On justin guitar's lesson on the major scale he like many other players use the CAGEDc system. My question is on example 1 of the lesson it says Major (E) shape. Is this E major or another key?
Don't worry about the (-note here-) shape. It's just a peice of useless information.

Since no frets are given, there is no specific scale. Just the patterns. Try them in the key of G. To get you started the first pattern would start on the 3rd fret E string. Start from the root note, it makes things in the future easier.
Quote by Ze_Metal
Don't worry about the (-note here-) shape. It's just a peice of useless information.

Since no frets are given, there is no specific scale. Just the patterns. Try them in the key of G. To get you started the first pattern would start on the 3rd fret E string. Start from the root note, it makes things in the future easier.

well, that note in the brackets shows what 'chord' is in teh scale
if you look closely, you can find the E-shaped barre chord in there

but just in case u dont see it, here it is:
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SC-001-TheMajorScale.php
the red ones are what make up the chords
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Very, VERY, helpful site!! Free, too.
Yes, just a shape. Doesn't mean there will be a E barre in the scale because it's going to vary. I've seen nin3donian post a bit, he seems like he's new to guitar so I doubt he even learned barre chords yet.

But Nin3, he is right when you get into barres and different shapes I suppose it'll help a tiny bit, but not by much.