if i'm doing somthing wrong.

I play with the neck pickup prettymuch right over the middle of my stomach, and I angle the neck up at about a 45 degree angle. After about the 12th fret, I cannot reach the 4th, 5th, or 6th string with my pinky without muting other strings.

Also, i could not find a way to angle the guitar down, as in I could not get it to rest without being able to see every string and every fret on the board. i'm not sure if thats normal either.

So will I just have to get used to those two problems? or is there somthing I am doing wrong?
you'll get better at it. for the time being, put the guitar higher.

try a height at least as high as it is when you are sitting.

eventually creep it down until you can play without a problem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i dont think ive ever played standing up and ive played for about a year.... maybe i should try it....
Yes the first few times are difficult. Put it up a little bit further and for the beginning you can try putting your left foot on like a slightly elevated surface (box, speaker, whatever). I usually play with the guitar quite low, but for hard parts I often rest my left foot on something.
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
Quote by jj1565
you'll get better at it. for the time being, put the guitar higher.

try a height at least as high as it is when you are sitting.

eventually creep it down until you can play without a problem.

+ 1

Agreed.
just keep it pretty high. i do that, people say i look retarded but i play better than them so i dont care.
try playing standing up for your whole practice time, then when you're used to it, adjust the strap according to how you like it
Quote by Ed Hunter
The only time I'd want to touch a 500 degrees frying pan is to set my hand on fire and punch someone in the face.

Quote by Captain Insano
Soulja boy! They stole his gold.
Robbed his Jacket now he's cold!

YOU! Steal from Soulja boy.

*sings over crank that*
Yea man even at middle of stomach is kinda high, but play mostly standing up just for a week or two and you will get used to it quickly.it started to feel weird to sit down and play for me but im startin not to any more
Quote by withgunstoglory
try playing standing up for your whole practice time, then when you're used to it, adjust the strap according to how you like it

Well I would, but even after my first 30 minutes my shoulder and back were hurting pretty bad because i'm not used to the weight, so theirs no way I could last 5 hours! so i'm just going to have to work my way up in time duration.
I almost always play standing up...I like to head bang and pretend I'm on stage hahah...you'd figure I get enough of that actually playing live but no lol
Yeah it's tricky if you've mainly been practicing sitting down. I think the first time I played guitar I was standing up though
not to overwhelm you but after you get used to plying standing up, play in front of a mirror and watch your chord hand thru the mirror pretty soon you will find that you dont need to look at the neck as much.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
wow. never practice sitting down.... it's horrible cuz when you try standing you're so screwed. if you cant get used to it, play in front of a mirror to help you see what fret you're at and stuff like that. so you dont have to play while looking directly at the fretboard.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I had a lot of trouble standing up when i first started.
Learning scales and being able to play them at will
without looking makes standing up easier...

When you stand up..dont look at the string..look at the
dot inlays on the edge of the neck.

Play with your most comfortable guitar. I know my squire
is not as cool as my idol or my sg but it is the most comfortable
guitar i have standing up.

every guitar is different. I play my squire a little above waist
hight...but..my SG has to be slung really low to get it.

Try this...stand up..focus on playing the correct string ..no fretting.
when you get comfortable at playing the correct strings accurately
then try some simple fretting. Try to get in to scales next..Thats
the ruitine i went through. Some other players can help you add
to that...
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
i played standing up a bunch before i got the feeling down..........only problem now is...i prefer standing to sitting lol.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Quote by withgunstoglory

Definitely a good idea. Be best if the OP just stood while he played til he gets used to it. Get things adjusted the way you like. Then sit down if you feel like it after you've got things all set the way you like.
pretty much just have the guitar at the level you fell most comfortable with when standing up, you'll eventually get used to it
Wow it seems a lot of people have or are having trouble switching from sitting down to standing up. It came almost natural for me. I'd recommend spending about 60% of your practice time standing up.
Quote by apak
wow. never practice sitting down.... it's horrible cuz when you try standing you're so screwed. if you cant get used to it, play in front of a mirror to help you see what fret you're at and stuff like that. so you dont have to play while looking directly at the fretboard.

Because everyone wears their guitars so bloody low. Your guitar should hang at the exact level it does while sitting on your lap, or even slightly higher as I have my Ibanez, to the point where it doesn't even touch my lap while sitting down. The extra control and accuracy you get is far worth it.

And if you really really want to wear it super low, then start that way otherwise you wont get the hang of it.
Quote by TimmyPage06
Because everyone wears their guitars so bloody low. Your guitar should hang at the exact level it does while sitting on your lap, or even slightly higher as I have my Ibanez, to the point where it doesn't even touch my lap while sitting down. The extra control and accuracy you get is far worth it.

And if you really really want to wear it super low, then start that way otherwise you wont get the hang of it.

Meh, I disagree. Sure, for technique & mechanics it might be 'proper', but you should simply have your guitar where it feels comfortable for you.
Gahhh I remember the first time I tried playing standing up....so lame :[
Quote by burrit0
Pshh, Christians rebel against evil.

-Gibson Les Paul Custom -
-Random acoustic guitar that's 36 years old -
-Epiphone Dot Deluxe -
-Gibson Les Paul Studio -
-Epiphone PR200E -
So happy to see I'm not alone with this problem :-). It's fine when I put my foot on something, but otherwise it feels like I'm degraded a whole "level" of playing (whatever that means) when I'm standing up, a bit like when you're playing drunk. It's a little bit of a comfort to see Petrucci wearing his guitar high, like some ballroom/wedding band guitarist :-D
This is just something that comes with time playing.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
I still can't play standing. I'm more of a hobbiest, so I don't have to worry about playin shows or standing.
I hardly ever play sitting down!

Pretty much as soon as I started playing electric instead of acoustic I started spending my entire time playing standing up! And still do, unless im playing an acoustic..
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,
Tanglewood Odyssey Acoustic.

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

http://www.last.fm/user/TomWales/
I, too, hardly ever play electric guitar sitting down. And it's kinda funny because after years of playing mostly standing up I feel I can't get the some touch to my playing if sitting down... Even when putting down tracks in recording studio I need to play standing up just to get the feel to my playing.

...playing acoustic guitar is a different thing.
ummmmmm, you practice 5 hours a day?
just a little math...
ok, 1 month, 1 week... lets say 37 days.
185 hours practice so far...
and now to my main question... WHY DO YOU NEED TO SEE THE FRETBOARD AFTER 185 HOURS?
If its really killing you that much, make your strap a little longer, and tilt the body a little with your thigh...
as for the angle of the neck... yes, its ment to tilt up a bit... 45 seems a bit extream try a broader strap, maybe buy a weight for the head of your guitar or move the straplock position.
For the muting, its just cause you're not used to the angle of the guitar, you'll get used to it...
hope i helped
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
i learnt standing up, so i could walk about and play at the same time. and when i sit down now everything is easier.
When sitting down, make sure you only use the classical position. That's what I did and I had absolutely no problems whatsoever playing standing up. When in the classical position sitting down, you have the guitar in a very similar way to when standing up.

Also wear you guitar high, try not to worry about looks at all. Only inexperienced teenagers will think you are cool with your guitar low anyways.
hmm this is why im happy i started playing while standing up right away, i cantplay sitting down as well lol

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
it jus kinda happaned for me after about 6 months, at first i couldnt play standing, then i jus tried again after a few months and it was just the same as sitting so i think it comes just when youre more used to playing
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube
Just get the guitar to the height you feel good with and practice, with time and practice you will get used to play standing then you will start lowering it and then you can play like some people almost with the guitar at the floor xD.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P