Page 1 of 2
LP51122
UG's Biggest Questionair
1,849 IQ
hey,

i'm getting bored with SRV, hendrix, and clapton licks. recommend me some unique blues players that i can get some licks from!
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
blue_strat
UG Amplified Editor
1,481 IQ
Jeff Healey
Scott Henderson
Walter Trout
Robben Ford
Larry Carlton
Joe Bonamassa
Jackal58
Pit Daddy
2,486 IQ
Tommy Castro, Johhny Winter, Albert Collins, Freddie King, B.B. King, Albert King (All the Kings ) Ronnie Earl, Tab Benoit, Roy Buchanan, Ana Popovich, Earl Times, Popa Chubby, Jimmy Vaughn, R L Burnside, George Thorogood, Duane Allman, Elvin Bishop, J J Cale, Cephus and Wiggins, Johhny Copeland, Ike Turner, Gary Moore. I could do this for a very long time.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Ramblin'_Man
UG's Reggae fanatic
1,959 IQ
DUANE ALLMAN, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes, Rory Gallagher, Toy Caldwell(definitely has some blues in his playing), Robert Cray, JJ Cale, G. Love, John Lee Hooker, Elmore James, Earl Hooker, Billy Gibbons, Johnny Winter, Ry Cooder, Otis Rush, Taj Mahal, BLind Willie Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson
theneildeal
UG's Jazz Guru
1,531 IQ
There's a british guy called Neil Flynn who i think is awesome
UG's Stock Market Guy

Hablo Español
Wǒ néng shuō Zhōngwén

So you can speak to me in English, Spanish or Chinese

My Recordings:

Dissident Blues
El Farol
Lenny
We'll Make This Work
Stop This Train
Dimebag22
☮ ♥ ♫
505 IQ
Quote by theneildeal
There's a british guy called Neil Flynn who i think is awesome

Yeah, I've heard some of his songs, but most of them suck ass.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
meh!
Doin' DAT FUNKY DANCE
2,037 IQ
Robben Ford.
Larry Carlton
Danny Gatton
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
dr_john
yer blues
278 IQ
robben ford has been mentioned a couple of times, i agree with that.

don't forget peter green, not doing much these days but definitely 'unique' in his day.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
BluesLP1990
116 IQ
there's a band called 'Indigenous' that does some real unique southwest electric blues type stuff. I've only heard a few of their recordings but the guitarist is very impressive
Underjoggle
Insane eyes
924 IQ
Jack White.
"Ball And Biscuit" is great, or maybe his cover of "Death Letter".
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
master
UG Board King
1,387 IQ
Quote by Underjoggle
Jack White.
"Ball And Biscuit" is great, or maybe his cover of "Death Letter".

+1.

Even if you don't like him you will definitely learn A LOT by listening and playing the stripes and the Raconteurs. He's probably the most original guitarist in a very long time.
I adore him
kill_busted
El Profesional
116 IQ
lee clayton
i think about my life,
and the midnight highway...
the life of a renegade
king

Member #7 of the I Love Hayley Williams Club! PM Gibson_SG_uzr55 to Join
ze monsta
I wonder why I stay
419 IQ
Quote by master
+1.

Even if you don't like him you will definitely learn A LOT by listening and playing the stripes and the Raconteurs. He's probably the most original guitarist in a very long time.
I adore him

They hardly play blues, it's a shame. I wouldn't really call him a blues guitarist.
B and B is an awesome song to play though, except it's piss easy. I don't think you'll learn a lot from listening to him to be honest, because what is he doing that hasn't been done before? I'm with you that he's a great guitarist, and song writer, even that he's one of the most original guitarists in ages but there isn't actually much to learn from him imo.

This is coming from a JW fanboy, as well.
BigTex
124 IQ
Mick Abrahams; MICK ABRAHAMS; MICK ABRAHAMS - no ifs - no buts - The SG King of Blues guitar
master
UG Board King
1,387 IQ
Quote by ze monsta
They hardly play blues, it's a shame. I wouldn't really call him a blues guitarist.
B and B is an awesome song to play though, except it's piss easy. I don't think you'll learn a lot from listening to him to be honest, because what is he doing that hasn't been done before? I'm with you that he's a great guitarist, and song writer, even that he's one of the most original guitarists in ages but there isn't actually much to learn from him imo.

This is coming from a JW fanboy, as well.

