well for starters i am new to this forum and guitars in general, but i really want to learn how to play a real guitar(guitar hero got boring). I have been looking around and i think that an Epiphone would be my best bet (my budget is about $300). I was looking at the SG because it just looks badass but one of my friends said that the weight wasnt balanced or something; anyway is the Epiphone SG a good guitar for a person just starting out in guitars, like me?
The Epiphone G-400 is a good guitar, but you'd need to get a decent amp as well to sound good - a Vox Valvetronix or Roland Cube depending on what kind of music you want to play (the Cube is better for metal and the heavier side of rock).
well i plan on trying to play some metallica and linkin park but im trying to go to my local guitar center on wed so i guess i shall try it out there
Then go for the Cube.

As for guitars, don't settle for just the SG. Play on different ones in your price range, you might find something you thought you wouldn't like.

And welcome to UG.
My first electric was a cheap Ibanez and it was horrible. With instruments, quality is worth every dollar you pay and for a starter guitar don't expect amazing performance from an instrument under $500. That's just my experience. You should invest in a guitar not only for "looks" but for quality as well. Also be careful of knockoffs...
damm my first is a piece of shyt cort lol, the g400 are awesome guitars. but watch out for knockoffs. for amps. try a line 6 spider 30 watt
Quote by AMGram
Also be careful of knockoffs...

Not all knockoffs are bad.

Agile make AMAZING quality LP knockoffs for < $500. TS, if you're not worried about ordering online, go to www.rondomusic.com and take a look at the Agile guitars on there if you want an LP shape.
Quote by FireandFlames
Not all knockoffs are bad.

Agile make AMAZING quality LP knockoffs for < $500. TS, if you're not worried about ordering online, go to www.rondomusic.com and take a look at the Agile guitars on there if you want an LP shape.

Actually he should probably take a look at the SXs, he's still need some money for an amp so he can't spend too much on the guitar. And TS STAY AWAY from the Line 6 Spiders and Marshall MGs, they are just awful amps.
im trying to get a ride to my local guitar center tomorrow and i am bringing(tring to atleast) a friend to help me with my selection