In several songs, Claypool fires off a very rapid stacatto of notes for a few seconds before going back to the riff, much faster than I can achieve by straight up slapping.

It can be heard towards the beginning of "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver" and "Seargant Baker," and about 15 seconds into Sausage's "Temporary Phase"

I've tried tapping, slapping and popping as fast as possible, and flamenco-style three-finger upstrokes, and none have worked. I can approximate a rough version of it through Fieldy-style "thumb and pinky slapping", but it sounds very sloppy and inaccurate.

How is it done?
I think you mean double-thumbing. Its a fast series of slap and pop notes. Theres a short video of Marcus Miller doing it on YouTube. Search "double-thumb Marcus Miller." The clip should pop up, or some similar ones.
my friend uses his index and middle finger kinda like you usually play finger style but hits the string on the pu like slap so he can play some primus songs...if that helps

ps: not a bassist, its just something i saw my buddy do when he tried to play"my name is mud"
listen to my double thumbing + index recording

it sucks, but you should get the idea
"Aww what’s the matter? You’re the one who started this game. Now you’re losing and you don’t want to play any more."
-Vegeta
I actually think this person is referring to Claypool playing really darned fast with his fingers. There's another run like these in Tommy the Cat which isn't quite as fast... I believe its a combination of a fast right hand and sliding with the left.
Quote by aguacateojos
I actually think this person is referring to Claypool playing really darned fast with his fingers. There's another run like these in Tommy the Cat which isn't quite as fast... I believe its a combination of a fast right hand and sliding with the left.

In Tommy the Cat, I think he plays those runs by strumming with his nails while sliding with his left hand.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
n Tommy the Cat, I think he plays those runs by strumming with his nails while sliding with his left hand.

I agree. The same thing with that fill in the intro Wynona. Les isn't really that fast of a slapper, so you don't need to be anywhere near 'Classical Thump' speed to play his stuff.
If you can do his strumming, a fast finger technique gets you the same sound.
I was just going to cut and paste the part of this interview that Claypool talks about his "playing techniques" but I forgot how funny most of it is, so its worth a complete read...

http://www.ram.org/music/primus/articles/bp1.html
Quote by anarkee
I was just going to cut and paste the part of this interview that Claypool talks about his "playing techniques" but I forgot how funny most of it is, so its worth a complete read...

http://www.ram.org/music/primus/articles/bp1.html

wow, A Claypool artivle I'd not read, that use of two A and two G strings sounds intriguing...may have to experiment

nice find anarkee
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"