someone recently told me that to write music,you apparently have to "be born with it" and it is somthing that cannot be learned and must come naturally.now i haven't been playing for a long time,so i'm having a hard time writing music,and I just wanted to ask,has anyone had a hard time writing songs when they first started and then gotten better or did you always have the ability to say write a kick ass solo or riff?IDK im still going to keep at it no matter what anyone tells me,but im just curious if anyones ever been in the same situation as me.
My Equipment:

-Ibanez RG370DX

-Marshall MG10CD

-Bad Horsie Wah pedal

Soon Getting a Line 6 Spider III amp.

The Sweep Arpeggios Is The Easy Part

You do not have to be born with it, and you don't need perfect pitch either, just in case you were wondering.

Child prodigies like Mozart were taught music from a very early age, and grew up with it. By contrast, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai both took up the guitar in their mid-teens, and had to work very hard to do it, but they have mastered the instrument and written albums of great material.
yea man if you grow up listening to lotsa different kinds of music then u can develop a skill for writing music.
FALSE. You do not have to be "born with it" It can come naturally, in a way. I've been playing for 5 years i think and writing music is still hard. Although from the beginning it has gotten much much easier. My first riff and solo that I wrote were actually kick ass but they took around 13 hours to write, and it was only 45 seconds long! So just keep on rocking, learning your scales and such and in no time you'll have a screen full of powertab icon. Which kinda sucks cause you can never find the right one lol.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
agreed, you can definitely learn it...im by no means good at it, but hell of a lot better than when i started
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Aye to write music, you dont really need anything but a sense of feel for it. Or ears, but even those have been proven unneccessary. BUT, you do have to know how to play various scales/chords so that when you have something in your head you can emulate it on your instrument of choice.
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
Never let anyone tell u about musical ability coming "naturally". Some ppl are born with good talents, not just in music, but elsewhere. However, most people have to work, and work hard. If theres one thing you need to do well (in terms of quality of music, not money) is a love of music, and willpower to follow through. If theres one thing i wish i was told a lot earlier is that what you achieve is limited mostly by what you think you can do, not by genetics. Just pull an EVH or Vai, play as much as possible (5+ hours a day if u can manage ) and keep rockin on
you can do it. try recording with a band or at least othe rmusicians. music theory really helps you to solo and improvise. just keep trying different ways of making music. approach it like a jimi hendrix approach. even though joe satraini spent 12 hours a day studying music theroy for years, after that he still wanted to take a jimi hendrix like approcach to guitar. and that has obviouysly served him well.
thanks for the feedback,and yeah I also agree that if you work hard at it you'll get better.I have been playing for almost a year,but i almost exclusively have been practicing technique and have just recently begun practicing theory,i am a big fan of neoclassical music and also love melodic music.I have friends that have been playing alot longer than I have so they always help out alot,because of them,I got sweep picking down in a matter of months.I will keep trying though,i never was one to give up at anything.
My Equipment:

-Ibanez RG370DX

-Marshall MG10CD

-Bad Horsie Wah pedal

Soon Getting a Line 6 Spider III amp.

The Sweep Arpeggios Is The Easy Part

You obviously learn to write music, I couldn't write the music I could today a year ago, but you still have to have already in you a sense of artistic ability and a willingness to pursue it. You're not gonna get the Stephen Hawkings of the world (with all due respect to Mr Hawking) making music because people like that don't have the same mindset [toward art] of passionate composers. Of course I certainly don't know Stephen Hawking and there are always exceptions, but generally you don't find people like that heavily involved in art.
I don't know if you are born with it, but I do know as a songwriter that writes and records a lot, it comes very natural to me. I have many guitar playing friends who say that they try hard to write songs and riffs but it never comes very easy. Likewise I have met a few other guitar players like myself where writing comes naturally. So, I would say there is some sort of divide. I think there are many differences between songwriters and strictly players. When I began playing guitar, I wanted to start writing songs right away. I was writing songs (I mean they were horrible, but they were still original songs) from the moment I could play anything semi-coherent at like 2-3 months. I still don't learn very many other people's songs, which sucks when people are like HEY PLAY THIS LOLZZ!!!! and I have to explain that I prefer to write my own songs instead of learning popular songs, but thats another story. So the point is for whatever reason I've always been interested in writing a lot more than playing, and I had to learn how to play well in order to write well.

Another really important thing I feel is to just listen attentively to songs you like and figure out what it is they are doing and why you like them. When I listen to songs nowadays, I always identify elements of the song, by using theory to figure out the chord progressions, noticing parts of the production, or structure of the song. All of these are very important to understand when writing songs, so if you can listen to a song and identify them and see what you like, you can better apply it yourself.

So in all, part of it I feel is "born," as in songwriting comes naturally to me and not so much to a lot of my friends, for whatever reason, and another important part is learned. It is also a two way street, the more I've learned, the more natural it becomes. But I honestly think it does begin with songwriting being natural.
you improve with time and by listening to a wide variety of music and playing styles.

you just need to look at the crap i was writing back when i started song like a year and a half ago compared to what im writing now.

****ty metallica styled crap ---> Metalcore ----> Death Metal -----> Progressive