Well in my opinion pretty much all of the White Stripes material is blues. It might not be strict 12 bar but it's blues the same way the black keys are blues. I personally learned a lot from him because he helped me develop my own unique style and tone. You might not learn any new technique but you'll appreciate a new way of approaching the guitar. IMHO, of course.
ze monsta
I wonder why I stay
419 IQ
Quote by master
Well in my opinion pretty much all of the White Stripes material is blues. It might not be strict 12 bar but it's blues the same way the black keys are blues. I personally learned a lot from him because he helped me develop my own unique style and tone. You might not learn any new technique but you'll appreciate a new way of approaching the guitar. IMHO, of course.

Been there, done that. Literally got the t-shirt.

I guess there is a lot of blues stuff, like Hello Operator, which is awesome and then theres songs like Pretty Good Looking, which isn't bluesy at all. I had a very Jack White style of playing, but have kinda adapted it to using it almost anywhere. Jack White said all there songs were folk music though, so who knows!
ze monsta
I wonder why I stay
419 IQ
^Do you think Son House's original or The White Stripes cover is better?
Seeing as you have Death Letter lyrics in your sig.

Sorry for the unrelated post.

MONSTA EDIT:

If you like The White Stripes, check out The Soledad Brothers, Johnny Walker taught Jack to play slide guitar! They've unfortunately broken up, but here's their Myspace. This is Johnny Walker's current band, Cut In The Hill Gang's Myspace

Last edited by ze monsta at May 22, 2008,
ColdGin
Look Ma, No Tonic !
67 IQ
Diamond Jim Greene
Keb Mo
Bob Brozman
Joe Louis Walker
Duke Robillard
Lonnie Brooks
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Warren Haynes
Dicky Betts
Derek Trucks
Johnny Winter
T Model Ford
Lightnin Hopkins
Ben Harper
Dan Auerback
Junior Kimbrough
Skip James
Buddy Guy
Hubert Sumlin

To name a few. I actually get a lot of licks from Jazz and Metal....
Sir Anonymous
Pure entropy
148 IQ
Quote by ze monsta
^Do you think Son House's original or The White Stripes cover is better?
Seeing as you have Death Letter lyrics in your sig.

I kind of like The White Stripes' cover, as it's a bit slower and that appeals to me for some reason. Jack White is pretty gutsy to play that sort of blues in today's world.

That said, I can't listen to Walking Blues by Colin James without smiling and that's because of the original.

That really isn't a fair question :P

Also, on topic. T-Bone Walker.
moguitarblues
10 IQ
Lance Lopez
Wes Jeans
Shawn Kellerman
Ben Robinson
Doyle Bramhall II
BB Chung King And The Buddaheads
Last edited by moguitarblues at Sep 29, 2010,
rocknroll93
Warning: Small Parts
501 IQ
Geoff Achison (australian guy)
freddie king
albert king
muddy waters
bb king
joe bonamassa
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
BlueGreen
22 IQ
Robert Cray, Derek Trucks.

Trucks is a modern slide genius... Cray is a boss, unique tone and licks.
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...
DanielShaw123
3,097 IQ
Johnny guitar watson
Definitley JJ Cale as mentioned before
Fabolous thunderbirds first two albums (Jimmie Vaughans band)

......... Trying to think of others that haven't been mentioned......

Leadbelly
Bo diddley
Jimmy reed
Howlin' wolf
Black keys?
claptonfan55
Bluesius Maximus
408 IQ
This was already mentioned, but Warren Haynes would be a good one. Rory Gallagher too.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
stndrdprcdre
mysteriously un******
657 IQ
I was also stuck in the same place you were at one point. Discovering the playing of Robben Ford really got me out of the rut I was in. I'm sure he's been mentioned many times throughout this forum, and for good reason. He's a true blues/jazz fusion master. Also check out a guy named Gregor Hilden. He's this German guy with a crap load of youtube videos showing his playing. Really shows you what happens when you think outside of the scales you're playing.
carmour
243 IQ
if you do nothing else in your life, get a hold of the early pioneers of the genre and take a listen to those sick records

B.B King's early records (48-60)
Freddie King
Buddy Guy's early stuff on chess and his 2 albums on vanguard
Muddy Waters
Little Walter (yeah, not as much lead guitar driven, but the two rhythm guitars locking together really know how to complement each other and back a harp player, tonnes of great records there)