Hey, I've been looking around for buying my first guitar and I was wondering your opinion on what one I should get. I already have an amp keep in mind (I already play electric drums, which I will still continue to do by the way if anyone needs a drumer ) so I'm just looking for a good guitar. I've heard good things about the company Ibanez as a whole and their RG321 and RG2EX1 in particular so far. So something within/ similar to that price range and here are my preferences for specs of the guitar (I did my research ok?):

Electric Guitar
Mahogany Body
24 Jumbo Frets
Tremolo not needed (that's for more expensive guitars anyways, odds are if it's on a cheap guitar, it sucks)
Thin Neck
Humbuckers instead of single coil (as for number of humbuckers, I don't know, it doesn't matter that much cause of course, you can just change them anyways)

So, anyone have any recommendations?
Around $300 or so (again, similar or same price to the RG321 and the RG2EX1).
Rg2ex1 is a great guitar. When I used to play mine the only problem was the intonation was a little off (Just means some of the notes weren't perfect pitch, easily fixable) and the output jack got loose every once in a while (once again, easily fixable)

Other then that it's a really great guitar for $300.
To be honest mate, there's such a huge selection of guitars in that price range, you could be looking for days. The best thing for you to do is try and find the best yourself but playing them in the shop. With an expensive guitar, you can buy online and be pretty much certain that it will be near perfect, but a cheap guitar, you can get a real duff one. But in a shop you can check. The neck needs to be straight, no flaws in the finish, no matter how small they may seem to be, the pickups need to be alligned correctly etc. But I think you should look into Ibanez. Its very to fault them as a company, both for cheap and expensive guitars. They rock! Schecters Damien series, Omen series are both good cheap guitars. Cort do some cheap quality instruments as do Epiphone and the Squire. Yamaha and Jackson are also something you should look into. The Yamaha AES series is very good. The Cort M600 AV apparantly is very good.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at May 12, 2008,
Ok, thanks for the recommendations man, I'll look into them. I also feel lucky because my city has a bunch of different music stores, so there's much variety of what they sell (which means many potential brands too). I feel confident with my inital prediction of the Ibanez RG321 however, since it perfectly fit my prefered specs I stated eariler, but I will still look into others as well (you don't fall in love with the first one you see, eh?).
Quote by Firetech
Ok, thanks for the recommendations man, I'll look into them. I also feel lucky because my city has a bunch of different music stores, so there's much variety of what they sell (which means many potential brands too). I feel confident with my inital prediction of the Ibanez RG321 however, since it perfectly fit my prefered specs I stated eariler, but I will still look into others as well (you don't fall in love with the first one you see, eh?).

Well there's no shame in falling in love with the first guitar you see or play. I mean, out of all the girls in the whole world, how do you know that there's not a better girl for you out there than the girl next door or the girl in your local school. Maybe there is, but you still can be madly in love with that girl next door, she could still be the one!
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Well there's no shame in falling in love with the first guitar you see or play. I mean, out of all the girls in the whole world, how do you know that there's not a better girl for you out there than the girl next door or the girl in your local school. Maybe there is, but you still can be madly in love with that girl next door, she could still be the one!

See? This is why guitarists and musicians in general are awesome - they all think in very unique ways from one another. I mean, comparing guitars to love at first sight with the girl next door? That's awesome. That's awesome.
It's because you learn from playing an instrument. Before you start playing, music is just something you listen to, after...it's much more. It gets so deep, you can feel the musicians emotions. Kind of like enlightenment.
I know what you mean, a spiritual connection with the music, its tone, its vibe, its beat, it moves and influences step after step you take after playing that new solo. You think about different ways to modify that tone, or that note. It gets so close that you name the instrument (I call my drums Freddy and I'm going to call my guitar Ace), it becomes a part of your everyday life, more so than anyother material item invented... Epic.
Well, I don't name my instrument...but yes...that's the idea. Haha
Yes, as I check Musician's Friend, there are a bunch of Hagstrom and Epiphone guitars on sale (like, huge savings, like a $715 Epiphone Les Paul list price guitar for $330 or a Hagstrom Deluxe $700 list price for $300). What does everyone think of these brands?
Music is a way of life. The fortunate people actually make a career out of it and if they work hard enough, can become very wealthy. So yes, there is a strong bind between life and music. We were designed with the abilities to adour a note or a particular piece. The minor chords and scales evoke feelings of sadness, while the majors make you feel uplifted. Harmonic scales have a evil undertone, they create unease inside, due to the scales numbering.
We are built to feel all the different emotions that we can find, and music is one of the ways, like falling in love, that you can discover and erect those feelings.
Quote by Firetech
Yes, as I check Musician's Friend, there are a bunch of Hagstrom and Epiphone guitars on sale (like, huge savings, like a $715 Epiphone Les Paul list price guitar for $330 or a Hagstrom Deluxe $700 list price for $300). What does everyone think of these brands?

Hagstrom, I believe are not the most well known brands for electric guitars. I think its only recently that they have become more popular. But if someone wants to correct there, please do so. Epiphone Les Paul are very good guitars. I own a Custom 1979 Les Paul from Epiphone and its never let me down. Its a perfect instrument. Yes, the Gibson versions have better build quality and its more precise. But for the price you pay, the Epiphone is well worth playing and looking into. Hagstrom do make good instruments btw.